Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:17:49 PM EDT

PHOENIX - David Spade has donated $25,000 to the family of a slain Phoenix police officer.

The 43-year-old comedian said that after reading about Officer Nick Erfle's death last month, he was "hit out of the blue" by the shooting and the fact that Erfle had overcome cancer to return to duty.

"I'm from Arizona so I'm always a little aware of things that are going on there," Spade, a Scottsdale native, told The Associated Press on Monday. "It just struck me as such a rough situation just because cops in general get kind of a bad rap lately and people forget it is the scariest job out there."

Spade, who stars on the CBS sitcom "Rules of Engagement," said he arranged for a money transfer into a bank account already established for public donations.

He has not spoken with Erfle's family or friends.

Spade said he hopes Erfle's wife was able to use the money for the funeral or other expenses. "I just thought I would throw something in the pile," he said.

Erfle, 33, was shot Sept. 18 on a busy street after attempting to arrest Erik Jovani Martinez. Martinez, a 22-year-old illegal immigrant who had been deported in March 2006, gave an alias to conceal an outstanding felony warrant. Unbeknownst to Martinez, the alias belonged to someone who also had an outstanding warrant.

Besides his wife, Erfle left behind two sons, ages 5 and 3.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
tis been done
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top