Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 5:24:25 AM EDT
With the whole Zumbo thing recently unfolding we have seen first hand how the power of the internet can be used to take a stand and express opinion on single issues.  

How did the internet influence if at all the '94 AWB?  I'll admit that in '94 I was in college and only had a Ruger 10/22, a P93 pistol and a Remington 870.  The AWB didn't affect me.  At the time I couldn't imagine spending $$ on an AR or other expensive (to me at the time) rifle.

I remember the Internet being around but at the time not everyone had a computer in thier home or was "on line".

Does the recent Zumbo thing show our elected officials that they can expect a rath of gun owners to decend upon them in similar fashion if they choose to submit legislation against us gun owners?

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#1]
This is something I've been thinking a lot about myself. I was just out of college in 94, and unless you were a C-SPAN junkie or worked for a newspaper or something where there was an AP wire feed, all you heard about it was what was on CNN/the networks.

I'm hoping that this time, the Internet will mean that it will be easier to get the word out and easier to organize opposition to legislation.

Nonetheless, letters are far more effective than e-mails. I'm sure that Congressional offices have some sort of calculus that places less value on e-mails than on written correspondence.

And as an aside, Bhart89, Morgantown is still full of New Jersey kids. It's funny watching them try to drive up here, especially the ones whose parents bought them standard transmission vehicles. The only things funnier than their driving are the track suits, hair gel, gold chains, and backwards-ass baseball caps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#2]
In 1994 few people had computers in their homes.  Fewer still were "online".

There were many smaller towns that did not have any sort of web service.

That is all different now.  If Pelosi or Feinstein sneeze it will be all over the internet in seconds.  There won't be any laws voted on that we don't what is in them like there was with the '86 FOPA.

The net makes organizing against new antigun bills much more difficult.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I was still in high school at the time and the only thing I remember about it was new broadcasts.

I do remember Brokejaw holding a huuuuuge event where there was a "gun expert" and on a number of tables were AR15's in various configurations and a Mac-11 pistol.  

Brokejaw almost dropped the 37mm flare launcher equipped AR is all I remember I also remember seeing a clip from the news of a Cop with a full auto Uzi, short barrel and all, just firing semiauto and saying "Anyone can buy one of these"
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#4]
All I knew oif the AWB in '94 was that my 'american hunter' magazine was warning of it, gunshows were talking about it, and I bought an AR a few months before the ban went into effect.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:17:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Well...to tell you the truth...(and this is very sad)...I DID own guns in 1994, but I was not on the internet.
I actually didnt even KNOW about the AWB until it had already passed.

I shall never be so un-informed again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#6]

And as an aside, Bhart89, Morgantown is still full of New Jersey kids. It's funny watching them try to drive up here, especially the ones whose parents bought them standard transmission vehicles. The only things funnier than their driving are the track suits, hair gel, gold chains, and backwards-ass baseball caps.

I'm actually one of those Jersey boys who didn't know you could own an AR15 until I got out of NJ at age 18.  I never moved back...

Back to the topic...  Have there been any succesful state level bans that have passed even after the popularity of the interweb?  Was the Cali ban after '94?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Have there been any succesful state level bans that have passed even after the popularity of the interweb?  Was the Cali ban after '94?

I think there was a second round of the Kali ban that passed well after '94.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Things HAVE Changed.... this is ARF.
We OWN the web.
Didn't you get the memo?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The Internet is a powerful weapon that we can use to combat Liberal media.

Thank you DOD and Tim Berners Lee.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I was a sort-of C-SPAN junky during the congressional debates.  The lies and BS spread then would not be tolerated if the word could get out today.

I still remember testimony as to why the "pistol grip" was an "assualt" trait - supposeldy, it made it easier to "fire from the hip."

To date, I have yet to understand the logic -  as the grip angle makes it impossible.  A conventional stock is MUCH easier to "fire from the hip."

The only internet I was aware of at the time was the IRC - if the web existed, I had no clue how to access it.  I can't remember if the news-serves had started up by then or not.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Only supernerds had the internet in '94.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Only supernerds had the internet in '94.

It was not the internet of today, either.
Mailing lists were cutting edge back then.

Edit to add;

The politicians who are spearheading gun bans could care less about the internet sizzling over their efforts. You're not gonna get Nancy Pelosi fired like Mr. Zumbo was.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember in 1994 I had a 386DX PC with a 14.4Kbs modem, and I could access BBS and AOL. At the time, AOL was not unlimited use for $20 a month, though the BBS was free to access and post on. Things are VERY different now, and it is MUCH easier for information to be spread, the truth to get out, and for far more people to have access.

I knew very little of the ban at the time, I was still just barely in high school. *All I knew before 1999 was that I liked guns, and felt people should be allowed to own them.

*1999 was when I found this site, found out about SB23, bought an AR, and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow - I had forgotten about Prodogy and AOL in their early variants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top