Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 9:46:50 AM EDT
I if you remember this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=605968

I bought a bastard sword.  A real one. Meant for fighting and hitting things.  It is beautiful!

I brought it to work today.  Everyone knows I have guns. LOTS of guns. So people actually in my office not only were not surprised, most just laughed, wanted to hold it, and complemented it.

Walking through the parking lot was a whole different experience.  I'm dressed in work attire, carrying a sword, smiling, fully sheathed, and holding it down in a purely carrying, non-threatening manor.  People looked at me like I had an M-60 in my hand with full belt and a swastika on my forehead.  I even held the door for some guy carrying a bunch of stuff. He shot me a look like he though I was going to kill him too.

And people call us paranoid.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#1]
They're scared of your long weapon John!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#2]
::writes this in my "things to do one day when I'm bored" book::

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yes Billy, they sure are.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Even my own brother, who is also a serious gun and knife person says "Don't stab me!" whenever I have a knife out in his presence.

I informed him that saying "don't stab me" makes me want to stab him. He tries not to say that anymore.

Quoted:

Do you have something against puppies?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:53:45 AM EDT
[#5]
the chair is against the wall

mjohn has a long sword

I thought this thread was gonna be about more Massachusetts sheep fornicating
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Ya gotta admit however, the ones that noticed, WERE paying attention to thier surroundings.

What kills me is the head in butt types who "Don't notice" things like "Joe Buisness suit carrying a bastard sword" type incidents.

S-28
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Why the bastard sword?  Didn't we tell you to get the katana?
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A person that really cares about zombie survival would have gotten both.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]
The average person today is afraid of weapons.

Period.

Their existence is a reminder that the world isn't as nice a place as they would like to think that it is...

and a lot of people HATE that.

Just one man's opinion.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

1. Because I like the medieval stuff and the bastard just looks awesome.
2. The pommel can be used to bludgeon with.
3. The video posted in the "which sword for zombies" thread shows the bastard doing everything the katana could.
4. I'm reading Paradise Lost, my name is Michael, and the line "They dreaded worse than Hell: so much the fear of thunder and the sword of Michael." Is fricking awesome, and I want it engraved on the cross piece of a sword...and a katana does not have a cross piece.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Period.

Their existence is a reminder that the world isn't as nice a place as they would like to think that it is...

Just one man's opinion.

and the average person's view of what a weapon is has been skewed by the MSM.

That car or truck that Mjohn was walking out to get in could cause much more damage, death and mayhem than the frickin sword but nobody looks all googly-eyed at you when you power up the ol Camry now do they.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:14:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Period.

Just one man's opinion.

+1 sums it up pretty good. Most people in the old world were phesants at the mercy of the king or rulers, only a few actually had wepons by permission.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Yea, people react weirdly to the unusual.  You should have seen the looks I got when I wnt to target right after Tae Kwon Do, in full uniform with belt.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#14]
WHEN THE INTERNET AND THE REST OF THE WORLD COLLIDE!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, I fenced a little in high school and college.

I would look askance at someone who walked into an office building with a sword.

Not because I was scared, but because I'd think that person was some sort of LARPer or D&D Dungeon master attending a game.

To sum up, not weird in the context of ARFCOM, weird in the context of the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:32:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Yea, people react weirdly to the unusual.  You should have seen the looks I got when I wnt to target right after Tae Kwon Do, in full uniform with belt.

they were laughing at you

guess y'all don't have any dojo rules about when and where belts are to be worn
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I bought a bastard sword.  A real one. Meant for fighting and hitting things.  It is beautiful!

I'm dressed in work attire, carrying a sword, smiling, fully sheathed, and holding it down in a purely carrying, non-threatening manor.  People looked at me like I had an M-60 in my hand with full belt and a swastika on my forehead.  I even held the door for some guy carrying a bunch of stuff. He shot me a look like he though I was going to kill him too.

And people call us paranoid.

Based on your comments, I think you would have gotten less of a reaction if you had worn your around-the-house sword playing clothes:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top