Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2001 12:34:37 PM EDT
I read one of the articles on the newsfeed (main page) of AR15.com (you DO look at these, don't you?) and was prompted to e-mail the reporter.  Surprisingly she responded.  Here's the URL for the article "Gun-toting Hunter Causes Stir" [url]http://www.bangornews.com/editorialnews/article.html?ID=42785[/url]

Here's the e-mail I sent her:
Ms. Mack:

I read with interest your October 5 report of the incident at Maine Central Institute involving  a young man carrying a shotgun.  I was especially interested to read that "Many students were terrified and began crying" when they saw a man with a gun.  Well, after decades of media demonization of firearms and firearms owners I have to say I'm not particularly surprised.

Now it's not only politically incorrect to hunt, it's apparently assault on the delicate sensibilities of the average college student.

These are the descendents of the generation that fought and won W.W.II?

What happened to us?  Where did our spines go?  I know not all of us have wimped out, Flight 94 proved that, but if the next generation coming up cannot handle the sight of an armed man then our opponents have already won the war.

I know that you just wrote the story, you aren't responsible for its subject, but I felt the need to vent and your address was listed for response.  Thank you for your attention.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is her response, and my return:
Dear Mr. Baker,
Thank you for your interest. A few clarifications: MCI is a high school, not
a college. The students involved - some as young as 14 - had been quietly
working at thier desks when the teacher began shouting directions to "Get on
the floor! Get on the floor!'' The person that was spotted outside the
window was NOT a hunter - he was dressed in camie clothes with a flak jacket
and a handgun. Believe me, the kids in central Maine are extremely familiar
with hunters and hunting. In Maine it is the law for hunters to wear two
articles of orange clothing, including a cap. It was clear to the students
that the intruder on their campus was NOT a hunter. Most families in central
Maine and many of the students who were frightened by this incident still
enjoying hunting in all seasons - bird, deer and moose. As a parent of
several teens, I think their reaction was both appropriate and expected. I
might have reacted the same had I seen such a gunman outside my office.....
Thanks,
Sharon K. Mack
View Quote
To which I responded:
Ms. Mack:

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I do appreciate it.  However, I have a question that your reply has prompted.  I apologize for not knowing that MCI was a high school.  It was not explained in the report, and not being a resident I suppose I could be forgiven for making the assumption that "Maine Central Institute" was an institution of higher learning.

According to the article the school was notified "that a young man was headed in their direction up South Main Street with a shotgun".  The title of the article was "Gun-toting hunter..."  From this I had to assume that the young man WAS a hunter.  No mention of  blaze-orange clothing - or any requirement of it - was made in the article.  What was it about this young man that prompted the Pittsfield police department to contact the school?  That, to me, seems to be the real story.  Otherwise it appears that hysteria over a "man with a gun" was what you were writing about - and that was what I reacted to.

Finally, if you think the appropriate reaction to seeing an armed man is crying in terror, then you've made my point.  

Again, thank you for your attention.
View Quote
It will be interesting if she has anything further to say...

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I smell some brown fecal matter burning in a paper bag, and it's called "spin". Call her editor to clarify. Media scare.....
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#3]
five bucks says she wont reply back again.  It's quite apparent what her position on hunting and owning guns is, as can be seen in the article she wrote.  If she does reply back, please let us know, im curious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top