BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:58:10 AM EDT
WTF?

Which one of you guys was the sniper???

(CNN) -- A sheriff's deputy who killed six young people at a house party in Crandon, Wisconsin, apparently died after shooting himself three times in the head with a .40-caliber pistol, the state attorney general said.

Initial reports that 20-year-old Tyler Peterson was killed by a police sniper's bullet were apparently incorrect, though it appears the sniper may have shot Peterson in the arm, Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen said.

Although the final forensic determination could take several weeks, the attorney general said that Peterson had his personal .40-caliber Glock when police found him. The three gunshots to the head came from a .40-caliber.

"The three gunshot wounds to the head included two nonfatal rounds with entry points below the chin, and one fatal shot that entered Peterson through the right side of the head," Van Hollen said.

"Each of the three head shots were fired while the gun was in contact with his skin, or extremely close to the skin," he said. "These three head wounds are consistent with self-inflicted wounds, and not consistent with long-range rifle fire."

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
a guess a kaboom could look like three shots, right?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:01:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Fuck-up couldn't even off himself correctly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Under-the-chin shots with a handgun commonly lead to blindness and loss of the nose/mouth, but not immediate death, so its not impossible.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:02:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Good, I hope he suffered a lot.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Me too.

If you were going to kill yourself with a firearm, why wouldn't you put it in your mouth?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:13:10 AM EDT
[#7]
heh, "small town suicide."

not the first, won't be the last.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
A mother of a friend was a nurse practitioner.  Enough time in the ER to have her own opinion of this statistic.  (No clue how this topic started, but) She thought under the chin was a better shot.  She saw too many gun in mouth's miss the brain and just blow out the back side of the head.  She also said too many gun to head attempts result in the person pulling up and just grazing the top of their skull.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]
This guy was just a screw-up.  

But seriously, the autonomic nervous system will continue to function and cause the body to spasm.  It is not uncommon for the spasms to contract the trigger finger resulting in multiple shots.

Just had a guy here shoot himself in the head twice and still lived.

Same with people stabbing themselves fifteen times - usually 14 superficial wounds and one fatal.

<stab>
"Oww!  That hurts!"
<stab>
"Fuck me!"
<stab>
"Damn!"
<stab>....until they finally get the nerve to stab themselves deep enough to cause a mortal wound.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:29:28 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife's cousin was killed by her steroid abusing husband with a shotgun that he turned on himself afterwards.  He blew off half the side of his head and it didn't kill him so he had to do it a second time.

I can certainly believe that his (the officer in this case) first attempts to off himself failed from shooting under the chin.  Looks like his dedication and perseverance paid off in the end.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow! Shooting yourself in the head has to hurt! I hope it hurt like hell. Imagine your surprise when you expect to be dead and your just in an massive amount of pain!

I guess he should have practiced the day before.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#13]
I know of at least one person we deal with occasionally that took a shotgun under the chin.  That was 20 years ago or so.

Another that used a rifle of some kind, walked several hundred yards for help, then made it to a trauma center and is still around.

It is entirely possible.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:31:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Oh he suffered alright when his then girlfriend said " NO more Nookie for You "
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:34:56 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
A mother of a friend was a nurse practitioner.  Enough time in the ER to have her own opinion of this statistic.  (No clue how this topic started, but) She thought under the chin was a better shot.  She saw too many gun in mouth's miss the brain and just blow out the back side of the head.  She also said too many gun to head attempts result in the person pulling up and just grazing the top of their skull.

I know that a shot to the temple with a .38 will result in a dead body and a mess to clean-up.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:40:02 AM EDT
[#16]
It does sound strange but...I worked as a nurse and was discussing head shots with a doctor one night and he mentioned a patient that attemped suicide with a 357 magnum. The bullet entered the skull and literally ricocheted around inside the skull and miraculously the individual had no residual damage. NONE.

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:44:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It does sound strange but...I worked as a nurse and was discussing head shots with a doctor one night and he mentioned a patient that attemped suicide with a 357 magnum. The bullet entered the skull and literally ricocheted around inside the skull and miraculously the individual had no residual damage. NONE.

I bet it was Chuck Norris.  And then he spit the bullet out and it killed a guy across the street.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:54:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I've heard of this happening before, that's some messed up stuff right there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Ahem...this wouldn't have happened if he used a .45!
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:08:10 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

not entirely correct. the cns tends to go on or off. resulting in a tight firm grip that will generally lock the gun in the hand or loss of control dropping it entirely.

i have worked suicides where a second round was fired in the above condition but generlly due to recoil the gun is away from the head and the round goes out in a random direction.

if this kid missed and blew his eyeballs out the resultant shot may have him still capable but generlly the shock from the blast and sudden "oh shit" response negate a second attempt. IMHO and third is simply out of the question.

possible, sure. so is the possibility of little green men showing up an anal probing him.

jmho but this kid wasn't shot 3 times by his hands.  i've been wrong before only time will tell, but i bet we never get the full story.

there is a LOT about the timelines that i have questions about with this incident.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the CNS continues to function if not destroyed by the first round...

Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:08:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Homer Simpson??

Also immune to brain eating zombies.

A machine built for survival in our modern world.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Suicide - Two shots....

3 shots with a 12 gauge...this one is messed up...frikken ozzies dies hard...

It ain't common, but it is possible.

Either way, I hope that the first two times Tyler shot himself were just the beginning of an eternity of agony that he will suffer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Sort of a morbid discussion.

Anyways, I knew a lady that did the deed using a .22lr. It hit some spinal cord stuff enough to make her live in a wheelchair the rest of her life.

She had normal brain function, as far as I could tell.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:36:48 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

But seriously, the autonomic nervous system will continue to function and cause the body to spasm.  It is not unco

Sure, but I don't see someone spasming enough from two in the chin to jerk their hand over to the side of the head and fire again.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:39:21 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Wow! Shooting yourself in the head has to hurt! I hope it hurt like hell. Imagine your surprise when you expect to be dead and your just in an massive amount of pain!

Ya think ?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But seriously, the autonomic nervous system will continue to function and cause the body to spasm.  It is not unco

Sure, but I don't see someone spasming enough from two in the chin to jerk their hand over to the side of the head and fire again.  

I clarified with the statement above that the guy was a screw-up.

The second statement was not referring to him, but others who have shot themselves multiple times.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe it, I know someone who blew off their face, he stuck a 12ga his mouth.

He would have lived longer than the 4 days or so if his dentures and teeth would not have gone into his lungs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya think ?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Well I guess he finally did give her a piece of his mind
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Shot placement, guys. It is all about shot placement! (Well, that and caliber.)
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

[MASH music] Suicide is painful ..when you do it wrong. [/MASH music]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:14:49 AM EDT
[#34]
He should have used a .45
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:23:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#37]
This is why people buy Deagles in .50AE.

Hope the bastard was in serious pain.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#38]
The same kind of .40 caliber Glock that the police searching for him had?

Clearly he wasn't professional enough....
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Fuck-up couldn't even off himself correctly.

I disagree.

He had the gumption to make sure the job got done.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

If you were going to kill yourself with a firearm, why wouldn't you put it in your mouth?

You can still fuck up the angle. Best way is to stick the muzzle against your head right behind the temple.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm thinking that he had some help with at least two of those shots, but we will most likely never know what really happened.  Doesn't matter anyway, the scumbag was DRT and that's all that counts.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember somebody calling him "eating his own gun before it's over" in the first couple pages of the first thread on this topic. Give that man a prize.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:44:04 AM EDT
[#43]
I know of 2 suicide attempts
First one 9mm under the chin, went though the mouth and took out an eye guy lived.
Second shotgun under chin completely mutilated face, guy lived.

My question is if you were down enough to shoot yourself how do you feel after blowing your face off and living, wouldn't you really want to die then?
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Same with people stabbing themselves fifteen times - usually 14 superficial wounds and one fatal.

THAT is dedication
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I remember somebody calling him "eating his own gun before it's over" in the first couple pages of the first thread on this topic. Give that man a prize.
But what about those that predicted suicide-by-cop? *rimshot*

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Isn't it more likely that he was taken out and they just want to protect the guys who pulled the trigger?

Same sort of thing happened around here not too long ago.  There was an Army Reservist that shot his wife from across the street while she was singing kareoke on stage in a local restaurant.  They had everyone you can imagine out looking for him.  He was found shot once in the chest with a 300WM rifle four steps out the front of his trailer with a pistol on his hip.  Called it a suicide.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#47]
I don't know if the patrol carbines are the same as you'd buy over the counter.. but the first thing i thought of was "Burst"
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#48]

Just a guess. Didn't they mention he was using a department-issued rifle?

ETA - just noticed his self-inflicted wounds were with a .40 cal. I heard about the 3 and figured perhaps he used a rifle set to 3 round burst.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Someone needs to find the a video of the southpark homeless episode where the guy shoots himself 10 times.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top