Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2007 4:30:21 AM EDT
I'm looking for a dedicated in-car nav system.  I've been using my PDA, and while I like the software (and the VGA screen) it's no longer supported by the vendor (4 years old, no map updates provided for the last two after 1 per year previously).

I'm looking at the high-end units because I want the screen size they offer and I like the Bluetooth connectivity so that they can be used as a speakerphone with my cell phone. This also makes the FM transmitter functionality useful, as getting old has reduced my hearing acuity and using the stereo speakers in the truck tp get better sound at highway speeds is very appealing. Features like MP3 players and picture viewers are basically useless, but they seem to come with the territory.  Real-time traffic data seems moderately useful in the area I live most of the time, so I would consider that a plus.

I bought my fiance a Garmin StreetPilot about a year ago, and while the unit isn't bad it's too small when mounted at the distance it would be on my truck windshield, hence my requirement for a larger screen.

Current leading candidate is the Garmin nuvi; either the 660, which can be had for $600 at Sam's Club, or their current top-of-the-line 680, which is on sale at Dell right now for $711.

Anyone with experience with the high-end units care to chime in?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#2]
What's a bavigation system?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:37:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What's a bavigation system?

It helps you find the baves.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Feel better now?
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:09:31 AM EDT
[#5]
tag. getting to be time for me to upgrade too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
For a DIN or DoubleDIN actual in dash look at the new 07/08 Kenwood units, the Garmin nav they use is great. I'm an Alpine guy, but the DVD based nav unit is very expensive(but good), Adding their Blackbird portable Nav to the headunits, has been iffy, the Blackbird has a few glitches. The new PMD-B200 Blackbird just came out, and is supposed to cure all the ills with the first gen unit, but it's too early to tell, I literally received the B200 just yesterday.

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#7]
The nuvi 770 looks like it comes standard with European maps (not an issue) and has the ability to compare routes and select the fastest automatically (nice feature) for an additional $100-$120 on street prices. Not sure it's worth the additional cost to me.

I'm not looking for an in-dash unit for this vehicle; it already has an aftermarket Alpine headunit with built-in XM and a AUX connection for my music player.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:29:51 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the Garmin Nuvi units, I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#9]
i use my verizon gzone type S.   and vznavigator     only 10 bucks a month for unlimited use

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 660 and I do like it for the most part.  It at times during startup takes 2 or 3 minutes to establish a link.  Bluetooth pairing w/ my cellphone is a very handy feature.  I got mine at Costco a few months ago - on sale for, IIRC, $500.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a 660 and I do like it for the most part.  It at times during startup takes 2 or 3 minutes to establish a link.  Bluetooth pairing w/ my cellphone is a very handy feature.  I got mine at Costco a few months ago - on sale for, IIRC, $500.

$500 for the 660 would be a great price; worth the hour drive to Costco if they still have them. Anyway to find out if they are still in stock? I'm not a member, but my suster is.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on the Nuvi 350.

It is responsive, accurate, and FAST at plotting nav.

Very lightweight and slim enough to put in the little leather wallet it comes with and slip into your pocket when you leave the car.

eta: Ok, I see others have said as much.

What I'll add is that the 350 is probably the best compromise between price and features.  The only thing that is really worth the extra money imo is the bigger screen.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:04:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Tagged to further my edjumacation.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I picked up the nuvi 660 at Sam's Club for $599.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:47:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

David, let us know how it works out.  Trying to decide between the 360 and 660 myself.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been using a Nuvi 350 for about 14 months now - LOVE it...
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

David, let us know how it works out.  Trying to decide between the 360 and 660 myself.  

Only two issues:

1. My fiance says that the Bluetooth speakerphone makes me sound like I'm in a tunnel. I can live with that.
2. Naming conventions.  I needed to enter the intersection of PA-367 and SR-1014.  It didn't like any permutation of those names.  When I pinpointed the location using the map function I found that it just listed the roads as Hwy 367 and Hwy 1014.  Hopefully I won't have issues with this in the future.

Other than that I'm happy with it and I really like the screen size.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:03:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Nuvi 350.

The 600s are too big to carry.

I just got my girl a Nuvi 350 and she loves it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Is the Nuvi 350 usefull for off road navigation?

Compass?

ETA:

If you are looking for an all in one solution, check out this.

Magellan CrossoverGPS
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:32:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have the optional traffic feature and what's it run?  FM TMC Traffic runs $60/yr

Avoid traffic tie-ups by adding a traffic receiver and traffic services to your compatible Garmin device. Your GPS navigator uses traffic information to minimize traffic delays on your route. Depending on where you live and the GPS navigator you own, traffic information can be available in three formats:

MSN® Direct
Receive traffic reports and other dynamic content via an FM signal from MSN Direct in the United States.

» learn more

» activate or renew service

FM TMC Traffic
Receive Traffic Message Channel (TMC) data via FM radio broadcasts in the United States and Europe.

» learn more

» add or renew subscription

XM NavTraffic®
Receive XM NavTraffic™ information along with weather and radio via satellite broadcasts in the United States and Canada.

» learn more
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Just wondering, what advantages (other than slimmer case) do the Nuvi models have over the streetpilot?  The streetpilots look to be less expensive and seem to have a larger speaker for a little better sound.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:02:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Nuvi 660
Bigger screen than the 350 (1" bigger on the diagonal), bluetooth and built-in FM transmitter. Mine was $400 at Costco on sale.

The Nuvis have the 3rd generation chipset (very fast acquisition times on the satelites), and are also about 3/4" thick, thin enough to throw in your pocket when you walk around your destination if you had to park a good distance away.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
What's a bavigation system? helps

BAVIGATION SYSTEM=
By
All
Ventures,
I
Guarantee
American soldiers
Take
Insurgents
Out
Nightly

So
You [can]
Sleep.
Thank
Every
Militarysoldier.

Sorry, was bored.hinking.gif
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top