Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2007 4:02:10 PM EDT
looking for recommendations for bulletin board software. Main requirement is that it be able to have everything completely private - require a user name / password to read and post, an control who gets to sign up.

What do you use, how do you like it, etc.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
SMF (Simple Machine Forum) works great, is secure (Much better than PHPBB in that respect). Free, and easy to install/ keep updated.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#3]
VBulletin isn't free, but they're pretty good about updates.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Been using PHPBB for soemtime now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How many members do you have, and about how much bandwidth do you go through a month?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
phpBB2 within a phpnuke site.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Invision Power Board.

invisionfree.com/ has all the features you mentioned.
Might want to register one soon, because they're switching to a new software that kind of sucks, but if you have an old board you have the option not to upgrade.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd also be interested in who 'yall are using for your hosting companies, what type of packages you have and the monthly/annual cost of the hosting....
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
SMF (Simple Machine Forum) works great, is secure (Much better than PHPBB in that respect). Free, and easy to install/ keep updated.

+1.  I've been using SMF for a couple of years now.  It works great.

As for hosting, right now I'm using Steadfast Networks.  I'm on the basic plan.

500 MB of Disk Space
30 GB of Monthly Data Transfer
Hosting for Unlimited Domains
Unlimited Databases
Unlimited Email Accounts
Unlimited Subdomains
Enterprise SPAM Filtering
$4.95 per month - Free Setup

I have also used Bluehost in the past.  They were pretty good as well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'd also be interested in who 'yall are using for your hosting companies, what type of packages you have and the monthly/annual cost of the hosting....

Another good question. I'm not sure how much bandwidth a forum generally users per month per user.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Another good question. I'm not sure how much bandwidth a forum generally users per month per user.

In my experience your biggest problem is not bandwidth. A high-traffic forum will require a pretty hefty backend server, databases can get pretty heavy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:45:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many members do you have, and about how much bandwidth do you go through a month?

500 and not alot. Not alot at all...
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:51:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I use Known Host

I would highly advise you to spend a bit of time and find a good webhost. I went with 2 cheap ones.....Never again. Its just not worth the hassle to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Save yourself the effort, bastiat.  The Pink Pistols already have a website.  

Link Posted: 4/23/2007 3:59:30 AM EDT
[#15]
As for hosting, I use powweb. 1 package. Been with them for several years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top