Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2001 6:20:48 AM EDT
I first read the trilogy in 1978,about two years ago I re-read it.Is anyone else out there a Tolkien fan?Have you found any other like stories by a different author worth reading.[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I read the series as well.  Really liked it.  I'm not one to re-read books though.  I can't recall a book in that genre that was as good.  I don't read as much fantsy stuff as I used to.  I mostly like Michael Crichton and Clancy and a lot of other authors that I read when I go to Half Price Books and load up on cheap reading material.

ps.  Richard Marchinko is actually pretty entertaining.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:32:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I read the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy first in sixth grade and several times since. You should try the "Silmarillian" (sp?). It's about the first and second ages of Middle Earth. The Trilogy was set in the Third age.

I strongly recomend the "Wheel of Time" series written by Robert Jordan. So far there are nine books and they are quite addictive. I'll even go so far as saying that these books put Tolkien to shame. Tolkien was the forerunner to fantasy and R.J. has taken it to a new level.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I mostly read war stories of our more recent conflicts[mainly from Desert Storm on]and also books on the Falkland Islands War.But if I knew of a fantacy writer with the skills of Tolkien,I would'nt hesitate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I just finished reading the LOR for the second time.
If you are a fan then you will enjoy David Edings and Terry Brooks.
I have read some others but these two are my favorites and they have enough books out there to keep you going for a bit.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
about to finish LOR for the third time, I read it twice long ago, thought I'd read up on it now that the movie is coming out
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:05:01 PM EDT
[#6]
First read the Hobit in the 5th grade,followed by the Ring Trilogy.To date I've read the whole series about 6X's each.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a consistant re-reader of LOTR, and I assigned The Hobbit to my 5th and 6th graders as their literary assignment last year. Have read the Silmarillion twice(it's more like a history book), and eagerly await the first movie in the series, The Fellowship of the Ring, due out on Dec. 19.(Woohoo! Movie![:D])

Really, no other fantasy writer except for perhaps C.S. Lewis appeals to me as much as Tolkiens' work in LOTR. In my educated opinion, this is because he threw his life, his professional knowledge and skill with ancient languages and mythology and his experience as a professor at Oxford into his books, LOTR and Silmarrilion especially.

Tolkien achieved greatness, because he created a complete, logical and complex universe, with it's own history and hierarchy.

I do enjoy Gordon R. Dickson's work, he writes like a scientist, and somehow I appreciate that.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I just re-read them last month when I was stranded in Canada, I forgot how good they were. There is no one who comes close.

The part that really affected me this time was the bittersweet victory. Sauron was gone, but the Elves and Dwarves would soon pass into history too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Terry Brooks

The sword of Shanara
The eLfstones of SHanara
The widhstone of shanara

Read about 15 years ago..pretty good

[beer]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If you enjoyed Tolkien,  you will enjoy David Eddings, Robert Jordan, and Stephen R. Donaldson.  David Drake write very good novels as well.  Both fantasy and military SciFi.  I actually met him at a book signing once, very friendly!

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Gotta love it!

Have you guys seen the trailer for LOTRs movie.  The next three chirstmasses are going to be WONERFULL!!  

There is a LOTR show at casaloma Toronto starting on Oct 31.  My kids and I are going for sure.  I have been reading the hobbit to them for the past few months and my daughter has started to read the rings on her own.

By far the best of the genera it started.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Gotta love it!

Have you guys seen the trailer for LOTRs movie.  The next three chirstmasses are going to be WONERFULL!!  

There is a LOTR show at casaloma Toronto starting on Oct 31.  My kids and I are going for sure.  I have been reading the hobbit to them for the past few months and my daughter has started to read the rings on her own.

By far the best of the genera it started.
View Quote

Oop, almost forgot-

LOTR Fellowship of the Ring trailer here...

[url]http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/fellowship_of_the_ring/[/url]

Yeah, these movies are going to be very faithful to the books, as much they can be in the film medium. Personally, I look forward to them more than any other movie to date.

Juggernaut
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I first read the trilogy in 1978,about two years ago I re-read it.Is anyone else out there a Tolkien fan?Have you found any other like stories by a different author worth reading.[>]:)]
View Quote

tolkien fan here. I can't wait for the movie. Looks like they are going by the book on this one. As far as something as good. I recommend The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. He creates a vivd world and characters much like Tolkien did. I highly recommend it if you are a Tolkien fan.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
for a funny parody, read "bored of the rings".  i forget who wrote it.

[url]http://www.almac.co.uk/personal/timw/books/bored.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:03:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Whatever you do don't read anything by David Eddings, Robert Jordan, or Terry Goodkind.  What they write is worthless drivel and a good way to waste your life.  The plots are too simple and predictable, they are the backstreet boys/britney spears of the fantasy genre.

I recommend "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin.  The next two in the series are "A Clash of Kings" and "A Storm of Swords".  They are pretty "gritty" and realistic, with great plot twists.  Things happen that you could not possibly imagine (like they do in real life).

Also look for "The Black Company" by Glen Cook.  That is the first in his series.  It is a military fantasy much like the ones I described above.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I love Bored of the Rings!  Finally, someone else thats read it, let alone heard of it...

It was published by the Harvard Lampoon IIRC, I'll have to go read it again now.

Ah yes, Dildo Bugger and the land of Chikken Noodul.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:52:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I tried to start reading Tolkien's books when I was reading a lot of the TSR fantasy novels, but I just couldn't get into Tolkein's writing style... it's unique.  I have seen the older animated Lord of the Rings trilogy, so I am familiar with it... I'm looking forward to the movies!
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't tell you how many times I've read and reread The Hobbit and the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.  I can't wait for the movie. I hope it's not a let down.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:07:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
for a funny parody, read "bored of the rings".  i forget who wrote it.

[url]http://www.almac.co.uk/personal/timw/books/bored.htm[/url]
View Quote

It was put out by the National Lampoon.  I love the part when Frito turned the gun on Gollum and: "Pity stayed his hand.  'Pity I've run out of bullets,' he thought."

Lent out my copy last year and never got it back.  Great book.

Movie looks great too.  Just bought the whole cartoon series at Costco for like seven bucks each.  Too bad they didn't produce the second half of the movie as well as they did the first.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:34:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Raymond E. Feist has an extensive fantasy series setup, beginning with "Magician."  They are a pretty good read.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Campybob and Shazbat, another "Bored" fan here.  I still laugh thinking about "Tim Benzedrino".
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I found Eddings Belgarion series the best read since the Lord of The Rings
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Have read the Hoggit and Trilogy three times and will do so again when work or other distractions can't get in the way.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:37:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Along the same lines are the Shannara series by Terry Brooks.  Fantasy, magic, druids, cool shit like that.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#25]
IMHO,, the only other trilogy that even comes close to creating an emersive world like tolkien's middle earth,,, would be the "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever" series by Stephen R. Donaldson.  He has created a world of magic,, with true evil present. The original three are excellent,, the second series of 3 were kinda lame. I can think of no other that can even come close to LOR or the Covenant series. The Shanarah books are close but seem to fall just a bit short of reaching that engrossing magical fantasy feeling that we all want to be a part of.

Series One
 Lord Foul's Bane  [devil]
 The Illearth War
 The Power that Preserves

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Snipped <<< the only other trilogy that even comes close >>> snipped.
View Quote

Ok,, Dune was pretty good too! (Sci/Fi,, but fits the bill).
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#28]
The trilogy was and is a Classic.Time spanned 20 years between my first reading and my second,and I believe it was better the 2nd time.I'm glad to see that its still required reading in schools.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Piers Anthony's Split Infinity series isnt bad either. About the interactions of two realities, one of technology and one of magic.
Robots and computers in one and Unicorns and magic in the other. Intertaining to say the least. Good mix of science fiction and fantasy.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I have high hopes for Lord of the Rings. if its no better than Dungeons & Dung the movie, then i'll just have to break out Willow and the original Record of Lodoss War to watch again.

I wish either the Dark Elf trilogy or the Crystal Shard trilogy would be made into a move. i like Drizz'ts personal reflections and philosophy. R.A. Salvatore is a good Fantasy action writer. great character development.

also if Margreit weis and Tracy Hichman write the screenplay for Tales of the Lance and get decent actors who care about their parts, WOW! what a splendid trilogy of films that would make.

Heres to hoping that Lord of the Rings lives up to its legacy!! lib
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#31]
From what I have seen of the trailers it will live up to it.  They even went so far as to film all three books in one session so as to keep all the actors the same.  That way we do not get muliple Galdalfs etc.

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh man I can't believe it.  I am actually reading the Trilogy to my kids right now.  I have lost track of the number of times I have read The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings.  I chose my nickname (Daggar) because it had a LOTR sound to it and I knew no one else would have it.  You might want to try reading Richard Adams' "Watership Down" that is very similar to LOTR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#33]
I read the Hobbit to my wifes stomach while she was pregnant with our son,he's 2years old now.When he turns 4,I'll read it to him again and see if he remembers anything.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered the Hobbit, & LOTR after reading this last night.  What is the 3rd book?  What other books are involved with this such as the Silmarillion?

Thanks

Mike
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:27:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I ordered the Hobbit, & LOTR after reading this last night.  What is the 3rd book?  What other books are involved with this such as the Silmarillion?

Thanks

Mike
View Quote

The Return of the Ring is the third book in the LOTR trilogy.

BTW The Silmarillion was written over the entire course of Tolkien's literary career. He never lived to see it published. His soin Cristopher compiled the book from all of J.R.R. Tolkiens notes.

Also, you should check out The Book of Lost Tales 1&2.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You might want to try reading Richard Adams' "Watership Down" that is very similar to LOTR.
View Quote

God I love that book.  The movie is cool to in sort of a trippy '70s way.  I never really equated it with LOTR but the best rabbit book ever written.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#37]
 Man, I read Watership down and it blew me away
on the same order that the trilogy did.
 I caught a bit of it on the tube and went and bought the book.
 I never regreted it.

Beware the hrududu.

Chuck
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 11:16:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Raymond E. Feist has an extensive fantasy series setup, beginning with "Magician."  They are a pretty good read.
View Quote

I read the first one, and loved it. Started reading the second one, couldn't finish it and hated it by half way through. There was just something about "Magician: Master" that didn't sit right with me. Weird.
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 8:13:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Is it Return of the Ring or Return of the King?
I'm finding ROTK at Amazon & Halfcom.

Also, how does the Book of Lost Tales relate to the Ring?  Is it set in that time, or earlier like the Silmarillion?

Thanks

Mike
[+]:D]
Link Posted: 10/23/2001 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#40]
The Hobbit

Fellowship of the Ring
Two Towers
Return of the King
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it Return of the Ring or Return of the King?
I'm finding ROTK at Amazon & Halfcom.

Also, how does the Book of Lost Tales relate to the Ring?  Is it set in that time, or earlier like the Silmarillion?

LoL, I meant *King*

The Book of Lost Tales is more in conjunction with the Silmarillion. These books also have to do with the ring because the Silmarillion is about the history of the creation of middle earth.

Alex

Thanks

Mike
[+]:D]
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:29:34 PM EDT
[#42]
The Dragonlance Series was pretty good. It was one of those series that I never wanted to read, then when I finally read it, it turned out better than I thought. Raymond E. Feist's  "Magician" series was worth the time it took to read, but the Elric saga still holds a special place on my bookshelf. There is just something about a half-demon albino, slaughtering people with a soul eating sword, that just seems to keep my attention.

[:D]
Link Posted: 10/24/2001 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I hated the heck out of it the first time I read it. I just re-read it, and skipped every one to three page song.
Without the stupid crap they are great books.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#44]
LOTR was one of the greatest trilogies I have read.  There is also the six-book series of Dune; Fred Saberhagen's Book of Swords trilogy and his Berserker series as well.
Link Posted: 10/28/2001 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Big Tolein fan since the early 80's...  I even waded through the entire "Simarillian" and actually enjoyed it!

But I am also a huge Stepen R. Donaldson fan, but even more, I enjoy David Eddings...

The Belgariad Series rules.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top