Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2001 12:49:28 PM EDT
From: [url]http://www.rollcall.com/pages/columns/hoh/[/url]

Losing Control at Handgun Control? While one airliner after another slashes their payrolls, the best-known anti-gun lobby in Washington laid off 14 people Tuesday.

Officials at the Brady Campaign, formerly known as Handgun Control, confirmed to HOH yesterday that they cut nearly 20 percent of their staff this week.

"It's a difficult time around here," said spokesman Brendan Daly. "Like a lot of other nonprofit organizations, we've been hit by the downturn in the economy."

Daly said the group has also been affected by the terrorism in America, which has led to overflow contributions to relief efforts. "The terrorist attacks have rightly focused people on helping the victims, but that has a direct impact on our fundraising."

The fact that gun control has not been at the top of the Congressional agenda has also not helped the group founded by Jim and Sarah Brady after Mr. Brady nearly died from a gunshot wound during the 1981 assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan. Among their triumphs was getting the Brady bill signed into law, which resulted in a five-day waiting period on handgun purchases.

"They've known some of these people for a very long time," Daly said of the couple. "But I think they're holding up."

I feel soooooo bad for them...[>(]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn! 80% to go. At least Sarah's retirement is inevitable.  Bitch.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 12:56:26 PM EDT
[#3]
i seem to remember a figure earlier this week that california handgun background checks were up 42% since sept 11.

Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#4]
For whatever it's worth Mrs. Brady will not have much of a retirement.  I certainly wouldn't wish this on anyone but she's got stage 4 metastatic lung cancer which is not cureable.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Mess with the best
Die like the rest
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:19:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For whatever it's worth Mrs. Brady will not have much of a retirement.  I certainly wouldn't wish this on anyone but she's got stage 4 metastatic lung cancer which is not cureable.
View Quote

That was exactly my point. Let me know when it's over....
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damn! 80% to go. At least Sarah's retirement is inevitable.  Bitch.
View Quote

All of our "retirements" are inevitable.  I just pray I don't go out like her.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Ye reap what ye sow.  The evil Brady's will one day be gone from the earth and private gun ownership will still exist, with any luck.

I won't be satisfied until HCI closes its doors forever, the Million Moms disband, and their headquarters is razed and turned into a shooting range or gun shop.

Then we have to clean up the US Senate.  

No matter what, there will have to be eternal vigilance though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Listen to those bastards whining about how the diaster literally stole their fund raising dollars away.

Daly said the group has also been affected by the terrorism in America, which has led to overflow contributions to relief efforts. "The terrorist attacks have rightly focused people on helping the victims, but that has a direct impact on our fundraising."
View Quote

Who the hell ever said all the money would have been destined for those HCI asswipes anywhow?

Selfish SOB's.

FCK them all!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The lung cancer is from all these years of trying to blow smoke over the facts that gun control doesn't work..
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]
They may go away but will the damage they have done with exisiting gun control laws go away too?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 11:52:14 PM EDT
[#12]
raf: The ones let go were probably people retained after the merger of HCI and the MMM org. Now that MMM org has been sucked dry of mailing lists, resources, etc., the superfluous staffers.......
View Quote

Ohhhh, you mean HCI, which was formerly NCCH, which was formerly (off & on since) the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence, which was formerly NCBH, which was formerly the embarrassingly disgusting, but short lived "pre 1979 HCI" that've been in bed with more people than every crack whore in Chicago combined?  

Every single one of the slimeballs is superfluous, & has been for years.

(BTW, it looks like they're thinking of changing their name again next month.)
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 12:21:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

What?? This woman was a smoker??
She smoked those evil cigarettes?!?

How ironic!!  How many people die from lung cancer every year due to smoking??

I'll bet it's more than the 19,000 or so that
are fatally shot every year. (I'm subtracting all the suicides)

Why didn't she fight to ban tobacco for the children??

She killed herself with tobacco & yet wants to save the country from the evil of guns. Jeez!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top