Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2007 12:05:02 AM EDT
Gee, I keep hearing how they want to learn english
this reminds me of the reaction that Bill Cosby got

If they want to learn english what is wrong with switching to the english channels
In fact, I can get spanish subtitles for english stations(which would be good for them)
but, I CANNOT get english subtitles for the spanish stations...........for some reason

Spanish-language Media Blast Governor for His Comments
La Opinion & Univision Radio, Posted: Jun 15, 2007
http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=3a07367c48182e9d0595df94108d788f
SAN FRANCISCO - Calif. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's comments at the National Association of Hispanic Journalists' Convention this week that Latinos should turn off their Spanish-language televisions and learn English sparked strong reactions in the state's Spanish-language media. DJs on Univision's radio station La Kalle 105.7 FM in San Francisco said Thursday that Latinos should watch Spanish-language television and English-language television. In a state where Latinos are now becoming the majority, they added, Gov. Schwarzenegger should learn Spanish and learn more about Latino culture. Being bilingual is a benefit in California, they said, where companies seek employees who speak more than one language.

LOS ANGELES - It is absurd to blame Latinos' low academic performance on Hispanic media (then what, praytell should it be blamed on?) , an editorial in La Opinión argues. The governor used the false argument(?) that Latino immigrants don't want to learn English, editors say. In fact, the editorial notes, there aren't enough adult English classes to meet immigrants' demand for them. The governor doesn't know the United States' long history with media that inform and help numerous immigrant groups in their language, editors write. These groups have gone on to enrich this nation, the editorial notes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#1]
<heaves a deep sigh>

CoC.

<sighs again>
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:11:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Gee, I keep hearing how they want to learn english
this reminds me of the reaction that Bill Cosby got

If they want to learn english what is wrong with switching to the english channels
In fact, I can get spanish subtitles for english stations(which would be good for them)
but, I CANNOT get english subtitles for the spanish stations...........for some reason

Spanish-language Media Blast Governor for His Comments
La Opinion & Univision Radio, Posted: Jun 15, 2007
http://news.ncmonline.com/news/view_article.html?article_id=3a07367c48182e9d0595df94108d788f
SAN FRANCISCO - Calif. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's comments at the National Association of Hispanic Journalists' Convention this week that Latinos should turn off their Spanish-language televisions and learn English sparked strong reactions in the state's Spanish-language media. DJs on Univision's radio station La Kalle 105.7 FM in San Francisco said Thursday that Latinos should watch Spanish-language television and English-language television. In a state where Latinos are now becoming the majority, they added, Gov. Schwarzenegger should learn Spanish and learn more about Latino culture. Being bilingual is a benefit in California, they said, where companies seek employees who speak more than one language.

LOS ANGELES - It is absurd to blame Latinos' low academic performance on Hispanic media (then what, praytell should it be blamed on?) , an editorial in La Opinión argues. The governor used the false argument(?) that Latino immigrants don't want to learn English, editors say. In fact, the editorial notes, there aren't enough adult English classes to meet immigrants' demand for them. The governor doesn't know the United States' long history with media that inform and help numerous immigrant groups in their language, editors write. These groups have gone on to enrich this nation, the editorial notes.

And the funny thing is, the Governor *is* bilingual...

He's not telling them to do anything he didn't do himself (as a former non-english-speaking immigrant)...

Maybe they should have to learn German???
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:42:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Pete Wilson was the last american governer, Ahhhnold is only a transition for the mexican governer who will be next.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top