Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/27/2001 6:50:37 AM EDT
OK here it is

Oct 6, Izzac Walton Club in Oskaloosa, Iowa in South Cent part of state. Anyone welcome, nice door prizes too.

Read further in to get directions

IAJack
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd be in for the 6th if I can.  The 13th is my mother's birthday.  Your a long way from Sioux City, minmum of a 4 hour drive.    

Anyone a member of the Van Meter rifle range?  I hear that is a hell of a range, and it is in the middle of Iowa.  

JRB
Sioux City
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:09:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it is shaping up for the 6th. I'm gonna see if I can get my local gunshop to sponsor some door prizes if we can got enough people up for a little fun competition! ;) Sound off out there-let us know if you are going to be able to make it! IA Jack told me that the range can handle about 10 people, so we need to hear from all of you that are interested-If this turns out OK we would like to start it as a semi annual/annual type thing.Start emailing IA Jack or me if you have any direct Q's!

-Chopperdave out
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
i cant make it the 6th, i have a trapshoot deal. dont worry about it on account of me though.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The range I have in mind only allows paper, you can shoot milk jugs or whatever, but it must be able to be picked up and be picked up. It can also handle more than 10 ppl, but that is all that can shoot at one time. Also, like said we'd have to be out of there by 1pm.

Sorry so many restraints, I do have another place if needed as a backup where just about anything goes. Just thought a centrall IA location would be best and I know the ones near DESM are kinda in limbo? If anyone has a better idea let me know!!!

Other than that we will say the 6th!

Later

IAJAck
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick side note from a NYer-

Any of you guys live near the town of Peru, near winterset, in madison county? My grandfather grew up there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I live about twelve mi. away from Winterset. I've been through Peru.....I've spent all of my life except college years in Dallas/Madison Counties......
I went into the local gun shop and spoke with a few people-sounds like this is going to be a fun gathering. I've got the Guys at JLM Gun Shoppe in Des Moines to Donate some prizes if we want to have a little fun competition! Come on all of you fellow Iowegians, voice your presence and let's see just how well you can line those tack-drivers of yours up!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#8]
If all 10 of you show up at once that will constitue the entire republican voting base of Iowa.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:32:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If all 10 of you show up at once that will constitue the entire republican voting base of Iowa.
View Quote

sad but true.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Good to see so many people from Iowa! Sorry, I wont be able to make it the 6th, wish we had longer to plan. Its also good to se JLM Shooters Supply chipping in for prizes. They have a bunch of good guys in that shop. I have to stop in there this week to pick up my rifle, so I will see what they plan on giving for prizes. Make sure somebody gets some pictures from the shoot!
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
btt
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Booger Hooker-
Good to hear you got a 1-day pass. I'm really looking foreward to seeing everybody's equipment. I think that it should be a good turnout, heard from a few people. IA Jack is going to try to get a map&directions out, and I will try to get directions up and posted at JLM.

Later
Chopperdave
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Sounds good,

I vote for the 6th, because I will still be around, We're moving to ohio and will be gone on the 12th.

Is there an age limit at the range?

[rail]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I think this is a great idea. I just went to southern MO to a bbq/gun shoot to meet some people. It would be great to come and meet you all but we are having a birthday party for the kids this weekend. Even though its only about 2.5 hour drive.

Good luck and hopefully you can do this every year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Hold tight and stay tuned, I am still finalizing details and will post directions and such as soon as I get squared away on the range

I do have a couple backups in thw works incase

There is no age limit if properly supervised and under direction if they are little. Otherwise if you can legally own it in Iowa you can shoot it here.

I will post this evening with details

Later
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#17]
OK I finaly got ahold of the club, we are on for Sat morning!! I can be there anytime as I am an early riser. Prob will be around 8:00

I will Post more detailed instructions from home this evening, but here are the basics:

The shoot is at the Oskaloosa Izzac Walton Club. Osky is 60 Mi SE of Des Moines on the new Hwy 164 4-lane bypass. Take the first Oskaloosa Exit, head east towards "all services" or the downtown area. continue straight east, till it appears you are heading out of town. you will have gone past approx 4 stop lights and a place named "family restraunt". Head out of town (hwy 92) approx 4 mi. You will go past a water tower, there will be a white barn with a white windmill on the left hand side. Just past the barn is a turn to the left with an Izzac Walton sign on the corner by the corn. Turn down that road, then right at the first 4way grave inresection. continue on straight to a sweeping left and the grounds are straight ahead on the dead end of the road.

My number is 641-672-1014 if any questions.

I will post more tonight

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#18]
btt

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds good, I'll do my best to be there.

[rail]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:41:54 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like I hopefully can make it.  I will give you a call Wed. or Thurs night to touch base.  Do we get to shoot pistols as well as AR's?

Scooter.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:02:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Like I said, if it is legall in Iowa to own and shoot you can bring it along.

There is a nice 50yd pistol range, a 100, 200 then out to 400 rifle range.

Bring plnety of targets, stands and whatever. I will try to get the keys to get the target stands set out too. Oh and there are usually tons of unbroken clays lying out and about, so those are usually fun too.They can be setup or re-thrown by hand.

Its not a great range, but it is a start till we can plan and make this a regualr thing

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Some of you might remember me.. :)

I haven't bee real active since the new board came up (under 10 posts), but i still lurk once in a while...

I met a gentleman at a gun store in West Des Moines that pointed me to this event..

As it sits, i will probably be able to attend...

I will bring my 20" AR and i have a Bulgarian SLR-95 with a 65 round drum, in case any paper is hard to fall :)

bogz.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I rembemer ya bogz, be good to have you and meet you.

BTT
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#24]
bogz-
Were you the gentleman that was in their on Sat? I was picking up my 20" Colt that was weighted. It was good to meet another AR fan-and I look foreward to seeing you again the 6th!I have talked to Larry and Mark at the shop (JLM)and they said that they would have a few freebies to give away or as prizes for some kind of fun shooting game. Anyone have any sugg? IA Jack has been great to deal with getting this thing organized and this should be a fun time!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:29:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 4:39:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Booger Hooker-
Bring the family if they can come. I would bring the wife, but she is going to be out of town with the inlaws that weekend. She'd probably outshoot me anyway! ;)
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
We would welcome anyone, but unless the wife is used to being around alot of shooting and the baby is old enough to wear ear protection all the time then I would suggest caution. My GF is going to be at another function and was mad I didn't re-schedule for her-haha

At 1:00 is the Uncle Ikes meeting and shoot. They are younger 10-15 yr olds that are going to come shoot .22's you guys are welcome to hang and help with saftey there if needed. Also we can have a BBQ if ppl want to bring whatever. I will try to bring some pop and munchies. It is supposed to be cooler Sat. @ 57 for a high, so just bring a jacket and head cover cause it seems the wind always blows out here.

I think lining a few pigeons up on the backstop and seeing who can plug em the quickest would be fun. We could have an simple three gun contest and whatever.  Gee maybee we could get this to the size of the Illinois shoot and then invite them guys over here?

Later All

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:19:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Chopper:  That was me :)

I haven't shot my AR in a while..  Time to knock the dust off a bit...  Maybe i should go up to NLSI and plink a bit....

Yeah, i was quite surprised at the weight of the CMP rifle...  I think that it would be sweet for offhand shooting, once you got used to the extra weight.

IAJack: i know we have talked a LONG time ago about setting up a meet, but nothing came of it (i was in college at the time (go clones!) )

Does anyone have a M4 (or a similar rifle)?  I think that is the next gun i will build (I built mine, and have 2 or 3 lowers waiting to be mated with an upper)

Again, i hope to make it...  
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 3:59:56 AM EDT
[#29]
btt
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#30]
chopperdave,

Are you in reality my former neighbor from Knoxville?

If so, keep this whole "let's get together and shoot" thing under your hat or the Ckufin' Iowegian democommie widow-women will have ya banned!

Take care,
Schnert [BD]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 10:35:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Schnert-
Sorry, wasn't me. I've lived in Adel all of my life except for a few drunken and blurry years that I went to Iowa State to get my Animal Science Degree. Don't know about your demicommie widow, but I once had the Old woman next door call the cops on me when she saw me switching guns around in cases on my tailgate. Shoulda seen her face-she was SO SURE that my AR was some highly illegal, full auto, pack 'o cat killin' apocolypse rider totin' stick of Satan. Cop's show up, deputy ends up runnin through a few rounds with me that weekend, and we are still good friends ;) Bogz, Damn nice to meet you, hope you can make it. where do you live? I've got a 100 and 200 yd range set up in my back yard if you are free anymore weekends this fall......
Chopperdave
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Alright all you guys that were on the fence about coming, here's what we got to give away as prizes, all courtesy of the great guys at JLM! Two $45.00 gift cert. to JLM, Kleen Bore gun cleaning kit, North yellow-tinted eye protection, North gun muffler hearing protection with liquid-filled cushions, and 50 rds of black hills premium FMJ .223 rds. Not bad for a gathering that was just thrown together at the last minute! JLM also donated extra foam hearing protectors for those that bring significant others that don't have their own gear, 50 shoot and see targets, and 100 NRA standard paper targets. I really hope that a good number of people show up, if it turns out well JLM has said that they will sponser future shoots with even greater prizes. I'd hate to have to take all of this stuff home for myself, especially since my friends accuse me of not being able to hit a barn from inside it :) So, in the immortal words of Steve Martin in The Jerk, "Step right up and win some crap!"

See you all their!
Chopperdave
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#33]
In the words of Homer Simpson- woo hoo

Thanks Dave for rounding that stuff up, a special thanks to JLM for donating it. We will all have to send them thank you letters for their support.

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Could someone provide directions to the range? Thanks.

Edit:  Obviously I missed that part of the thread. Got it now.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#36]
sounds like this is comming togeather. wish i could be there, maybe if its done again,
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 6:58:42 AM EDT
[#37]
had a couple more call me that are possibly in

BTT
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Chopper:

I'm in West Des Moines, off of Ashworth between 50th and 60th street (by the baptist church)

I'd love to come out and shoot..  where you at?

When did you attend ISU?  I was there from 94-99...

Later.

bogz.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Directions are earlier in this tread, so is my number call or E-mail if need more info

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks to the mod who pinned this at the top, Iplaced it here in GD due to the low number of Iowa members we have and this forum getting the most traffic, THANKS

Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd like to be there, but if it's not raining I'll be pickin' corn.  It's that time of year again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh, and to those in the WDM area, I'm going to NLSI indoor range tonight to knock the dust off :)

I'll be the guy with the mousegun in the range :)

bogz.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 1:29:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Wouldn't you know it! My weekend is full. I wished I could be there. Maybe next time.[:(] Milldude

PS- get some good pix!
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 2:36:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#45]
This thing restricted or can a Moderator show up?
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Your always welcome Grin, as is anyone from the board wherever they are from

Don't all get pissed at me when you see what a small range it is though, but I think it will work nice for a quick put together type deal

Later

IAJack
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Grin:

The only restriction that i heard about moderators is that they have to bring at least 3 different full auto toys :)

bogz.
Link Posted: 10/4/2001 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Very sorry I can’t make this, I’ve got an itch to warm up the Oly & the Bush Rifle (SA.) The range in Van Meter is VERY nice, good thing too, as our democRAT appointed DNR Dog is shutting down all the “public” ranges in central Iowa for one lame excuse or another- Call DNR appointee Rod Slings 515-281-8652 & tell him to unstick his head. Stop in & see the GREAT GUYS at JLM (Larry, Marc, Steve & Mark.) They aren’t like some other stores in the area that will bait & switch guns on you, I won’t mention names, but I will say FO on them. JLM now is stocking Wilson guns, JLM also has a petition going to sort out all the range closing crap. I guess the party in power figures that if we don’t have anyplace to shoot our guns, interest in gun ownership will wane.

I shot IDPA at NLSI last week & have muzzleloader season next weekend, so a shoot this weekend is not compatible with my marriage. Maybe next time- Have Fun

X

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for the invite.  It just so happens that my wife is from Oskaloosa and was taking the kids down to the grandparents tomorrow anyhow.  Hee Hee!  It does mean that the honey do list won't get much done on it, but oh well!  

Also, if any of you guys are interested, there is a [size=4][b][blue]CMP John Garand match in Van Meter next Saturday, and a reduced course palma on Sunday.[/blue][/b][/size=4]  The Garand match does qualify you to purchase a Garand from the CMP for $500.  Go read about it at [red][url]http://www.odcmp.com.[/url][/red] That is the best deal you will find, because these have been checked out for function and gauged to be less than 5 (most are closer to 3) for throat erosion.  If you have problems with a Garand from the CMP, they will stand behind it and make it right.  PLUS, there is something really cool about buying a "Semi-automatic Assault Weapon" from your own Govt. in this day and age (it was even better when President Hillary and her husband were in office).  

The palma consists of 15 shots prone at 300 yards, 15 shots prone at 500 yards, and 15 shots prone at 600 yards.  You shot on the ground with a sling, and you get unlimited sighters at 300, and just two sighters each at 500 and 600.  This is a blast to shoot, and you will see some pretty impressive scores shot with some AR Service rifles through the iron sights (this match is all iron sight).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top