Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 8:05:21 PM EDT
Hey,

I'm looking into taking a course or two in the next 6-9 months, and I was hoping you wise old sages out there could help a fella out. Please let me know if you've been to either Thunder Ranch, Gunsite or LFI and what your impression was.

Thanks,
SAMHAIN44
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:12:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Samhain44,
If you want to stay on the East coast then try BlackWater. Take a look at their page.
[url]http://www.blackwaterlodge.com/[/url]
-David
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I know some Texas guys who've been to Thunder Ranch multiple times and love it.  They keep talking about going back again and again.  I've personally never been, but plan on going once I have a full-time job again.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Samhain44,

If you're choosing between these three, I don't think you can go wrong.  

I haven't been to either TR or GS, but have looked into them and would probably go to TR if I were to take one of these classes.  From what I've read TR is state of the art for both their facilites and instrutruction.

My impression of GS is that they are a bit more dogmatic in their approach.  I tend to disagree that there is "one true way" for self-defense and feel the more skills I have in my bag of tricks, the better off I am.  I wouldn't hesitiate to take a class with them though.  I'd just rather train at TR first.

I know a fellow that is a part time instructor at Blackwater, and if he is any indication of the quality of their staff, you will defintely get you monies worth.  I haven't seen the facility but have heard it is pretty impressive.  If I were limited in my budget, I think BW would be a good choice.

At any of these facilites you're probably going to be presented with more than you can absorb, but will no doubt come away a better shooter.

I have taken LFI 1 with Mas Ayoob.  Level 1 incorporates some dynamic shooting skills and requires a qualification that is as stringent as most PD's.  That said, it is not a shooting course like TR or GS.  What it does best is prepare you to have to correct mindset to survive, and the knowledge to help manage the aftermath of a self defense shooting.  It provides an excellent foundation for addtional shooting skills courses, and unlike some other self defense instructors, Mas will encourage you to seek training with other knowledgeable instructors.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Been here, thought it useful.

[url]www.frontsight.com[/url]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Blah to all of them.  Stay local, go to Penna. Firearms Development Corp.  Fantastic trainers (Giles Stock, Randy Cain, Peter Gerodigies) and a whole lot cheaper.  

Drop Pete a message at [email][email protected][/email] and he can get you all the details.  Great bunch of guys.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I have never been to TR but GS was excellent the instructors were top notch and the staff was exceedingly friendly. The both teach the same basic doctirne so you really can't go wrong.

Clinth
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#8]
GS is a nice facility. Lots of ranges. They do have some good classes. The Chino Valley / Prescott area is nice.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Both Gunsite and TR are equally as good... There are slight differences and the facilities at TR are a little better (Gunsite is improving theirs.) TR is my favorite right now, but only by a nose. I found TR to be more physical than Gunsite.
Gunsite's "Mindset" speech is just awsome and it's worth going to TR just to hear Clint Smith talk.
I have no experience with LFI. But, keep in mind that LFI is not a shooting school. It deals with the use a lethal force. Sooting is involved, some is a lot of legal and post shooting stuff.

Hielo is on point with his suggestion. Both Giles Stock and Randy Cain teach at Gunsite. A friend has taken a class with Randy and was pleased. I plan on taking one from him in the future.

I'll warn you, good training gets addictive.

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Louis Awerbuck also teches some classes at Gunsite. He is a great teacher. If you can get a class with Bill Jeans when he is teaching @ Gunsite, get it! He is a good teacher. He holds LE classes at our range and is very good. His sight is: morrigan-consulting.com
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been to TR for the defensive handgun class and it was awesome, I'm definately going back.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Never been to GS, but been to TR twice for two different courses.  TR is outstanding.  Excellent facilities, superb people; you'll come out of there "feeling" like you're well trained.  I would give TR my very most highest recommendation.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Louis Awerbuck also teches some classes at Gunsite. He is a great teacher. If you can get a class with Bill Jeans when he is teaching @ Gunsite, get it! He is a good teacher. He holds LE classes at our range and is very good. His sight is: morrigan-consulting.com
View Quote

Louis taught my 250 Class... The man knows his sh!t and is a total riot.
He has his own outfit too:
[url]http://www.yfainc.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top