Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 8/8/2007 7:42:10 AM EDT
Okay. Your ammo is gone, you reach for your sword.

Which would you rather grab and why?
I am talking real sword here. Not a cheap replica wall hanger. You are reaching for a sword you have bought specifically for fighting in the event of zombies. That is built to be used.

Hand and a half Bastard sword.

Weight: 49 oz.
Blade Thickness: 1/5"
Blade Length: 33 1/2"
Handle: 9 1/8" long. Leather Wrapped
Overall Length: 42 5/8"

Thick, strong, You can lop off heads, you can skewer heads, heck you can hack a body in two. Has a handle you can use to bludgeon with.

Katana sword.

Weight: 46.5 oz.
Blade Thick: 5/16"
Blade Length: 29 5/8"
Handle: 11 1/4" Samé (Ray Skin). black braid cord with brass Menuki
Overall Length: 40 7/8"

Thinner, lighter, quicker. Not as brute force as the Bastard sword, but may be better suited to slicing off heads.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
none of the above. gladius+scutum (big rectangle shield)-conquered the known world, good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If you can get close enough to a zombie to use a sword, you are already dead. Buy more ammo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
22-24" Machete

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:50:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Nerf
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:52:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Lopping off heads would be very hard without a hell of a lot of practice.  A bow and a big club would be much better, bash the fuckers brains in, or try to shoot them in head with a bow, at least until they get really close.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Light Saber!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
katana.

That trash will slice and dice a zombie.  Also you can skewer the zombie and make sushi.

Max
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:54:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I voted other, because I was thinking keep it simple. A Machete

It worked for the biker dude in Dawn of the Dead
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:54:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Have to agree decapitation is going to be extremely hard.

But if you want to atempt it, I'd say a good machette would be best.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I would go for something with a good Oakeshott type X blade and a round shield. The shield would give me a bit of a barrier to fight behind while I lined up good cuts. A proper European sword will be lighter and more durable than a Japanese blade but you have to hit right since the best cuts are made at the COP.

If I had to pick a brand for zombie work I would go with Angus Trim.

http://angustrimswords.net/emshs.html

“Albion” makes some wonderful stuff as does “Arms and Armor” If I wanted a fully functional replica I would probably buy from them. But Angus Trim has a reputation for making great cutting blades. For serious zombie work that’s probably the way to go.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Light Saber!

+1 we are talking about zombies, so why not go all the way.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I always wanted a katana. where can I get a good functional one (can cut stuff) that doesn't cost 500$??
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Katana.

In japan they would test a sword after making it by cutting off a corpse's head.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:09:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Lopping off heads would be very hard without a hell of a lot of practice.  A bow and a big club would be much better, bash the fuckers brains in, or try to shoot them in head with a bow, at least until they get really close.

You've never used a bastard/longsword before, have you.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I would go for something with a good Oakeshott type X blade and a round shield. The shield would give me a bit of a barrier to fight behind while I lined up good cuts. A proper European sword will be lighter and more durable than a Japanese blade but you have to hit right since the best cuts are made at the COP.

If I had to pick a brand for zombie work I would go with Angus Trim.

http://angustrimswords.net/emshs.html

“Albion” makes some wonderful stuff as does “Arms and Armor” If I wanted a fully functional replica I would probably buy from them. But Angus Trim has a reputation for making great cutting blades. For serious zombie work that’s probably the way to go.

I highly approve of your post.

I too would use a similar sword.  Lopping off heads would be easy, and a longsword is very durable so long as you don't try to use it to chop down trees like an axe.

I would personally lean towards the Oakeshott Type: XVIIIe.
http://angustrimswords.net/longswords.html

I like the longer reach and the ability to switch from one to two handed use at will.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:11:28 AM EDT
[#16]
i would go with a katana
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:15:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll take that bastard sword.

I'm building a rough facsimile of an Oakeshott XVa/16a right now.
Probably not the best for zombies though,as it's more of a thrusting sword.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Busse AK-47 (American kensei)

If I can chop down trees with it, no not in one slice , I can chop through zombiez

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#19]
you would get tired faster with the bastard.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:16:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Katana, hands down. Lightweight but durable, well-balanced, and it is made to perform either a slashing attack or a thrust equally well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but I take it you have lots of experience decapitating zombies?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#22]
got a link to those Busse's
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
none of the above. gladius+scutum (big rectangle shield)-conquered the known world, good enough for me.

+1. Those same Roman tactics are used to this day to deal with melee combat:

Roman legions and modern riot cops use almost the same tactics and shields, the only real difference is the gladius has been replaced by the baton.

Nowadays I'd use a clear riot shield instead of a wooden scutum, but the gladius is still every bit as effective today as it was two thousand years ago.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#24]
I would dual wield daggers. Big daggers.. With poison on them.. Just to be sure!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:44:53 AM EDT
[#25]
No such thing as zombies.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#26]
The gladius was designed for stabbing into the torso to kill your live opponent. No good for zombies which have to have their heads lopped off to make them stay dead.

*I have decapitated all of your page 2!*
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#27]

This SWORD

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You need a new shtick.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#29]
height=8
Quoted:

Been to Washington lately?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:51:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Where's the pic of the fat kid with the swords attached to his forearms?

I KNOW someone has it.......
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

blunt longword cut

blunt bastard sword through bamboo

more blunt cutting

If a longsword/bastard sword will do that blunt, it can do a lot better once sharpened.

www.thearma.org/spotlight/TestCutting/TestCuttingEvent2.htm

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Flanged mace. I'd want a sword (either bastard or katana, get both!) against living opponents, but when you HAVE TO DESTROY THE BRAIN get a mace.

When zombies come, you won't have physical room to execute the sword stroke needed to decapitate a zombie or penetrate the skull with a sword and do enough damage. Both swords are two-handed weapons, and you need that free hand to defend yourself.

With a mace, you just throw wrapshots over your shield or fence or corner or garbage-can lid, and just aim for the head. Anything that hits will shatter the skull and disrupt the braincase. Anything else is wasted effort. Plus a mace is short and handy, and you can use it in a hallway or stairwell or closet. No sharp edges to accidentally cut yourself on, so less risk of infections or self-evisceration because you trip on a grasping green hand. Never underestimate the potential for panic, or even simply having the blade pushed into  you by an onrushing zombie. He won't care - believe me, you will care. A typical mace is almost 100% idiot-proof.

If you want more reach, get a pollaxe. Better to get a rifle, but your scenario specifies archaic hand weapons.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Swiss army knife
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:03:02 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

blunt longword cut

more blunt cutting

If a longsword/bastard sword will do that blunt, it can do a lot better once sharpened.

You made me want the bastard a little more now.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/914/80015864.JPG

Flanged mace. I'd want a sword (either bastard or katana, get both!) against living opponents, but when you HAVE TO DESTROY THE BRAIN get a mace.

When zombies come, you won't have physical room to execute the sword stroke needed to decapitate a zombie or penetrate the skull with a sword and do enough damage. Both swords are two-handed weapons, and you need that free hand to defend yourself.

With a mace, you just throw wrapshots over your shield or fence or corner or garbage-can lid, and just aim for the head. Anything that hits will shatter the skull and disrupt the braincase. Anything else is wasted effort. Plus a mace is short and handy, and you can use it in a hallway or stairwell or closet.  

If you want more reach, get a pollaxe. Better to get a rifle, but your scenario specifies archaic hand weapons.

www.eredsul.org/earl_mike/FlameWar/fp2b.gif

Hmmm...mace doesn't seem like such a bad idea against zombies.  Good suggestion.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:04:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/914/80015864.JPG

With a mace, you just throw wrapshots over your shield or fence or corner or garbage-can lid, and just aim for the head. Anything that hits will shatter the skull and disrupt the braincase. Anything else is wasted effort. Plus a mace is short and handy, and you can use it in a hallway or stairwell or closet.  

www.eredsul.org/earl_mike/FlameWar/fp2b.gif

Nothing like sending virus filled blood splattering in every direction.

Not that a sword does not do that too. But not as much as the mace.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Zombie brains don't spatter much, and zombie blood is usually congealed anyway. If your immune system wasn't tiptop, you aren't long for the world of the Pockyclypse anyhow.

Get a mace, and if you are that worried, get a splashmask.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:09:20 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Busse AK-47 (American kensei)

If I can chop down trees with it, no not in one slice , I can chop through zombiez

talks.guns.ru/forums/icons/forum_pictures/000622/thm/622777.jpg

i91.photobucket.com/albums/k286/gatorzingo/AK64.jpg

$587.00 for the base model !!!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Leatherman.  Wave model.  Does everything.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Harder to thrust than to swing when you are skeered. A thrust, though superior against a living opponent, requires technique, while a swing requires only adrenaline - we've been hurting each other that way since Primate Days, and it comes naturally.

Plus what if your rapier gets stuck, even if only for a moment?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

blunt longword cut

more blunt cutting

You made me want the bastard a little more now.

Yeah, you bastard. I just ordered the bastard sword.

I'll post pics when I get it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:20:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I would have to go with a battle axe one good whack to the head and thats it
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Heretic!   Burn him!

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:28:04 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

The committee has determined that a battleaxe or properly designed tomahawk is an acceptable substitute for a flanged mace, trading the ability to attack in any direction (mace) for superior penetration (axe).

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:38:47 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The committee has determined that a battleaxe or properly designed tomahawk is an acceptable substitute for a flanged mace, trading the ability to attack in any direction (mace) for superior penetration (axe).

Will the committee aprove a war hammer also?

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will the committee aprove a war hammer also?

That depends. There are a number of weapons called "warhammers", and some are better than others for zombies. The committee recommends shorter, blunter weapons as being superior for the specific task of engaging the undead in the most common circumstances encountered by a typical American survivor. We suggest avoiding the following:

- Weapons requiring extensive training to use effectively
- Weapons which are unwieldy in confined quarters
- Weapons which require "windup" time, making for slow followup shots
- Weapons which are designed for piercing armor, or inflicting wounds with would be mortal for a living human, but have little to no effect on zombies.

Any wound other than destruction of the brain is wasted effort, so keep this in mind when selecting your CQB zombie melee option. We recognize that firearms are nearly always a superior choice, but melee weapons have their applications, specifically the relative silence and lack of ammunition.

=
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#49]
I'll go with a Katana and a wakizashi. Both can also be used to fight off vampires and ninjas should the need arise.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#50]
A crowbar. And maybe a gravity gun.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top