Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2007 12:12:14 AM EDT
Source: Edmonds
04-16-2007

WOLFSBURG, Germany — The head of the Volkswagen Group's supervisory board, Ferdinand Piëch, used celebrations surrounding his 70th birthday over the weekend to point at the resurrection of plans for a new super-economical small Volkswagen.

In an interview with the Braunschweiger Zeitung newspaper, Piëch said the production of a car capable of traveling 100 kilometers on just one liter of fuel (the equivalent of 235 miles per U.S. gallon) is now achievable, citing advances in materials and general reductions in costs.

Piëch hinted that newly installed Volkswagen chairman Martin Winterkorn will likely make the car a reality, although he declined to provide any time frame for its introduction or price. The paper quotes Piëch as saying: "I have spoken with a manufacturer. He believes he can deliver components within two years for €5,000 rather than €35,000 [U.S. $6,775 rather than $47,400]. It then comes into the sort of territory where a normal customer can afford it. That was at my time [as chairman] not possible."

Piëch's comments come five years after he and then incoming Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsreider made a media event of their time inside a teardrop-shaped Volkswagen with an 8.5-horsepower, 299cc one-cylinder engine. They piloted the little concept car 135 miles from the company's Wolfsburg headquarters to its annual shareholder meeting in Hanover, averaging a claimed 222 miles per U.S. gallon.

Along with production of Volkswagen's Lupo 3L (a weight-optimized version of the German carmaker's former entry-level model, capable of 78 miles per U.S. gallon), development of the super-frugal research vehicle was halted by Pischetsreider in 2005.

In a controversial swipe at his successor, Piëch told the Braunschweiger Zeitung, "As I relinquished the chairmanship of Volkswagen I gave my successor the job of further developing the 1-Liter Car [Piëch's name for the research vehicle] and the Lupo 3L. Both were stopped. But we will resurrect them."

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#1]
That idea sounds really good until you get hit by a pickup truck.  Not to mention getting your ass kicked for driving a faggotwagon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:18:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That idea sounds really good until you get hit by a pickup truck.  Not to mention getting your ass kicked for driving a faggotwagon.

If i could drive that far for 2.70 i would do it in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
8.5 HP 1 cylinder engine?

quick somebody throw some lawnmower blades onto the bottom of that thing..
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:33:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Source: Edmonds
04-16-2007

WOLFSBURG, Germany — The head of the Volkswagen Group's supervisory board, Ferdinand Piëch, used celebrations surrounding his 70th birthday over the weekend to point at the resurrection of plans for a new super-economical small Volkswagen.

In an interview with the Braunschweiger Zeitung newspaper, Piëch said the production of a car capable of traveling 100 kilometers on just one liter of fuel (the equivalent of 235 miles per U.S. gallon) is now achievable, citing advances in materials and general reductions in costs.

Piëch hinted that newly installed Volkswagen chairman Martin Winterkorn will likely make the car a reality, although he declined to provide any time frame for its introduction or price. The paper quotes Piëch as saying: "I have spoken with a manufacturer. He believes he can deliver components within two years for €5,000 rather than €35,000 [U.S. $6,775 rather than $47,400]. It then comes into the sort of territory where a normal customer can afford it. That was at my time [as chairman] not possible."

Piëch's comments come five years after he and then incoming Volkswagen chairman Bernd Pischetsreider made a media event of their time inside a teardrop-shaped Volkswagen with an 8.5-horsepower, 299cc one-cylinder engine. They piloted the little concept car 135 miles from the company's Wolfsburg headquarters to its annual shareholder meeting in Hanover, averaging a claimed 222 miles per U.S. gallon.

Along with production of Volkswagen's Lupo 3L (a weight-optimized version of the German carmaker's former entry-level model, capable of 78 miles per U.S. gallon), development of the super-frugal research vehicle was halted by Pischetsreider in 2005.

In a controversial swipe at his successor, Piëch told the Braunschweiger Zeitung, "As I relinquished the chairmanship of Volkswagen I gave my successor the job of further developing the 1-Liter Car [Piëch's name for the research vehicle] and the Lupo 3L. Both were stopped. But we will resurrect them."

img228.imageshack.us/img228/4043/vw200mpgcarey9.jpg

Whats the top speed on that little dragster of yours there Ferdinand?  5, no maybe 10 miles an hour?

Assumeing that thing can even GET to 60 miles per hour, and I highly dought that it can the 0-60 time would be measured in MINUTES, not seconds.  That thing litteraly has a chain saw engine in it.  I wager you'de also be rideing with your knees on your chest, and it appears to be a one seater.  I like how they "came down" from $47,400, to the low low price of $6,775, someone is seeing dollar sighns with this thing, would you pay $6,775 for basicly a chain saw engine with a seat on it?

Won't be long before the hippie environmentalist whackjobs start demanding that we must all be forced to buy those things though (they ofcourse will continue to get driven around in there Suburbans because there special), just like some of them started to do when the Prieus came out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Shit I will ride my bike that ges 45 mpg.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell, you could probably outrun that thing with a 10 speed huffy.  And the huffy gets better gas mileage.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:46:24 AM EDT
[#8]
envirowhackos are orgasming over this.

everything's all fine and dandy until you realize that thing ain't gonna make it up most hills around here.

Not to mention it only seats one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#9]
It will be the ultimate anti-terrorist weapon.
It makes their only commodity, oil (besides hate), rather devalued.

Good Luck
Bill
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
If it could get to 65 - 70 I'd drive it all day long.

I'd love it if it could keep up with traffic.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:03:06 AM EDT
[#11]
So... it's an underpowered, fuel-efficient motorcycle with the world's largest windshield and too many wheels
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:53:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
So... it's an underpowered, fuel-efficient motorcycle with the world's largest windshield and too many wheels

that sir is a disservice to motorcycles everywhere.

didnt mattel make this make something alone these lines about 20 years ago?

pow-pow-power wheels
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top