Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2007 5:35:03 PM EDT
Does the ammo have to be in some kind of approved container? My rifle will be in a pelican case. Do I need a small pelican for the ammo?

Thanks, AL
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Whoa....guess I could use a little educating here too!!!!!  I'll probably just buy ammo when I get to Mi., just might be easier.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
For an international flight, it's going to depend on the policy of the particular airline, and any restrictions will be on top of the standard domestic rules.

What country is letting you fly in with guns?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:51:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not flying international, but I've never flown with a gun before. I think it's probably about the same as when I flew with my crossbow. We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
You will need a form from the US State department, I bet, along with some other paperwork from someone else's embassy.  You don't give much info.  Do you own the plane?  Better be more specific.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You best insure it for somethin in case it gets "misplaced".
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Ammo is limited by weight and needs to be separate from the gun. It must also be in a box not loose. I just pack it in my suitcase. If you reload mark anything thats different as mine once got dumped out. Register your guns with customs before you leave. Be careful where you fly into as local laws can suck. Amsterdam wants to know your coming ahead of time with firearms. Some countries do not allow you to bring in ammo if you do not have the firearm with you so no favors for the proffesional hunter. Make sure you can have what your taking. Pistols and semi auto can be a big no no in some countries.

Have back up copies of the customs forms or other proof of ownership. Be ready to hear different rules from all involved. In africa keep some local money on hand when leaving. Tips/ bribes in U.S. dollars can be illegal in some places. Insure you guns! Air France broke the hinges on my Pelican case. mark your case in a way thats easy to pick out from others of the same type.

The U.S. State dept. use to have everything listed on their web site as per country.  I like to make copies of the air lines firearms policy one with you one in the case.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You will need a form from the US State department, I bet, along with some other paperwork from someone else's embassy.  You don't give much info.  Do you own the plane?  Better be more specific.

I will be flying from Nor Cal to L.A. on a private jet then to Switzerland  on Swiss air. then to Johanasburg on swiss air. And finaly a charter to Botswana.

I know I have to go to customs and get some paperwork for the rifle. I was mainly wondering about ammo. I guess I probably need to check with swiss air.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#8]
just hide everything under a burka.  No one will dare question you.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Ammo is limited by weight and needs to be separate from the gun. It must also be in a box not loose. I just pack it in my suitcase. If you reload mark anything thats different as mine once got dumped out. Register your guns with customs before you leave. Be careful where you fly into as local laws can suck. Amsterdam wants to know your coming ahead of time with firearms. Some countries do not allow you to bring in ammo if you do not have the firearm with you so no favors for the proffesional hunter. Make sure you can have what your taking. Pistols and semi auto can be a big no no in some countries.

Have back up copies of the customs forms or other proof of ownership. Be ready to hear different rules from all involved. In africa keep some local money on hand when leaving. Tips/ bribes in U.S. dollars can be illegal in some places. Insure you guns! Air France broke the hinges on my Pelican case. mark your case in a way thats easy to pick out from others of the same type.

The U.S. State dept. use to have everything listed on their web site as per country.  I like to make copies of the air lines firearms policy one with you one in the case.

Thanks! Do you store your ammo in a pelican type case in your suitcase or will a regular box do ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I will be flying from Nor Cal to L.A. on a private jet then to Switzerland  on Swiss air. then to Johanasburg on swiss air. And finaly a charter to Botswana.

Charter planes sometimes do not have room for a hard case. Check and see if you need a soft case as well. Firearms control last time for me in Joburg took 3 hours I was third from last in line. That was three years ago. Hope its improved. Do not look for your suitcase just find your guncase and haul ass to get in line. The guns use to come off seperate and not go on the carosel.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Charter planes sometimes do not have room for a hard case. Check and see if you need a soft case as well. Firearms control last time for me in Joburg took 3 hours I was third from last in line. That was three years ago. Hope its improved. Do not look for your suitcase just find your guncase and haul ass to get in line. The guns use to come off seperate and not go on the carosel.

Thanks for the info. We are spending the night in Joburg with the PH before chartering out the next day. I've heard it is a real shithole.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks! Do you store your ammo in a pelican type case in your suitcase or will a regular box do ?

I reload so my ammo is in a MTM box. The problem is they did not latch it closed and then dumped it into the suitcase. If you have factory ammo that box is fine. When I travel on safari its the pelican rifle case with two guns and my bino's and some clothes, bottom foam is out. i also use a pelican cube for a suitcase. Packing clothes into the heavy plastic resealable  airtight bags.

You will probly need all of the info handy as to who and where you are hunting. Name address phone numbers your return tickets and passport. This is the kind of things they ask for and lots of guy have it scattered around. I seen guys hand the passports and return tickets to the wives who haul ass and this is what takes so long.

The outfitter should tell you everything you need to have. There is also a service that you can hire to move it along. I cannot think of its name as I do not use it. I've been though Joberg 3x in the last 12 years its just gotten worse every time.

Swiss Air should be a good flight. Get your doctor to write you a Rx for something to knock your ass out so you wake up or are awke when you land. I have always arrived in the mornings so it gets you more on local time less jet lag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Been 12 years since I transited Jo berg with hardware.  Rules have changed now.  

But as a generalization you are allowed 5 kilos or about 11 pounds of ammunition by the airlines.  South Africa has restrictions on specific round count now I think, not sure. But you should be able to find plenty of info at accratereloading.com.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thanks for the info. We are spending the night in Joburg with the PH before chartering out the next day. I've heard it is a real shithole.

If this is your first trip to africa you will be surprised. If you work with or know any angry black folks that bitch about how bad they have it take lots of pictures for them. its a shame you are not driving up to Botswana from Joberg. Lots of crazy things to see. Keep a small digital camera in you shirt pocket and take lots of memory cards.

Who you hunting with and what animals are on you list? Sounds like this is a high roller safari. Tent camp of chalets?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Leave the shamagh and Koran at home, shave your unibrow and beard. Just kidding. Seriously, it was a joke.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 6:58:22 PM EDT
[#16]
welll this sounds like a big game hunting trip. and EXPENSIVE.. if so, wouldna the hunter/guide you are contracting with have all the little details about how to get your equipage into the jumpin off place?

and watch out for black mombas, cannibals guerillas, gorillas, and the nakid brigade....
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is your first trip to africa you will be surprised. If you work with or know any angry black folks that bitch about how bad they have it take lots of pictures for them. its a shame you are not driving up to Botswana from Joberg. Lots of crazy things to see. Keep a small digital camera in you shirt pocket and take lots of memory cards.

Who you hunting with and what animals are on you list? Sounds like this is a high roller safari. Tent camp of chalets?

I'm kind of tagging along, my buddy is going for elephant and leopard. There is limited plainesgame where we are going.So i'm going to take kudu, impala, duiker, steenbuck, warthog and zebra. And yes it will be a tent camp.He's been a couple of times it is my first trip.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So i'm going to take kudu, impala, duiker, steenbuck, warthog and zebra. And yes it will be a tent camp.He's been a couple of times it is my first trip.  

Your friend is getting you hooked on a very seriously addictive habit. Enjoy while you can! I really think time is running out for african safari hunting!!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
On behalf ot the hive mind, we demand pics of your weapons that are going.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top