Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 11:18:07 PM EDT
[img]www.arizonarepublic.com/news/gifs/breaking/1008Attacks-Pakistan-Protest-ON.jpg[/img]

[img]www.arizonarepublic.com/news/gifs/breaking/1008pakistanfire2.jpg[/img]

Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't help noticing:

buildings and people in the background don't match in the two photos.

colors of the flag vs. colors of everything else in same picture.

fire, but no smoke

that's a lot of fire in the top photo for such a small fuel load.

fire reaching around guys head. Why would it do that?

Hopefully I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:28:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy probably moved in front of the camera when he was lit up, changing the vantage point and the buildings in the background.  The fuel is the cheeply made flag.  Probably made from the same stuff as baby outfits.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:28:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I think your wrong.  It looks like two slightly differnt picture angles were taken.  Notice that the lighter of the flag isn't actually the same guy holding the flag in the first picture.   As far as smoke and flames aroung the guys head goes, the flag was probably soaked in gas.  So the fumes will also ignite and cause very litte smoke at first.

Just my .02 cents
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:52:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm wrong but I couldn't help noticing:

buildings and people in the background don't match in the two photos.
View Quote

Cameraman moved to change his vantage point. Different people moved forward when he caught on fire.
colors of the flag vs. colors of everything else in same picture.
View Quote

Do you expect vibrant colors on desert people? They don't exactly plan their lives around the exciting new spring wardrobe.

fire, but no smoke
View Quote

Ever see fire before, I mean really watch it? The fire is just starting in the bottom picture, while in the top picture, the smoke would be above the flame if there was any.
that's a lot of fire in the top photo for such a small fuel load.
View Quote

If you want to light a flag in a demonstration, you don't want it not to light. you soak it in something flammable. gasoline, kerosene, etc.

fire reaching around guys head. Why would it do that?
View Quote

The flame follows the form of the object burning. Looks like the guy holding the flag moved it in the direction of the guy lighting the flag.

Hopefully I'm wrong.
View Quote

You are. I also think you you may have a little too much tinfoil on. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#4]
if you were on fire, would you just simply stand there?  I be the guy was flailing around and running like a madman on fire!  That's probably why the background don't match well!
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#5]
It looks like his hand is in the fire in the second picture. It could be fake. A freind and I just got done looking at that same picture in our local newspaper
[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I moved both photo's to further check them out in my Paint Shop Pro 7 program.

One can only hope this is true though. I've alway's prayed that our own "Flag Burner's" in this country would light one off and end up burning like the "Monk" did in "Saigon" when he set himself on fire.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top