Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2001 6:43:31 PM EDT
I just got a ruger 77mkII target in .308. I bought it because I liked the features, the price was right, and I heard so many mixed comments I just had to see for myself. I shot it at 100yds to break in the barrel. The only ammo I had was 165 grn softpoints (walmart winchester stuff; can't remember what type though). I wasn't expecting much, but I was very pleased when my 3 shot groups were all 1/2 moa or better! 5 shot groups opened up to about 3/4 moa, but I am probably to blame for my lazy setup (I was just laying prone using a ruck for a rest). I later tryed some 180 hunting ammo and it kept everything under 1moa. So far, I am very pleased with my new rifle!

If anyone has had any first hand experience with this rifle, I would love to hear it!

ARben
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#1]
did you shoot at the nemaji range on hwy z?  i was going to go today but i'm trying to conserve on my ammo a bit.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I shot at the range in my back yard. [:)]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people complain about the quality of Ruger barrels.I have several #1's that do nothing but shoot.That is after a little forearm work.Sounds like you have a good one.I'm a lefty and Ruger doesnt make any cal. in a bolt gun I don't already have or iinterested in.If i'm going to convert one I'll start with a 70 because of the longer action.I would buy a Ruger magnum action in a heartbeat if they made it lefty.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I keep looking for an excuse to get a #1. They are just so pretty and graceful. I cant think of a reason to have a single shot rifle or in what caliber do I not need it in. Maybe varminting, buuuuut we dont get much of the varmints that you can shoot at here in SOCAL
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:50:36 AM EDT
[#5]
You do have varmits that need controlled.There called elelcted represenatives .To bad its illegal to shoot them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:09:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I think a lot of the original complaints about their barrels were based on rifles that used the ones ruger bought. A couple years ago, ruger started making their own barrels and I guess the quality improved vastly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Bought a Ruger M77VT in early 90s, 308cal.
Installed a Leupold Vari-X III 4.5x14 and intended for it to be my Long Range "sniper" weapon. Had barrel electro-polished and Cryo'd at BlackStar here in Houston. Mine loved and was only shot w/ Fed GM 308 match ammo. Gun would hold moa for 5 rounds out to 700 yards which is probably better than an un-cryo'd/polished (500 yards is about max for stock gun). That was about the limit of the both the bullet and the twist rate of barrel.
Hope this helps.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#8]

I bought a used ruger 22-250 some time ago.  It was in good condition, but buying a used 22-250 is always a gamble due to throat erosion and what not.  I couldn't pass on it at that price though.  I love the thing.  Trigger could use some tweaking but seems to group quite nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top