Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2007 2:27:40 PM EDT
For the younger guys that weren't around at the time...

If you were around during the time of the Vietnam War, would you have joined our Military and fought the communist bastards? Or would you have protested it?

For those that were around...

How many on here actually fought over there? How many were around that time period, but prevented due to not qualifying (Medical reasons, etc)? Or any protesters (Give me your reasons...)?

All I can say is that I would have joined the ranks of my brothers and fought beside them.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would have joined the Marines.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't of joined, but I wouldn't of protested it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Poll Added.

ETA: Saying No on the Poll doesn't mean you would have been a Protester... just atleast gimme your reasons.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Fight.  To hell with hippies.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't join, but if I was drafted, I'd go.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I probably would have joined before they had the chance to Draft me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Same.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:32:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Poll Added.

ETA: Saying No on the Poll doesn't mean you would have been a Protester... just atleast gimme your reasons.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but what did it accomplish?  I mean, we're trading with Vietnam today.

Again, this may just be my own ignorance, and I mean no disrespect to those who served or died.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poll Added.

I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but what did it accomplish?  I mean, we're trading with Vietnam today.

Again, this may just be my own ignorance, and I mean no disrespect to those who served or died.

We're trading with the Chinese today. Some debate whether they are still communist or not.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright, we have one vote saying they actually protested the war. What were your reasons for doing so? Do you still have those same feelings today as you did back then? Regrets?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poll Added.

We're trading with the Chinese today. Some debate whether they are still communist or not.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow.  Are you saying the Chinese aren't communist now because we fought in Vietnam?  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Not willingly.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alright, we have one vote saying they actually protested the war. What were your reasons for doing so?

Maybe Ron Paul is posting on ar15.com?  
(I'm KIDDING - please don't get angry at me if you're a Ron Paul supporter.  Just trying to illustrate that there are reasons for being opposed to wars like Vietnam that don't have to mean someone is a stinky hippy!)

Ron Paul served in the Air Force (flight surgeon).
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad served in Vietnam, retired Army, and when I was still in high school I was talking to him about joining the military since recruiters from every branch were coming after HS seniors.  I don't know if I've got the dedication to voluntarily enlist in the military, I don't think I'm that good a person.  But if my country needed me to, I'm there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:37:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Poll Added.

I'm sorry, I don't quite follow.  Are you saying the Chinese aren't communist now because we fought in Vietnam?  

No, I still believe they are Communists. Others don't think so...

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alright, we have one vote saying they actually protested the war. What were your reasons for doing so?

(I'm KIDDING - please don't get angry at me if you're a Ron Paul supporter.  Just trying to illustrate that there are reasons for being opposed to wars like Vietnam that don't have to mean someone is a stinky hippy!)

I know - I remembered that after I posted, and then tried to remove it before it got quoted.

Still - Ron Paul joke aside - my point that I tired to make (poorly ) was that people of principle can be opposed to a war like that to the point of protesting, but not be a smelly hippy.

ETA:  I also misread the poll, and though it said "would you have protested" and not "did you protest".  All in all, I suck at this thread!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I put "NO" in the poll because I didnt read the thread first. I would never "Want" to fight in any war....now if I was In the Military or about to be drafted...No Problem with going...

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know - I remembered that after I posted, and then tried to remove it before it got quoted.

Still - Ron Paul joke aside - my point that I tired to make (poorly ) was that people of principle can be opposed to a war like that to the point of protesting, but not be a smelly hippy.

ETA:  I also misread the poll, and though it said "would you have protested" and not "did you protest".  All in all, I suck at this thread!!

Minus one now.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<on behalf of your students>
Please don't grade any exams tonight!
</on behalf of your students>
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I put "NO" in the poll because I didnt read the thread first. I would never "Want" to fight in any war....now if I was In the Military or about to be drafted...No Problem with going...

That's pretty much my stance with the poll, and what I voted...I wouldn't want to go at war at all, but if my country called, I'm there.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I enlisted in 71. I would have gone 18 months after my father returned from there. Put Viet Nam as overseas station of choice on the dream sheet. Wound up in Germany instead. Never did understand that. FWIW I supported the war instead of protesting but I probably wouldn't have if I knew what I know today. Either way if I would have been drafted to serve I still would have went. I never could figure out the route to Canada. No mapquest back then
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#23]
No.

It may sound fun, but it wouldn't be... Even if you were guaranteed to live through it. (by "god")
You would still have to watch your friends die around you, come home to a country that hates you, and be disrespected most of your life.

I oppose that war, but I am no hippy and stand by our soldiers. It's the politicians and hippies that I don't like.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:46:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's pretty much my stance with the poll, and what I voted...I wouldn't want to go at war at all, but if my country called, I'm there.

Yep, like I said ealier, saying "No" doesn't mean you were against it or anything... it just means that you wouldn't have wanted to go (or in any war for the matter). Again, that doesn't mean you were Jane Fonda's Dildo or anything.

Just post your Reasons...
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Knowing how LBJ, McNamara and a bunch of other "leaders" fucked things up, I had to vote no.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:50:30 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad served in Vietnam, retired Army, and when I was still in high school I was talking to him about joining the military since recruiters from every branch were coming after HS seniors.  I don't know if I've got the dedication to voluntarily enlist in the military, I don't think I'm that good a person.  But if my country needed me to, I'm there.

My father punched a hole in the wall when he found out I joined.  

I get the idea he's proud now...  He put up by a family portrait in that spot on the wall.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Yeesh - I dunno. I can honestly say that the Viet-nam war seems like the one I would least like to get directly involved in. Aside from ambushes in the jungle not sounding fun - I think the early problems with the M16 (who would want to find out about THAT the hard way?) and the overall wishy washy, inept leadership cost lives unnecessarily. If I was alive at the time I probably would go the route of my dad and join the Navy or Air Force.

Well - if we are playing 'what if' I would join the air force at any time in history if I could fly. Unfortunately, in reality they dont let people as blind as me near multi-million dollar planes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Wasn't it all in vein anyways?

Hindsight questions suck.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Hell yes!

The War was a noble and well intentioned.

The leadership [Executive Branch] was deplorable.

But Truman and Ike deserve an equal amount of scorn,
for their backing of the French re-colonization.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Would have gone, volunteered or drafted.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Hell yes! My grandfather (navy) and father (army) both saw combat in Nam and they're always saying that I would have had a great time there. My family has a very long military history and is always volunteering for combat. I did my time in the USMC but that was a relatively peaceful time between major conflicts. Other people see war as hell, the men in my family generally see it as an extended camping/hunting trip and a chance to "get some".

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#32]
I would have, wasnt born yet though.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#33]
yes because all the vet's I speak to around here say that back then there was NOTHING around this area unlike today, you either joined the .mil or you worked on the farm
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Wasn't it all in vein anyways?

Hindsight questions suck.

I have always believed that one man can make a difference... thats why I voted yes. Even knowing the outcome of the war.

From a Military aspect, we did not lose the war.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 2:59:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hell yes! My grandfather (navy) and father (army) both saw combat in Nam and they're always saying that I would have had a great time there. My family has a very long military history and is always volunteering for combat. I did my time in the USMC but that was a relatively peaceful time between major conflicts. Other people see war as hell, the men in my family generally see it as an extended camping/hunting trip and a chance to "get some".

Sounds just like my beliefs as well... I have never had a fear of dieing. Bring It!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I would have joined the Marines.

I Did.

Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
yes because all the vet's I speak to around here say that back then there was NOTHING around this area unlike today, you either joined the .mil or you worked on the farm

My dad said that he never owned more than one pair of shoes at a time until he got drafted in 1953. Of course we're from rural western Maryland, just a 10 minute drive from your beautiful state, so I'm guessing the circumstances were similar.

Hell yes I would have joined. Once a war has began, your only choice is to try and win it, right?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#38]
The man who raised me did 3 combat tours.
He once told me we would have had a good time together, I believed him.
Makes me cry.

Since Im 43 and never enlisted I cant see how I could answer I would have went. Its not in me to trust someone I dont know with my well being but Im all for killing commies
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

+1

I turned 17 in '75 , the war was over then.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#40]
It's kinda hard to get excited about putting you ass on the line if your country is going to leave without finishing the job.

That's why I hate all of this talk about walking away from Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#41]
I would have tried my damnedest to get into the Rangers, LRRP, SF or MACV-SOG.

If I had been guaranteed one of those, I would have been there most ricky tick.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I was ready to get out in 1966 but my unit was going over in 65(I had just come back from a short tour) Army regs says that two short tours cannot be back to back.

I  was going to go because the 1St sargent had told me that if I did i would do six months and then be sent home!

But my opperations Sargent told me that they had lied to me because they would not send me back home after six months because of a simple thing called COG!

Convinence Of Goverment  I would be sent back at the next troop rotation.

I simply just said Thank You but no thank you!

Besides my younger brother was allready over there(he extended another year)he is a Marine(they do strange things)  May God bless all those that actually chose to be there!

It was not a place to be unless you really want it!

To all those of Normandy,Omaha,Viet-Nam,Frozen Chosine,Burma,Battan,Tripoli,and Gettysberg ,dessert storm,OIFD,and all Military opperations I Salute you!

May God Bless the American Fighting man and give him strenght to carry on a fine tradition!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Well, since I went and joined the Marines during the Iran Hostage Crisis in 1979 after my girlfriend dumped me, I don't doubt that I would probably have done the same thing in 1969 given the same circumstances.

Emotional seventeen year-olds don't think things out too well sometimes.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#44]
I can't honestly answer that knowing what I know now. I'm not downplaying what Vietnam Veterans did, but considering the outcome I'm just not sure. Add to that I'm not sure what my thinking would have been in that period of our history. I can't simply apply my current level of patriotism to 4 decades ago. It was a completely different time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
You bet your ass I would have.  I don't shirk my duty, no matter how unpopular.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I voted no... I am a pussy
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same.

Me, too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:58:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Had my country asked....yes, I would have gone.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:20:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Yes.  Then again, I volunteered for Iraq.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 4:20:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Yes.  Then again, I volunteered for Iraq.

Heck, I got both, in true ArfCom fashion.

Let me explain, however, why I didn't vote in the poll.  

While I get to wear the VN 'gimmee' ribbon, I don't have the 'real' time in country one.

I joined the Navy, went into submarines.  Not conducive to combat time in the jungle.  We passed through the 'war zone' going from one place to another, so I get to wear what I got, but I don't consider myself a 'Vietnam veteran' in the sense of someone who did a tour on the ground (or more), or flew over the place and bombed the crap out of stuff, or anything like that.  I don't wear the ballcap, have the license plate on my car, or any of that shit.  

OTOH, I would have done whatever I was told to do, like anyone else.  

In Iraq, I was not in combat, or the .mil.  Just a DOD civilian.  Didn't get shot at much, just the usual FOB mortars, rockets, and poorly aimed AK stuff, and not much of any of that.  (Added - Me and everybody else anywhere in Iraq got at least the same level of this that I did)  So again, not a 'veteran', in the sense of many here.

Shit happens, sometimes it happens to you, but it never happened to me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top