Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/7/2007 1:54:23 AM EDT
Hello all.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to choose 1, 9mm from the following manufacturers to buy www.coalcreekarmory.com/index.php/cPath/28?osCsid=3459ee47dfec2d3b2e2427ad178183c5.  You have a total budget of $850 dollars.  That's $850 dollars total, including accessories, not one dollar over $850.  Also, what brands or models should I avoid?

I'm looking to buy my first firearm.  I don't have enough room in my little apartment to put a big, honkin' rifle safe, so a handgun it is.  A .22 is a nice firearm, but doesn't do much for me honestly, (unless it's got a can, which is expensive.).  I figure that 9mm is the next least expensive to shoot, .22lr is cheapest, obviously.

The gun will be exclusively for punching paper at the range.  I live in a really safe area, the apartment complex where I live is patrolled by an armed 5-0, and it's gated.  I can't remember whether he's City of Knoxville or a Sheriff's Deputy.  So, I'm not really that worried about a home invasion.  It fact the last time we had a cop car down near my building was last year.  Somebody was partying too loudly, if I recall right, according to neighbors.  Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
G17.  Its like clockwork.  Any other round I'd look elsewhere though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 1:59:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
G17.  Its like clockwork.  Any other round I'd look elsewhere though.

+2 for the G19. 15 rounds and carries a little better than the G17.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#3]
For a range gun, I would get a Sig P226.

For most any other use, I would get a Glock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
G19

End of thread.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:23:49 AM EDT
[#5]
CZ-75
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
USP Compact 9mm or HK P-2000 9mm.  

I've been a Glock guy for years, but just having purchased a USP Compact 9mm, which is virtually identical in dimensions to a G-19, but with real metal sights standard, and the options of a safety/decocker for cocked and locked carry, I'm appreciating the features an HK has to offer over my G-19.  You also get multiple backstrap inserts to customize the fit in your hand if you opt for the HK P-2000.

And you don't have that silly trigger within a trigger business when your finger touches an HK trigger.

You should be able to get them for well under $800 most places, though that website is pricey.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:30:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
G19

End of thread.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
dedicated target gun only?

I suggest you wait a little bit until you can save up an extra few hundred, and buy this:

Kimber 1911 Stainless Target II (9mm $1113)

or this:
SPRGFLD 9MM STD STS LDD $886.00

Or if you may want to use it for more than just a target gun, try this one for a little less, which could easily be a CCW piece if/when you decide to use one.
Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II - $868 for 9mm
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#9]
G-19 of course, though the comments about being 'not really that worried about a home invasion' sort of miss the point, in a huge way. IMO, of course.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:40:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy a Glock and a ton of ammo or a Sig and a little less ammo. My first choice would be a Sig, but for your "paper punching" it doesn't much matter.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:40:58 AM EDT
[#11]
WAL P99AS 9MM 4" BL 2-15RD

$591.00.

Still leaves a couple hundred for goodies.

I like them better than Glocks.  

Hold the Glock, then the Walther (or vice-versa, it doesn't matter).  Check the trigger pull on both. (With the Walther, you'll have to check both SA and DA).  

Then buy the one you like better, and don't worry about what I, or anyone else thinks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:42:09 AM EDT
[#12]
G34 sounds pretty good for your requirements.

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:43:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock 34 with Heinie sights, a Bladetech holster and pouches and a Wilderness belt.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for the Glock 19. If your budget was $10,000 i'd still say Glock 19 over any other firearm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:36:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Beretta Px4
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:38:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Glock 19. If your budget was $10,000 i'd still say Glock 19 over any other firearm.

Ah, man, beat me to it. I would have to say that if money was not an issue I also would have any Glock (and probably every Glock ).

A lot of people like Sig, but I have never been comfortable shooting it. It just feels funny in my hand.

Ultimately guns are like cars. Find one you like, feels like it was made for your hand and you enjoy shooting. You will be a lot more apt to keep it long term instead falling into the buy, trade, buy, trade syndrome I see happen to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
G19

End of thread.

End of thread ......and $400 left over for savings. I've previously owned Sigs which are since long gone (2-228's,1-229,1-226,1-SP2340) - they're nice pretty toys but on the heavy side for actual carrying - not to mention the pointless double action trigger mode. Sig makes a quality product - its just not realistic if you plan to carry it around day after day. Glock makes an equally reliable product  (if not more reliable) - and its less money.

For $500 you should be able to find a used Glock 19, rugged gunbelt, and a Comp-Tac CTAC or MTAC holster. The new MTAC Minotaur holster is extremely comfortable and much less money then competitive all leather holsters.

I used to be avowed Glock basher HERE on arfcom - just for the sake of bashing Glocks. My Sigs worked fine, looked pretty - but now that I actually carry - the Sig makes more sense. Who cares if the Glock is part plastic - it works. Carry choice shouldn't be determined on what is asethetically pleasing.

Your main reason for a handgun should be concerns over a home invasion or other attack. They're a tool first - not a toy. If you just want a "toy" - and feel that crime can't touch you - buy some impractical toy like a desert eagle.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Forget the glocks and go with a smith & wesson m&p 9 instead. The gun should run you around $520 (or less) out the door so you would have money left over to spend on spare mags, a holster and some mag carriers.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:52:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Springfield XD9. Ask around if anyone has one that you know. Shoot a Glock and then the XD and you will be buying the xd. Plus it comes with some nice goodies and it will run you about 500. Then take the extra money and buy some more mags and lots of 9mm. Remember the winchester value 100 packs are under $16 at walmart.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
lundestudio.com/photos/p226-plain-left-full.jpg

+1

Big P226 fan.  You can easily find on in your price range.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:59:32 AM EDT
[#22]

S&W 910 4" 9MM BLUE 2-15RD $482.00

Manufacturer  Smith & Wesson  
Model  910  
Action  Semi-automatic  
Type  Double Action  
Size  Full  
Caliber  9MM  
Barrel Length  4"  
Frame/Material  Alloy  
Finish/Color  Black  
Grips/Stock  Plastic  
Capacity  15Rd  
Accessories  2 Mags  
Fired Casing  Fired Case  
Sights  Fixed Sights  

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Glock 19 or 17, whichever one fits your hand best.  Comes with two magazines ($500)

3 more magazines @ 24 = 72

fobus holster and magazine pouch = $50

2 box 50 rnds Winchester 145grn JHP = $30

The rest in 100 rnd value packs of Winchester white box @ $15 each

being well armed and well practiced, priceless

Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:08:15 AM EDT
[#24]
What you really need to do is go to a gun store that has a good selection of handguns and test out which feels best. Try at least a few H&K's, G17, G19, Sig P226, P228, XD9, Beretta M9, PX4, S&W M&P 9, and any others that catch your eye. Then which ever fit your hand best you should rent from a local range that allows you to rent handguns to try it out(If you can't find a range that lets you rent then just go for which fits your hand best).

All you'll get here is what everyone else thinks works best for them, with handguns it doesn't matter what works for them, but rather what works for you. Every single one of the guns mentioned in this thread are good, high quality, reliable handguns that will serve you well. So just see which you like best and don't give a damn about everybody else thinks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:10:14 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
probably not, I guess I'm being a little over anxious about having a "wardrobe malfunction" and showing something.

Get a good IWB holster and carry at home. Get used to it. Then go get the mail. Then make a quick trip to burger king. Then maybe a movie. Build up to it if you have to. The first time I carried it was a bit unnerving but after awhile you gain confidence in not printing or showing your gun accidently. Take a good fighting handgun class and learn how to really use a weapon rather than simply know how to operate the controls. There is a huge difference and a good class by a reputable school is the only way to really learn this. You'll learn not only to look for what guns "feel" right, but what guns will work well for you in a fight and be the simplest to operate through muscle memory under stress. To be honest I would much rather have a gun that is easy to use, reload, clear malfunctions, etc than one that "feels" good in my hand sitting in a gun store. After carrying a pistol for 6 months any pistol will "feel" natural in your hands. If you're considering this route as an option it's the best advice I can give to get you going. Im not going to bash other handgun manufacturers but for the cost of a Sig P226 you could instead buy a Glock 19 and attend a course from a school like Tactical Response or Suarez International. You'd have a good, capable pistol and the knowledge on how to use it and an excellent base of knowledge to build from.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Browning Hi Power

Browning BDM

Doublestack, but slim.  Fits right in the small of your back.  Points naturally.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:15:40 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Browning Hi Power

Browning BDM

gullyborg.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bdm.jpg

Doublestack, but slim.  Fits right in the small of your back.  Points naturally.

Currently, I carry a Glock, but if I had to carry a 9mm, this would be it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:18:06 AM EDT
[#28]
glock ...
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Trying gun rentals at your local range would be a good idea.

Shoot them all and buy your favorite. Then come back in to report on your new Glock.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#30]
+1 on hitting a shop with a range and rentals first.  Find one YOU like, cause you're going to get 1 million opinions here.

Myself, I prefer single action autos.  I'd recommend the Beretta 92 from the criteria you supplied.

Then again, I'm more of a 45ACP fan, so my honest opinion would be to go with a 45 1911, such as Springfield.  You can get a good shooter for $850.

Sounds like you're going to need good sights, so be sure to find a pistol with good, high-visibility sights, like a three dot system.

I'd try to get at least three mags also.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:24:03 AM EDT
[#31]
G17 With Night sights and a light. Reputedly very reliable.

Or a P226 SIG.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:25:15 AM EDT
[#32]
HK USP or the new P30, SIG or a Glock
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:34:48 AM EDT
[#33]
+1 Glock
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:35:03 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Springfield XD9. Ask around if anyone has one that you know. Shoot a Glock and then the XD and you will be buying the xd. Plus it comes with some nice goodies and it will run you about 500. Then take the extra money and buy some more mags and lots of 9mm. Remember the winchester value 100 packs are under $16 at walmart.

For some reason I think I am going to have to agree with him.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:35:43 AM EDT
[#35]
A Glock 17 or 19 and as much ammo as you can muster with the change.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:36:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Forget the glocks and go with a smith & wesson m&p 9 instead. The gun should run you around $520 (or less) out the door so you would have money left over to spend on spare mags, a holster and some mag carriers.

+1

The M&P series with night sites should cost you around 550 or so.  Check here for one of the best prices on the net for them.  Take the rest of the money and buy mags, holster, and ammo.  The M&P is awesome, I will have 2 before too long.

If this is truly your first gun, buy nice ear protection, a range bag and some cleaning supplies also.  When you have all that, buy ammo with whats left over.

I am not a fan of glocks, they do not point well for me.  Plus, its just ugly.  Best thing you can do it look at all the guns suggested here and make your own decision.  If you can rent a few before you buy then you should.  Its a good idea.  I wish I could have done that before I bought my first handgun, I just didn't have a place that rented near by.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:40:48 AM EDT
[#37]
GLOCK or SIG, if you want new the Glock will be just about 600.00 range for a 17, the sig will run you around 750.00. If you want used, the sig p-6 (225) 9MM nice gun I have one, and a glock 17 love them both.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
CZ-75

2nd that choice
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:44:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
www.coalcreekarmory.com/images/SW204780FC_1.jpg

S&W 910 4" 9MM BLUE 2-15RD $482.00

Manufacturer  Smith & Wesson  
Model  910  
Action  Semi-automatic  
Type  Double Action  
Size  Full  
Caliber  9MM  
Barrel Length  4"  
Frame/Material  Alloy  
Finish/Color  Black  
Grips/Stock  Plastic  
Capacity  15Rd  
Accessories  2 Mags  
Fired Casing  Fired Case  
Sights  Fixed Sights  

Way underrated pistols, IMO. (Then again, I also like the Ruger semiauto centerfires. )
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:46:41 AM EDT
[#40]
What fits your hand best?  There is your answer.  Try all, then decide.

I shoot my 228 most consistantly.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:50:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Personally I love the S&W M&P's.  With a little work on the trigger it's amazing.

But with your budget something to consider would be the Springfield XD in .357 sig.  Then you can pick up the 9mm barrel and the .40 barrel and extra mags.  I have this setup and it's a good carry gun (I carry mine in .40 with a milt sparks VMII) and will let you practice with cheaper 9mm ammo.  Just something to think about.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:50:47 AM EDT
[#42]
I am a fan of the P226.  Get one with a rail for a light.

Everyone I know with a Glock likes them so in reality it is a personal decision for you.

I had over 15K rounds through my P226 and at least 5K before I got it when I had to turn it in.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What you really need to do is go to a gun store that has a good selection of handguns and test out which feels best. Try at least a few H&K's, G17, G19, Sig P226, P228, XD9, Beretta M9, PX4, S&W M&P 9, and any others that catch your eye. Then which ever fit your hand best you should rent from a local range that allows you to rent handguns to try it out(If you can't find a range that lets you rent then just go for which fits your hand best).

All you'll get here is what everyone else thinks works best for them, with handguns it doesn't matter what works for them, but rather what works for you. Every single one of the guns mentioned in this thread are good, high quality, reliable handguns that will serve you well. So just see which you like best and don't give a damn about everybody else thinks.

Excellent advice.

I would add that you don't necessarily have to shoot a gun to decide whether it is right for you. Ask the salesman to take it out of the cabinet and let you hold it. Grip it like you would if you were on the range and see if you like the cant of the grip, where the grip ends in relation to the bottom of your hand, etc., does it feel "balanced" to you. If the gun doesn't feel good in your hand chances are you will not care for it when you start shooting.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:55:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Browning HP, all metal and shoots whatever its fed
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason I think I am going to have to agree with him.

+1 more!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Browning HP, all metal and shoots whatever its fed

+1.  A classic
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#47]
since i purchased the Walther P99 the glocks have ben clooecting dust in the safe, say 5-6 years. i like the weight or lack of 2nd strike capability w/out having to rack the slide
it's so accurate i decided against n/sights as i was concerned it would not be on the money afterwards. the S&W M&P has caught my eye perhaps the next pistol purchase. the CZ's, XD, and  compact Sigs and H&K 's are all nice as well. tough choice. rent, shoot, then you decide. hey thats a catchy slogan (you decide) maybe pitch it to some news orgs!
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:12:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Glock 19
Jim
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:14:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Lots of people have said this is the one you want or that one.  Most are a great choice.  However, for the amount you are willing to spend you can really afford almost any pistol you want.  What might be best for you may be totally different than others.  You cannot go wrong with any of the major makers for a paper puncher.  I think that Ruger, Smith, Walther, Sig, Glock, Browning, CZ, Springfield XD, HK, Taurus all make some good stuff.  What is more important is that you actually try to shoot as many of the them as you can to find the one that fits you the best.  If you cannot shoot them then at leat hold them and see what fits your hand the best.  If this will never be carried that a bigger frame will be better for the range (full size).  Also a steel frame will probably last a liter longer than an aluminum one but many of the plastic frame will outlast you.

Some people I know love the Ruger p95 and they are pretty cheap.  I think for the price a CZ75 or a FEG is a great option and will leave a lot of money for mags and ammo.  The XD9 is also a great shooter and you can pick up a nice used one on the cheap.  My buddy has a Browning HP that he has shot the crap out of.  The HP is a VERY nice shooting pistol but I would rather not carry it over my Glock.

Go rent some guns and see what you like.

Ghilly
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top