BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Install gentoo with transgaming and get everything you already have.

Get security that makes MAC safety look like a crack hoe... install OpenBSD

"Defective by design" is going to deplete MicroSoft's userbase RSN. Especially when the alternatives are free or very low cost.  

Been hearing that for 10 years... still not happening.

Microsoft is going to subscription based licensing. They have also made some of the really nice things about their OS user hostile.

The simple fact of the matter is that you just can't do things like dupe a CD or even capture video without intentional design defects interfering with the process. (multi-media being a huge factor in adoption)

Then there's the fact that every game is about 10%-25% SLOWER with vista than XP. (I just spent about $1500 to make my box 10% faster. WTF would I want to spend $300 to make it run like a PC I had 5 years ago?)

Everyone with a modicum of understanding already dislikes vista simply for the basic assumption that the end user is a moron and a thief. (Aint those wizards helpful? Everybody just loved Bob and Clipy.)

Vista is WinMe on crack.

How many people do you know that bought WinMe? Did they run it for more than a few days?

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Defective by design" is going to deplete MicroSoft's userbase RSN. Especially when the alternatives are free or very low cost.  

Microsoft is going to subscription based licensing. They have also made some of the really nice things about their OS user hostile.

The simple fact of the matter is that you just can't do things like dupe a CD or even capture video without intentional design defects interfering with the process. (multi-media being a huge factor in adoption)

Then there's the fact that every game is about 10%-25% SLOWER with vista than XP. (I just spent about $1500 to make my box 10% faster. WTF would I want to spend $300 to make it run like a PC I had 5 years ago?)

Everyone with a modicum of understanding already dislikes vista simply for the basic assumption that the end user is a moron and a thief. (Aint those wizards helpful? Everybody just loved Bob and Clipy.)

Vista is WinMe on crack.

How many people do you know that bought WinMe? Did they run it for more than a few days?

Where the hell are you coming up with this stuff?  

Yes, CURRENT games run slower.  They weren't built to run on Vista.  Games programed for Vista, and especially DirectX10 will run much better.

As for your rant about purposefully neutering the multimedia and stuff...  I have been running Vista for a couple months.  No problems with any part of it.

ME was an abortion of an OS and saying Vista is the same is just...  incredible.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Get a Mac......

Cue the next PC vs Macintrash debate.

(yes, Vista does suck, but Macs are for faggots)

Yea but Apple owners have assured us the never shit in PC threads... but then they lie.

Well shit, what else are we supposed to do with all the time we save not having to fix our computers all the damn time?

I've had a Dell for at least 6 years, nothing has ever had to be fixed on it, and I use it every day and leave it running 24/7 and only turn it off when I need to reboot.
The only times the case has even been opened were to upgrade my graphics card, install more RAM, and add a slave HDD.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone explain to me why "Macs are for Fagots"?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well I just got a new toshiba Dual core laptop from office depot today, I really like this laptop except for Windows vista. What was microsoft thinking?

The same thing they are always thinking . . . DAMN! WE KEEP TRYING TO BE LIKE APPLE, BUT WE KEEP SCREWING UP!!

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I got XP installed and got to thinking vista is kinda fun so I am going to reinstall it along with an extra gig of laptop ram to see if it runs better.

We shall see.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Went looking at new desktop PCs last weekend.  I cannot believe how many I saw with Vista Home Basic with 512MB of RAM.

My old XP box (P4 1.4GHz, 512MB) seems lackluster.  If I threw Vista on here, it would feel like I was running a 386/DX 25MHz.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Can someone explain to me why "Macs are for Fagots"?

Because a lot of their users happen to be liberal art fag types.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sorry if your personal sexual identity is fragile enough to be swayed by your chosen brand of computer, but I am thankful that mine is not

Were it the case that it was, I'd be a bisexual prostitute though.  I support both platforms professionally.  

Mac users have a sexual identity… who da thunk it.

Why are you so insecure with your computer choices you feel a need to shit in this tread?

I'm sorry if you have shit in your tread, try scraping it out with a stick and watch where you step next time.

If you'll scan back a page however, you'll note that this didn't become a hostile posting environment until you popped an o-ring at the mere mention of a competing product, and responded with personal attacks slandering my (quite secure) sexuality.  Grow up.  

I'm sorry Microsoft's latest offering in the OS market sucks so hard and is embittering more of their userbase than ever before, but I had nothing to do with it.

The original post in this thread was a condemnation of a computer operating system.  I made mention of a product which seems to satisfy more of it's users than the product mentioned.  I fail to see how this has anything at all to do with who I like to sleep with.  

And frankly, if my computer choice DOES have something to do with my bedmates, you really SHOULD get a Mac, because my (female) fiancee is a slender, sleek, curvy hot blonde with a dirty mind and a far superior intellect to anything you have yet displayed in this thread.  

Wow this thread went crazy pretty fast I installed xp and am posting from my computer now, I have to say vista looks pretty and all that but until I have the money to throw another gig of ram in I am sticking to XP.

wow not a good move.   with most computer companies you have just VOIDED your warranty.   if you call tech support if they find out your running a different OS they won't help you.    those script readers won't know WHAT to do with xp on it  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Yes, CURRENT games run slower.  They weren't built to run on Vista.  Games programed for Vista, and especially DirectX10 will run much better.

I see, so sometime in the rosy future... everything is going to run wonderfully. Just as soon as those vista patches show up.

As for your rant about purposefully neutering the multimedia and stuff...  I have been running Vista for a couple months.  No problems with any part of it.

That's because you haven't done anything like try to install clone disk.
or use a korg interface.
or use an older printer.
or get HD output to a monitor that doesn't support HDMI.
or scan something without having weird little black specks show up in it.

ME was an abortion of an OS and saying Vista is the same is just...  incredible.

Vista is ten times worse than WinMe. Mainly because it's broken intentionally and there will never be a "fix"
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well I just got a new toshiba Dual core laptop from office depot today, I really like this laptop except for Windows vista. What was microsoft thinking? Almost everytime you try and do something it asks you to authorize it It also lags a ton and eats memory like no other. Looks like I am going to be installing Windows XP on this bad boy. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

My question is if I install XP on my computer will I still have the wireless utility and all that?
yes , had vista eat up boocoo memory was very disapointing,wiped my hard drive clean and loaded XP with explorer no:7 happy camper
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
vista was nothing more than a MS update because XP was 'getting old'

it is not better, it is not more efficient; it is a resource hog, & a waste of money

(vista beta tester here)

As a Vista beta through release version  I don't know what you are thinking.  Vista is great.  I use the Ultimate version.  The media features and networking are very nice.  DVD builder and ability to plug in just about everything and have it just work is fantastic.  I can play movies on my TV using media center.  

Vistais far and away better than XP when you take the time to learn about its features.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
MS was just trying to copy apples os, osx is awsome not a ms mess with security holes or should i say canyons.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:16:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Vista is not a subscription based license.

Bunk… I don’t know what you think you know but that is not true. I have had zero problems copying CDs or DVDs.

Most games play between 1-5% slower, some play faster, a few take a 10-30% slow down. Game play was slower in XP when it was released… until the video drivers matured; we have exactly the same situation with Vista when the drivers mature there will be virtually no difference... except DirectX 10 games when released will look and play better.

WTF does that mean?

Vista is WinMe on crack.
Shows you have never used Vista.

God it like having a flashback to 2001… we heard exactly the same stuff when XP was released.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I see, so sometime in the rosy future... everything is going to run wonderfully. Just as soon as those vista patches show up.

Got nothing to do with patches but drivers just like when XP was released.

or use a korg interface.
or use an older printer.

Where do you get this nonsense?

I have copied CDs and DVDs using Vista, DVDFab Decrypter works fine under Vista.

Unencrypted HD output to a monitor that doesn't support HDMI will play fine. To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray encrypted content the hardware and OS MUST support DRM this was a requirement of the content providers. Microsoft had to include DRM if it want the users of Vista to be able to play commercial protected HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content legally… Apple will have to do the same.

Vista is ten times worse than WinMe. Mainly because it's broken intentionally and there will never be a "fix"

Nonsense just nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't feel any need to upgrade from XP 64, that being said I intend to build my next system as a Linux box, I'm sick of having "black box" software running my computers.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I am thoroughly enjoying Vista.  Mind you, I am running it on a massive, top-of-the-line system as of the week I bought it, and Vista *does* need massive system resources.  But, what is considered massive today, in 6 months, will be what Wal-Mart system in a boxes come with.  What it needs is soon to be the standard, and it was not intended to be run on lacking machines.  he security features, the permissions, are useful and there for a purpose.  I intentionally run out of a non-administrator account, and the permissions have since stopped me from making foolish decisions, kudos.  The gee-wiz factor is high, and the graphics are great.  It is more accessible than was XP, and I like it.  I'm running two sytems now, one is this one, the "massive" one, and the other a six month old sytem, top of the line at it's time, with XP.  Guess which one I prefer to run?  Yep, Vista.  Stop griping.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well I just got a new toshiba Dual core laptop from office depot today, I really like this laptop except for Windows vista. What was microsoft thinking? Almost everytime you try and do something it asks you to authorize it It also lags a ton and eats memory like no other. Looks like I am going to be installing Windows XP on this bad boy. Anyone else in the same boat as me?

My question is if I install XP on my computer will I still have the wireless utility and all that?
yes , had vista eat up boocoo memory was very disapointing,wiped my hard drive clean and loaded XP with explorer no:7 happy camper

Vista is supposed to eat up memory thats what it's there for. Vista has new technology called super fetch that will use available memory to speed up the system. I've never understood why people worry about resource uasage so much. Sure if you have a bunch of spyware stealing resources you"ll want to get that taken care of but if you have legitimate applications running who cares how much memory they take up as long as they run well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Wow this thread went crazy pretty fast I installed xp and am posting from my computer now, I have to say vista looks pretty and all that but until I have the money to throw another gig of ram in I am sticking to XP.

Justinwb one thing you need to understand about Vista is that for the first couple of days it will run a little slower as it does the initial drive indexing and before Superfetch get used to your habits. But after the initial drive indexing is done and after Superfetch learns which apps you run most the system will actually feel quicker than XP.

The extra gig of ram will allow Superfetch to better optimize its caching.

And when you do do a clean Vista install you will not have all the crap Dell puts on new machines that slows them down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

wow not a good move.   with most computer companies you have just VOIDED your warranty.   if you call tech support if they find out your running a different OS they won't help you.    those script readers won't know WHAT to do with xp on it  

With Dell he hasn’t voided his warranty; he has voided any software support he might have gotten. If the hardware breaks he is still covered.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah, drivers... I'm sure that some DX10 driver tweaking will get back that extra 25% framerate that you lose when you "upgrade"

or use a korg interface.
or use an older printer.

I support this stuff for a living... Everything mentioned above are "issues" experienced by our very small group of early adopters.

I have copied CDs and DVDs using Vista, DVDFab Decrypter works fine under Vista.

How about DVD shrink, DVD decrypter and RipIT4Me? Umm yeah.
How about anything that plugged into previous versions of NERO API? Umm yeah.

Unencrypted HD output to a monitor that doesn't support HDMI will play fine.

Right. In a "degraded" Non-HD format output.
Seen any MPEG capture apps that ignore broadcast flags?

No doubt more "nonsense"

To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray encrypted content the hardware and OS MUST support DRM this was a requirement of the content providers. Microsoft had to include DRM if it want the users of Vista to be able to play commercial protected HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content legally… Apple will have to do the same.

I know of at least three media player apps for linux that don't give a shit about HDMI or "High definition audio" Legal schmeegal. If I paid for it, I should be able to output it to any format I care to.

Fair use is something I care about.

Nonsense just nonsense.

Make more tard smilies... Maybe that will make the crap you are posting more credible.

<ETA>
Warning: Long read at link

blackhole.xerces.com/showthread.php?p=64706
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With Dell he hasn’t voided his warranty; he has voided any software support he might have gotten. If the hardware breaks he is still covered.

i doubt it.   if the computer was built with vista.  their scripts will be written for vista only i would imagine,   he might get lucky  
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:27:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Vista is WinMe on crack.

We had WinME for like 3-4years.  No problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, drivers... I'm sure that some DX10 driver tweaking will get back that extra 25% framerate that you lose when you "upgrade"

or use a korg interface.
or use an older printer.

I support this stuff for a living... Everything mentioned above are "issues" experienced by our very small group of early adopters.

How about DVD shrink, DVD decrypter and RipIT4Me? Umm yeah.
How about anything that plugged into previous versions of NERO API? Umm yeah.

Unencrypted HD output to a monitor that doesn't support HDMI will play fine.

Right. In a "degraded" Non-HD format output.
Seen any MPEG capture apps that ignore broadcast flags?

No doubt more "nonsense"

To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray encrypted content the hardware and OS MUST support DRM this was a requirement of the content providers. Microsoft had to include DRM if it want the users of Vista to be able to play commercial protected HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content legally… Apple will have to do the same.

I know of at least three media player apps for linux that don't give a shit about HDMI or "High definition audio" Legal schmeegal. If I paid for it, I should be able to output it to any format I care to.

Fair use is something I care about.

Nonsense just nonsense.

Make more tard smilies... Maybe that will make the crap you are posting more credible.

<ETA>
Warning: Long read at link

blackhole.xerces.com/showthread.php?p=64706

Yes where do you get this nonsense.

Here are real actual beach marks. Please show us the 25% frame rate loss across the board. Here are part of their conclusions which agree with mine not yours:

www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2096940,00.asp

If we learned anything here today, it's that neither graphics company has really great Vista drivers yet. In all honesty, we can't expect games to run as fast under Vista as they do under Windows XP—at least not current titles running on DirectX 9–class hardware. Vista demands more of the video hardware, asking it to be a shared resource between the OS and the game, and demanding more advanced and complicated memory management in the graphics driver. There's an amount of performance loss we can live with to get all the other good things in Vista, and then there's what we see here.

It's not unreasonable to expect graphics drivers to get to a point where the worst-case scenario is a performance loss between 5% and 10%,with the vast majority of games running no more than 5% slower and a few even running just as fast or faster.  What we have witnessed here gives us great hope for that scenario, as we already see some games running just a touch faster in Vista in the right circumstances.
<Snip>

If you're a gamer, there may be some good reasons to upgrade to Vista, but better performance is not one of them—and it may never be. Clearly, we're witnessing the same sorts of teething problems we saw when Windows XP was released. We'd like to remind readers that, upon XP's release, many games ran much slower or demonstrated terrible graphics bugs. Eventually, those were ironed out and performance improved until WinXP was just as fast or faster, and more stable, too. We expect the same thing of Vista, and that day can't come soon enough. Perhaps both ATI and Nvidia might want to consider accelerated driver releases, even two or three times a month, as they work hard to improve performance, stability, and features in Vista over the next few months.

I don’t know about RipIT4Me don’t use it but DVD Shrink runs fine as does the latest version of Nero 7. As for DVD Decrypter it is old and unsupported and will not decrypt many newer DVD that is why I switched to DVDFab Decrypter last summer. So you are once again wrong.

Again you are wrong unencrypted HD content plays back at full nothing degraded about it… the ONLY time content is degraded is if the CONTENT PROVIDER requires it to be degraded… period.

Haven’t seen any broadcast flags yet have you?

YOU MAY NOT LEGALLY PLAY ENCRYPTED HD CONTENT WITHOUT COMPLIANT HARDWARE, OS, AND PLAYBACK SOFTWARE. Microsoft had a choice allow it customers the opportunity to legally play contend or not. It is kinda a moot point as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray encryption have already been cracked.

Here is a story on Vista, DRM though it relates to TV/monitors it  points out why MS had little choice about including DRM. From the story:

Marcus Matthias, product manager of Windows Digital Media at Microsoft, informed me that Microsoft is committed to Windows offering all the benefits of consumer electronics devices, and this means fully supporting the specifications in play in the consumer electronics arena.

"Any device—whether it be a PC or consumer electronic device—will need to ensure compliance with the specified policies otherwise they risk being unable to access the next-gen DVD content. Clearly we think that offering next-gen DVD content on the PC is much preferable to having the PC excluded from accessing this premium content," he said.

Indeed, Microsoft doesn't really have a choice, and neither does Apple. In fact, if you've been following this game, you'd know that the only reason we're not already stuck in this quagmire is because PC DVD players were grandfathered in, and are exempt from upsampling rules.

So yes, Microsoft is a bit ahead of the curve on this, but that's partially because of their (very long) development cycle—we are talking about an OS that's at least 14 months away (my guess). And while PVP-OPM (Protected Video Path-Output Protection Management)—which provides a secure path from applications to HDCP output (techdoc in Word)—isn't entirely finalized, the general framework is a certainty.

arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/hdcp-vista.ars

Here are some facts on how DRM in Vista works from MS
windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/archive/2007/01/20/windows-vista-content-protection-twenty-questions-and-answers.aspx  

Once again you may believe what you say but most of it is not true.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:10:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quote MicroSoft propaganda at me all day long guy.

anyone interested enough in this conversation can do this.

Fact is, people spend $600 on a new video card so they can get the best framerate possible. Hell, people spend $1200 to run crossfire or SLI.

Nitpick about which game takes a 10% hit or a 25% hit... don't care.

The basic truth of the matter is that vista is way slower than XP.

DRM... well I guess that some people have no problem with spyware/crippleware when it has the MicroSoft Seal on it.

<ETA>
Link Again
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quote MicroSoft propaganda at me all day long guy.

anyone interested enough in this conversation can do this.

Fact is, people spend $600 on a new video card so they can get the best framerate possible. Hell, people spend $1200 to run crossfire or SLI.

Nitpick about which game takes a 10% hit or a 25% hit... don't care.

The basic truth of the matter is that vista is way slower than XP.

DRM... well I guess that some people have no problem with spyware/crippleware when it has the MicroSoft Seal on it.

<ETA>
Link Again

There is a lot more there than "Microsoft propaganda" Extreme Tech and Arstechnica.com are well respect independent sources of information.

Your 25% claims were show to be incorrect that is not nitpicking… hell even the link you provided on frame rate comparison when you wade through it shows you to have been incorrect.

It is pretty clear you have a set of preconceived notions and no amount of factual evidence will shake you… so there is no point in this.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

And when you do do a clean Vista install you will not have all the crap Dell puts on new machines that slows them down.

Dells come with almost 70 running processes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

or use a korg interface.
or use an older printer.

Unencrypted HD output to a monitor that doesn't support HDMI will play fine. To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray encrypted content the hardware and OS MUST support DRM this was a requirement of the content providers. Microsoft had to include DRM if it want the users of Vista to be able to play commercial protected HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content legally… Apple will have to do the same.

Nonsense just nonsense.

+10,000
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top