Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2001 9:13:14 AM EDT
high bid is $125, someone outbid me.  2 NBC suits, 2 filters, 1 canteen and drinking straw.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Be happy! You will have to walk around with all of that gear 24/7 and when you find out that "they" have attacked you may be infected at that time and the suits and mask won't help anyway. NBC suits have a life span up to 3 days from what I have read. And will you have the correct filter(s) for the type(s) of bio/chem attack?

Just live your life without fear and "if" you/we get gassed well then it was our/your time. If God wants us/you he will take you whenever and where ever you are.

Just keep your eyes open and live.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#2]
well said greg.

btt
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry, I just have to say something here...

I've seen several gas mask topics, and there's always a few people with the attitude Greg has.

I'm sorry, but I don't live MY life in fear, but I also have the sense to know I'd rather be safe than sorry. If someone buys a mask, tosses it in their car (which most people ALWAYS have near them) and forgets about it....what's the harm? Maybe it won't protect against everything, but if it can save their life in ANY situation, I'll bet they will be VERY glad they spend the money....which by the way is nothing when we're talking about our lives and our health. I'm so tired of hearing these people try to be know-it-alls and tell people they waste their money, blah, blah, blah. They are obviously good for some things....just live and let live.

and as far as "it was your time" and "if god wants you he will take you" is the most complete BS I've heard all week, and I've heard a lot!
I don't want to get into a religous debate here, but I don't live my life with the philosophy of "i can't do anything for self-preservation, it's  all in god's hands"

I'm not lining up to buy a mask, but if someone wants one (and I completely understand their limits and what the are and aren't good for) I'm not going to get on my soap box and tell them they're an idiot because they'll need to carry it around all day. With that mentality, the military shouldn't bother to carry them around all day either....it sounds like a real pain in the ass.....might as well lay down and die, cuz it must be your time to go, and God doesn't wait.

rant over....flame away
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree to a certin extent silverstrand... I too understand the limits of gas masks and mopp suits and all of that other gear.  But they must be good for something.  And even if they aren't, who cares... its somebody else's money and time...

But i don't think that greg was trying to call the original poster an idiot.  He made some valid points about the problems with NBC gear in civilian use...  I mean I could sy the same things about all of my rifles... If somebody attacks me at home, than believe me, it will be the biggest mistake of their life.  However, What if i get attacked far from my rifles??? Then what... and I can't really carry an ar, ak, or m1A around in my back pocket...
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't mean to imply Greg was calling him an idiot, and apologize if it came across that way.

My point is yours.....someone else's money, let them do what they do. I mean half the people saying not to waste your money on these are the same one's buying 5000 rounds of ammo.....what are you shooting at?????

And about carrying it around 24/7...so what?

and the arguement about "maybe" you'll already be infected....well, maybe not too.

and "do you have the correct filters"
many people do, yes

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm sorry, I just have to say something here...

and as far as "it was your time" and "if god wants you he will take you" is the most complete BS I've heard all week, and I've heard a lot!

I'm not going to get on my soap box and tell them they're an idiot because they'll need to carry it around all day. With that mentality, the military shouldn't bother to carry them around all day either....it sounds like a real pain in the ass.....might as well lay down and die, cuz it must be your time to go, and God doesn't wait.

rant over....flame away
View Quote

I feel sorry for you my friend about the God statement.

I guess I forgot to bring my soapbox to tell people that they are idiot's HUH? So I guess from what I said to Smeghead I just should have typed the words "you are an idiot"? I NEVER stated that he was an idiot! I respect his (as yours) right to own whatever he wants. I think his money can be spent better on other things right now.

Yes the military has them. They are more of a bio/chem attack target than we are.

I never thought that ANYONE here that has a mask/NBC suit was or is an idiot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
well if you read the above post, you will clearly see i didn't mean you were calling him an idiot.
it was a general statement about people with your  point of view responding in a negative way.

and don't feel sorry for me about the god statement, i take full responsibility for my actions and what happens as a result, i don't use god as a cop-out. "oh well, god must have wanted it this way" isn't in my vocabulary, *I* am responsible for myself, and thats' that.
god has no part in what happens to me when I go on my lunchbreak in an hour. And if i die, it's probably because i (or someone else by cause of their actions) caused it....not god.

by your logic, why buy a rifle for personal protection? if god wants you to live, he will magically strike the gun out of the criminals hands with a mighty bolt of lightning
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I didn't mean to imply Greg was calling him an idiot, and apologize if it came across that way.

My point is yours.....someone else's money, let them do what they do. I mean half the people saying not to waste your money on these are the same one's buying 5000 rounds of ammo.....what are you shooting at?????

And about carrying it around 24/7...so what?

and the arguement about "maybe" you'll already be infected....well, maybe not too.

and "do you have the correct filters"
many people do, yes

View Quote
 Were cool[:D]

About carrying it around 24/7 that you will have to keep it at your side at all times. Store,work,school and so on. How will you know when the attack has be started? Will you have an air monitor with you? Just wanting to know. Not a flame but if you do that's cool and I am glad you took steps towards your survival.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
well if you read the above post, you will clearly see i didn't mean you were calling him an idiot.
it was a general statement about people with your  point of view responding in a negative way.

and don't feel sorry for me about the god statement, i take full responsibility for my actions and what happens as a result, i don't use god as a cop-out. "oh well, god must have wanted it this way" isn't in my vocabulary, *I* am responsible for myself, and thats' that.
god has no part in what happens to me when I go on my lunchbreak in an hour. And if i die, it's probably because i (or someone else by cause of their actions) caused it....not god.

by your logic, why buy a rifle for personal protection? if god wants you to live, he will magically strike the gun out of the criminals hands with a mighty bolt of lightning
View Quote

Sorry, But you posted that before I finished mine.

Ok, I guess you don't believe in God so that is ok. If you don't then you don't. We will drop God from this post..OK?
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:17:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Come on, someone outbid me already and quit yappin!  :)

Found me a M95 and M40 kit I want instead.  :D

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#11]
WOOHOO!  GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU!  ESPECIALLY THE ONE WHO OUTBID ME!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top