Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2001 4:00:57 PM EDT
I have a gun I need to ship back to the manufacture. Which carrier should I use, and what is the standard proceedure. Should I tell them there is a gun inside the box. Do I need to go to an FFL to ship the gun? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of firearm is it?  If it's a rifle or shotgun, the Post Office is the best route.  If it's a handgun, you can't mail it so FedEx is you're best bet.  You are not legally required to tell the carrier that there is a firearm in the package if you are shipping to an FFL holder, but you should for insurance purposes.  The carrier's rules require you to declare and they can deny insurance claims if you don't.  You do not have to ship from an FFL according to Federal regulations.  Check state laws for exceptions (i.e., "assault weapons" from California).
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
No need for an FFL for that. If it's a long gun, you're free to use Parcel Post, UPS, Federal Express, etc. If it's a handgun, then you're barred from using Parcel Post unless it's going FFL to FFL. Federal Express and UPS require handguns to go next day service. Pack the gun securely and declare it if you're wanting insurance. Make no markings on the exterior of the box indicating that it's a firearm. Occasionally UPS and Federal Express counter dickheads will try to tell you the law and open and inspect the package. Nothing to prevent them from opening the package, but don't let them try and intimidate you into thinking what you're doing is illegal. Ask for a supervisor and the trouble will cease. If going Parcel Post, write out a short statement to the effect of "Postmaster- Enclosed is a Model XXX shotgun/rifle in XXX caliber/XXX gauge. It is being sent to blah blah blah, a gunsmith/the manufacturer for repair. I declare that is unloaded and that there are no live munitions contained herein. Signed, ME." Insure it for whatever value you think is reasonable and be on your way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are shipping it to a Authorized repair center, the factury or a dealer, you do not need a FFL. Same goes for the return from those mentioned. UPS (expect to have the box opened)shipping now is required next day air for handguns and I believe longuns. You can also send U.S. post if shipping to the above. We use a service called Speedie up here in northern Minn. And yes you should tell the shipper it is a firearm, but DO NOT label the outside as such, it is against the regs. Besides they will ask anyway when you want to insure it and do it return reciept required so you know they got it. Hope this answers your question, for I have shipped many firearms like this and never a problem. The last time I asked the clerk at the Post Office (2 months ago)you could still send a handgun through the mail to a dealer with his FFL # or manufacture/repair center.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Jim_Dandy,
You made an excellent point about bringing a signed statement to the Post Office.  A lot of people (including postal employees) don't realize that the postal regulations allow for an affidavit that a firearm is unloaded in lieu of actual inspection of the firearm.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I knew I could get the answers I need.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Pack the gun securely and declare it if you're wanting insurance.
View Quote

With Fed Ex you do NOT have to declare it for ins purpose, just mark the amount of insure on the Airway Bill.
Occasionally UPS and Federal Express counter dickheads will try to tell you the law and open and inspect the package.
View Quote

Again, Fed EX WILL NOT OPEN A PACKAGE for inspection, only UPS and USPS will
Ask for a supervisor and the trouble will cease.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you an employee of Federal Express? The USPS gives you the option of having the package opened and inspected or you can just write out the statement. It's been my experience that with their volume business, they prefer the written statement option.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Again, Fed EX WILL NOT OPEN A PACKAGE for inspection, only UPS and USPS will
View Quote

Strange. I was just at fedex today and saw the sign that said they reserve the right to open and inspect packages. I'll have to tell them to take down that sign next time I'm there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I got this off of their website:
We may, but are not obligated to, open and inspect any shipment at our sole discretion and with or without notice.
View Quote

Because they don't open and inspect where you are does not necessarily apply to ALL Federal Express counters. Like UPS, they allow their center managers a fairly wide latitude in which to operate.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Strange. I was just at fedex today and saw the sign that said they reserve the right to open and inspect packages. I'll have to tell them to take down that sign next time I'm there.
View Quote

Yes, I work for Fed Ex, and that sign is for drugs. Sometimes the DEA or local LEO's comes in with dogs and runs them by the packages, but it's not for firearms.
KenS
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
And it has been my experience that not ALL UPS counters require a declaration of contents, but the one in Oklahoma City sure does.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#12]
last week at a UPS in MN, i was told i had to go through a ffl dealer.  i was sending a lower to dpms.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#13]
That's why I said to get a supervisor out there and get 'em out there right now. There's no reason to have to put up with that kind of horseshit.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#14]
In the past I have shipped a handgun and 2 rifles back to the manufacturer for repair and I used UPS and declared them as guns w/ no problems.

Hope this helps.

ASR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top