Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 6:07:17 PM EDT
My wife's mother came by tonight to watch our 7 month old while we went to the store/wal-mart for an hour...

One of the women at her work who she knows through a friend (Hallmark corporate), had a daughter who was shot and later died of her wounds during the VT massacre.  To make things worse, they were getting in the car and going to go to the airport from KC to fly to the East Coast as the daughter had not passed yet.  They also have an eight year old daughter.  The father and mother thought she was in the car and ended up backing up over her and killing her in their own driveway.  Not a short while later they got the call their other daughter passed too.  

My wife's mother told us that the mother of the two daughters (only 2 children they had) was in the hospital and heavily sedated on drugs because she is a wreck.  They were raising money at Hallmark (KC Missouri) for the family today.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:40:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Good grief.

And we think we have problems....
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I cannot even begin to imagine how devastated they must be. If I were religious I would certainly pray for them.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
That is the saddest thing I have heard in a long time.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
sad indeed...

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats horrible, atleast they are together in a better place now.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Good grief.

Amen!

You know what? If you and your family have their health... you have EVERYTHING!

Thats the truth.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Prayers...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thats horrible
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:48:51 PM EDT
[#12]
How the fuck do you not realize your kid isn't in the car with you, especially when you only have one to keep track of?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How the fuck do you not realize your kid isn't in the car with you, especially when you only have one to keep track of?

It happens. Trust me.

Throw in the fact that they are rushing to the airport because some loser just gunned down their other daughter, and anything can happen. Brains aren't exactly clear at that point.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't what to say.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I read in a news story, a father forgot his child was in the car, and pared it the hot sun, their child died.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]
beyond sad.
What a world sometimes. I can't make sense of these types of things happening.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I can't think of words other than God bless them please.

HH
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Good God, that's so terrible. If possible names would be nice, they need all the prayers they can get. Both daughters wow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Tell you what, when one of your kids gets gunned down and you have no clue if she's gonna make it, you tell me if your mind is working as usual.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Sad beyond words.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sad beyond words.

+1
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Sometimes life just sticks it in and breaks it off.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
This sounds like one of those spam messages that get's passed around the internet and later becomes urdan legend despite not being the least bit factual...

If true, my thoughts go out to them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow.

That is unreal.

Wow.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
this is right up there with the worst things i have ever heard.  

god bless them and give them comfort.

Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Is this for real ?

because if it's not it's in poor taste
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This sounds like one of those spam messages that get's passed around the internet and later becomes urdan legend despite not being the least bit factual...

I didn't find a female from Kansas, Missouri, or Kansas City on the list of victims. Also no news reports on google(seems like something news people would jump on).

You say people are collecting money for this family? Where's it going? An online account? Is this sad tale being passed around by email?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is this for real ?

I hope not.

because if it's not it's in poor taste

That would be an infinite understatement.

ETA: Snopes Link - Undetermined, but leaning toward false...
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:40:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't find a female from Kansas, Missouri, or Kansas City on the list of victims. Also no news reports on google(seems like something they'd jump on).

You say people are collecting money for this family? Where's it going? An online account? Is this being passed around by email?

From what I heard from my mother in law the family was originally from the south but moved to KC for the job at Hallmark.  I'll ask my wife in the morning to see if she can talk to her mother and find out the names but I know neither of them would make up something, especially this.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:44:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't find a female from Kansas, Missouri, or Kansas City on the list of victims. Also no news reports on google(seems like something they'd jump on).

You say people are collecting money for this family? Where's it going? An online account? Is this being passed around by email?

From what I heard from my mother in law the family was originally from the south but moved to KC for the job at Hallmark.  I'll ask my wife in the morning to see if she can talk to her mother and find out the names but I know neither of them would make up something, especially this.

I was in no way insinuating your family invented this. I was wondering the origins of the story. Often these things get way down the grape vine and linked to "my cousin's, husband's, niece, was told by her friend's uncle's boss".

I'm still trying to google as many key words as I can think of and coming up with zilch on this...which makes me suspicious, what with the ratings fervor the media has for tragedy of this magnitude.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:44:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I read in a news story, a father forgot his child was in the car, and pared it the hot sun, their child died.

That actually isn't too uncommon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
ETA: Snopes Link - Undetermined, but leaning toward false...

See...already the story seems to have been modified from the Snopes version to the version that has reached our op.

I never take these stories at face value without a citation and so far I just can't find a single cite.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Good grief.

thanks for putting things in perspective...

that is horrible.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell you what, when one of your kids gets gunned down and you have no clue if she's gonna make it, you tell me if your mind is working as usual.

I've had quite a few family members and friends die without warning and was present when my great-uncle's body was found. I've also been under immediate threat of great bodily harm or death on more than one occasion, including attempted murder. Not once in any of those situations did my mind stop working normally.

You have ONE kid to keep track of, that is supposed to be in a space the size of most bathrooms. If you can't figure out that your kid isn't in the back seat of your fucking car, then you shouldn't be driving. If you can't be bothered to look behind when you back up, then you shouldn't be driving.

I realize most people aren't as mentally collected or rational as I am (for instance, it never ceases to amaze me that some children, and even adults, can't discern the difference between television and reality), but how fucking hard is it to make sure your kid is the car or to not run someone over with your car?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd like to see how this turns out...

BTW I couldn't find anything about this net on the net
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:35:12 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
You have ONE kid to keep track of, that is supposed to be in a space the size of most bathrooms. If you can't figure out that your kid isn't in the back seat of your fucking car, then you shouldn't be driving.

Assuming the story is true, you're right: they shouldn't have been driving. Someone should have taken them.

Sadly, if my daughter was in that situation, I'd be hell-bent to get there ASAP, too, and might not think that straight.

Cut these people some slack. They are going to punish themselves more than you ever will be able to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top