Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2007 10:58:46 AM EDT
So after putting out corn and a game camera, I get home feeling unusually tired/cranky and layed down for a nap.  Woke up just before dinner with a headache, ate and went back to bed.  Couldn't sleep at all and tried to head off to work at 430 on Tues and had the WORST headache I have ever had in my entire life (no joke here, my wife said later on at the ER I tried to convince the Doc to "cut the damned thing off")  I lasted 20 min on the job and headed home.  

After my initial appt with our family dr,  they sent me to the ER where Im immediately given a cocktail of painkillers/antibiotics and paperwork authorizing them to do a spinal tap (WTF??), and off to the CAT scan thingy I go.  Nope it's "not a tuma" it's virul menengitus.  Fast forward to today, The Docs have given my wife specific insrtuctions for me not to leave my bed at all, and lay flat on my back the whole time.  Something about the spinal tap thing needing time to heal.  Anyway here I lay, on my 3rd script for percocet/oxycodone; miserable.  Has anyone here ever had this? Is it all going to be over soon?  This sucks.  What a way to kick off this deer season.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Some kid(18) around here just died no too long ago from that. Scary stuff

His family said he started showing flu like symptoms. Had him take a nap. When they checked on him a couple hours later he was unresponsive. He passed away in the hospital.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#2]
dibbs on your guns
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:06:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Is it all going to be over soon?  

Yes, it will probably all be over soon. Godspeed.

Hope you feel better quick.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Now thats jsut not nice.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]
pics needed on wife and firstborn before I claim...............
You'll be better in no time
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Now thats jsut not nice.

You'll probably be back to your normal self next week. Until then just enjoy the pain killers, room service and movies.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Thing is, I was gonna try to tough it out and stay at work.  Thank God my wife cares more about my health than I do.  Does anybody know how long it takes for this to clear up? My Doc said " It'll be over when you can function without the severe headach"  well no shit shirlock...
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Viral meningitis doesn't generally kill you... just makes you wish you were dead while you have it.  Many of them are echovirus, coxsackie virus, and the herpes virus family.  A few of them are west nile, but those are very rare.

You'll suffer in the meantime, but eventually you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Be prepared for the possibility of having a rough go of it when you stop taking the pain killers. That may also lead to a few days of
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Be prepared for the possibility of having a rough go of it when you stop taking the pain killers. That may also lead to a few days of
 I already tried to skip two of the schedualed doses of the pain pills and it was like day one all over.  I hate drugs. I hate being sick. blahhh
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Viral meningitis doesn't generally kill you... just makes you wish you were dead while you have it.  Many of them are echovirus, coxsackie virus, and the herpes virus family.  A few of them are west nile, but those are very rare.

You'll suffer in the meantime, but eventually you'll be fine.

The old lady said they were testing me for west nile.  How long des it usually take for the LP to heal up?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#12]
My sister had it several years ago, almost killed her.  It comes on very sudden.

She hasn't ever been the same.  Symptoms are like demonic possession.  Very stessful for the rest of us.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
What part of SC are you in?  Any idea how you picked it up?

Hope you get to feeling better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:21:06 AM EDT
[#14]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Be prepared for the possibility of having a rough go of it when you stop taking the pain killers. That may also lead to a few days of he

Well, I'm talking more about withdrawal from the pain pills than the return of the headaches. If you don't sleep for 48 hours; feel like you have ants crawling around your legs under the skin; cry at the drop of the hat; or start seeing things that aren't there your body may be wondering what happened to it's happy pill.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:26:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Better that than bacterial meningitis.

Hope you feel better.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
My sister had it several years ago, almost killed her.  It comes on very sudden.

She hasn't ever been the same.  Symptoms are like demonic possession.  Very stessful for the rest of us.

Best of luck to you.

You sir, are scaring the shit out of me.  Are you serious?
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:29:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What part of SC are you in?  Any idea how you picked it up?

Hope you get to feeling better.

Charleston/Younges Island area.  The Docs said it could be anything, mosquitos....couldnt really tell you how I got it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of luck to you.

You sir, are scaring the shit out of me.  Are you serious?

Didn't mean to cause you any distress, but yes.  Doesn't mean that it is going to happen to you.

ETA>  Oh hell... maybe it was bacterial meningitis.  I'll ask..
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#19]
My thanks to all the well wishers.  The percs are wearing off now and i can't have anymore for 2 hrs. ...I'm gonna try to sleep
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I had it in 1990 and thought I was going to die. They gave me demerol in the ER and for the next few days. I spent 2 days in the hospital with an IV in me. A couple of weeks later I felt fine except I was somewhat weak. That's some rough shit. Thank God that it isn't bacterial.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Had it in 1994. I was hpspitalized with an IV (demerol) and a pain button; the doc simply said; if you are in pain, push the button. DOn't remember much of the four days after that, but by day 6 I was bored silly with a consistent headache. They sent me home then with pills and I was back at work 2 weeks from when the whole thing started.

Worst part was the amature hour spinal tap. After 3 diffferent residents couldn't do it right an attending finally showed up to get the fluid.  Fortunately, the pain in my head distracted me from the pain in my back, but I had an awful lot of stick marks on my lower spine area for quite a while.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Bacterial is the really deadly one.
Even if you use antibiotics (and choices can be limited since not all can cross the blood brain barrier) swelling is common when the immune system kicks in.
One protocol for bacterial is culture t ID an exact antibiotic, then use cortisone to supress the immune systemand let the antobiotic do the work,

Not a lot of treatment for viral except symptomatic, pain relievers and observation.
Typcial recovery is 7 to 10 days.
Rarely serious unless you have other issues (compromised immune system).
You will not get high or have any withdrawal from narcotics if you take the correct dose.
Opiods are actualy consumed in the brain.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#23]
haven't had the menengitus but I have had a spinal tap.  Listen to what they said, DO NOT GET UP.

I did, and ended up getting a spinal headache!  Feels like there isn't enough fluid in your brain bucket and your brain is sloshing from side to side. SUUUCCCKKSSSS........
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Better that than bacterial meningitis.

Hope you feel better.

Maybe thats the one Im thinking of.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top