Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 5:18:33 PM EDT
Anyone watching National Geographic HD?

They're doing this show on this Dubai development project.

Amazing.

www.theworld.ae/

from the people that brought you:

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:19:36 PM EDT
[#1]
The UAE is on my list of places to visit.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw they are building those islands.

Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Its on my places to visit too, even if it is just to take a really fast car to their perfect roads. I have to say though that is the shittiest representation of North America ever.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:22:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Its on my places to visit too, even if it is just to take a really fast car to their perfect roads. I have to say though that is the shittiest representation of North America ever.

I dont think they are done building "The World" yet.
IIRC, the island building process is assisted by GPS satellites and it takes time to get each island right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

It's not even close to done.  I'm gonna wait for the finished project before I pass judgment.  I'm guessing Florida is going to be added later?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:24:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Correction, I guess the peninsula of Florida isn't getting added but it's still not finished.

I'm guessing the OP was watching the same show on the National Geographic channel that I currently am..
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#8]
One serious storm, and it will all be gone.  Sand + Hurricane Tidal Surge = Gone.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
One serious storm, and it will all be gone.  Sand + Hurricane Tidal Surge = Gone.

Yep. The money you're spending on gas is getting poured into the ocean and the first major storm is going to wipe the slate.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
What does the second set of islands pictured in the original post represent?  Anything?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep. The money you're spending on gas is getting poured into the ocean and the first major storm is going to wipe the slate.

Idk, it is going to be covered in buildings and foliage.  The breakwater on the palm shaped on is massive.  They used a new design on the continents one so that the breakwater could be made low enough that you can still see out to sea.  Hard to say how well thats going to work.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What does the second set of islands pictured in the original post represent?  Anything?

It's just a palm tree.  The circle around the outside serves as a breakwater as well as additional island space.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:40:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Those fuckers love to waste some money over there. Be cool to see some of that stuff but I doubt I'll ever want to go there to see it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
See, all the money you pay for gas IS being put to good use
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Those fuckers love to waste some money over there. Be cool to see some of that stuff but I doubt I'll ever want to go there to see it.

The 'continents' islands are going to be sold for an average of $6.85 million each to private developers.  They are going to make some nice money on those.

link with lots of pics
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:45:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I would like to have a summer home on one of those... if it wasnt in the middle of a country with a oppresive regime... I wouldn't mind visiting though, I really want to visist everywhere, better to know your enemy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 'continents' islands are going to be sold for an average of $6.85 million each to private developers.  They are going to make some nice money on those.

link with lots of pics

Yeah I have been following the progress of "the world" for a couple of years now. It is amazing to see the pictures from 1997 and then current and I can only imagine going forward of what that strip lwill look like.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:12:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would like to have a summer home on one of those... if it wasnt in the middle of a country with a oppresive regime... I wouldn't mind visiting though, I really want to visist everywhere, better to know your enemy.

UAE is oppressive/our enemy?
Some one should inform them of that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

UAE is oppressive/our enemy?
Some one should inform them of that.

They have armed guards everywhere , the terrorist  threat is real there. Not a place I choose to take  the wife and kids.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Canadian Airforce gets "deployed" there all the time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Been there. No big whoop.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#23]
See what your gas money buys?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I really want to go there
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I wonder when the last time the Persian Gulf was hit by a typhoon?

Google has some interesting answers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top