Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2007 7:14:16 PM EDT
I am having a discussion with a black guy at work regarding the civil rights movement and the Republican party. From what I remember, the GOP was the main supporters for the civil rights movement and the Democrats were strongly against it. Now, I need the proof of this. So, any links and info is greatly appreciated!!

Kris
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#2]
How about that the Republicans freed the slaves for starters. The Democrats were proponents of segregation ever since until they needed their vote to survive.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:15:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As a retired US History teacher, let me give you the short version.  
Lincoln of course was a Republican, and the party was founded partly as an anti-slavery party. The South was known as the "Solid South" back then, usually 100% Democratic so at this time, the Reps were in favor of abolition, and the Dems weren't.  During Reconstruction, a Rep. Congress proposed the 13th-15th Amendments, which freed the slaves, gave them citizenship, and the right to vote.   Most of the "Freedmen" voted Rep.  Let's move to the 20th century.
FDR needed southern votes in Congress to pass the New Deal, so he was mostly "hands off".  He did do things like name M.M. Bethune as an adviser on education and other things, like extending the New Deal to minorities etc.  This is when most blacks joined the Dems.  Truman, also a Dem, started the first permanent council on Civil Rights and integrated  the armed forces.  Brown Vs. The Board was backed up by Ike, a Rep when he called up the 101st to enforce a ruling by a Federal judge and to ensure the safety of 9 black students attending Little Rock HS.  The most famous acts, the Civil Rights acts of 64, 65, and 68 were passed while LBJ, a Dem. was POTUS.  I'm not going to debate the merits of this, I'm only trying to help out a fellow poster.  Please excuse any typos as it's late.
HTH,
GBinSC
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:19:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Demorats are opportunists , they would be for gun rights too if there were votes and political power in it ...
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]
btt
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been told that many of the loosing democrats in the civil rights debate went and joined the Republican party.  I don't know how true it is.  FWIW.

-K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top