Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2007 10:55:15 AM EDT
Last Friday I get a letter acknowledging the cancelation of the Chase CC. Saturday I get another one signed by another individual stating that, after review of the situation they were going to credit my (now cancelled account) with 32.00. I kid you not.
Farking bastiges.

I have gotten 3 or 4 applications for credit cards from them. Each gets my name torn off and returned in their postage paid envelope. I'm researching the possibility of wrapping a brick and attaching the postage paid envelope to it. If they are on the hook for the postage..............

I've had this card for nine years. Rarely use it. Current version hasn't been activated. A few months ago I get a statement with 29 bucks on it.

Call them and find I'm now in their "Rewards Program."

"Don't want it, take it off." No problem. Only she leaves the 29 bucks on my account and the next month it's 29+15(late fee)+1(finance charge).

So, I call Natalie and she says, "Yes, I see where she changed you back but didn't take the charge off. I don't know why she didn't, but I will."

THIS MONTH I get a statement for 32.00. 29 is gone but now I'm looking at 15+1+15+1. Two months worth of late/finance charges. I call again and the fiver who answers passes me up the line.

This guy's tale is that Natalie shouldn't have taken the 29 off and the charges are there period. I replied, "To translate, the account isn't bringing anything in, let's close it and squeeze some dough out of this guy."

I told him to cancel the account and I'd send them the 32.00.

I'm thinking 3200 pennies sent registered, receipt requested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Freeloader.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I've had this card for nine years. Rarely use it. Current version hasn't been activated. A few months ago I get a statement with 29 bucks on it.

Call them and find I'm now in their "Rewards Program."

"Don't want it, take it off." No problem. Only she leaves the 29 bucks on my account and the next month it's 29+15(late fee)+1(finance charge).

So, I call Natalie and she says, "Yes, I see where she changed you back but didn't take the charge off. I don't know why she didn't, but I will."

THIS MONTH I get a statement for 32.00. 29 is gone but now I'm looking at 15+1+15+1. Two months worth of late/finance charges. I call again and the fiver who answers passes me up the line.

This guy's tale is that Natalie shouldn't have taken the 29 off and the charges are there period. I replied, "To translate, the account isn't bringing anything in, let's close it and squeeze some dough out of this guy."

I told him to cancel the account and I'd send them the 32.00.

I'm thinking 3200 pennies sent registered, receipt requested.

Hell, I don't think I could've kept my cool on that one.

Damn straight you should send them 3200 pennies.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 12:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Chase sucks!
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i68.photobucket.com/albums/i6/Boomer8450/verizoncheck-mum-the-weiser.jpg

Math on that one is way above my pay grade. How much is that?

How did your bank handle that one?

Not mine - IIRC, verizon was screwing with the guy of $.002 - yes, thats 2/10 of a cent. After getting annoyed from trying to deal with them, he sent that in. I can't say I've done the math myself (or could for that matter), but it supposedly works out to $.002
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a chase mastercard and it's worked well for me.  I'm in the rewards program and I never paid a penny for that.

It sounds like you are being charged the annual fee for not using your card for a year.  Doesn't matter if you activate the card, the account was still open.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 5:25:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Chase sucks!

Low and behold I got home tonight and my received my wife's new gas card bill that is actually ran through chase by the english anti gun company B.P.

They said I did not pay my bill last month of $120, charged me late fees and 24.24% interest. I also received my bank statement today showing a payment to chase for the $120.

They had posted my payment to different card that I rarely use and have no balance on. I called them and they said they would straighten it out.

I used to have a checking account there but they put my pay check into someone elses account once and that was the end of that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a Chase card for 17 years. It was the first card I ever had. I won't say I paid it on time every time because I didn't. I was a day late a few times. About 3 years ago, after 10 or so years of paying on time, they bumped me from 7% to 25% without notification. They offered to send me another notification. I accepted. I never received that one either. I started paying the balance off each month; they were making no money on me. Fast forward to a few months ago. I was going out of town, so I went online and scheduled my payment, obviously not paying attention. I get my next statement and there was a late fee. They had moved my due date back a week without notification. I called them and they offered to send me another notification but the late fee was staying. I told them that made 3 account change notifications I'd not received and I was done with them. I cancelled, paid the bill and haven't looked back.

Fuck em.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 3:52:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Make sure you check your credit rating too; they will have reported you as "late" and dropped you a few points.

Credit cards are evil.  

They are going to send me a letter saying they fucked up also.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 4:57:10 AM EDT
[#10]
They did that to me, too.  I am not paying it, but rather disputing it with the credit reporting agencies.  I told them if they want their money ($84.00, in my case), they are going to have to pack a lunch.  Screw 'em.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
They did that to me, too.  I am not paying it, but rather disputing it with the credit reporting agencies.  I told them if they want their money ($84.00, in my case), they are going to have to pack a lunch.  Screw 'em.

What's the procedure for this? If I can deny Chase the $ and not affect my credit I'll do so. I guard my credit rating jealously. When it comes time to make an electronic transfer from my bank account I send Visa what's on the statement and what I have charged from the statement to date. Citibank loves me. I go online to Equifax, etc around twice a year to check on things, but I've never had to dispute anything.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the procedure for this? If I can deny Chase the $ and not affect my credit I'll do so. I guard my credit rating jealously. When it comes time to make an electronic transfer from my bank account I send Visa what's on the statement and what I have charged from the statement to date. Citibank loves me. I go online to Equifax, etc around twice a year to check on things, but I've never had to dispute anything.

First thing they will do is start calling you asking for their money.  Insist that ou do not owe them any money and to stop calling you.  According to the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, if you tell them in writing to stop calling you in regards to a debt, they must do so (except that they may call you one more time to tell you they will not call you any more).  Then they will (probably) sell the debt to a collection agency.  The CA will call you/send you a letter 'giving you a chance' to pay.  Write back and say that you dispute this debt, as you feel it is not valid; you may also want to throw in a notice that they cannot contact you by phone regarding this debt, just to be safe.  They either have to research it and provide proof, or drop it.  If they feel it is valid, or if they just want to be jerks, they might then finally report the debt as a derogatory item on your credit report.  Now is when you dispute it with the Reporting Bureau.  The reporting company has to provide written proof of the debt's validity.  This needs to be something more substantial than a statement from Chase.  Tell them the whole story.  They will need some sort of actual proof that you intentionally signed up for that program and did not pay.  Either way, the item will be removed from your report pending an investigation.  The chances are very good (especially considering the dollar amount) that the businesses involved will not do all the footwork required to make this stick.  If they somehow do (it is more work for them to do all this than it is for you), then and only then would I consider whether or not to pay it.  Personally, I won't pay anything I do not owe, regardless of it's effect on my credit, but I am stubborn like that.  Most people are much smarter than me in that regard.  Anyway, if you are going to pay it anyway (pennies is a good idea- try to find really old, sticky ones), you may as well return the headache, and you may not have to pay it if you follow those steps.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 12:10:34 PM EDT
[#13]
only cool people double post  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#14]
bumped
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top