Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/23/2007 1:52:16 PM EDT
I'm probably going to take the plunge and buy a house sooner than I'd thought, so it's time to pick a dog.

We have 2 small kids, a 10 month old boy and a 2 year old little girl.

We'll have a nice sized yard with either a fence or an invisible dog fence. I don't want a small "cute" dog, I want a dog, as in full size. Ideally, I'd like a dog that's a good watchdog, but still a good family dog.

Right now, we're thinking along the lines of a German Wirehaired Pointer. Man, they look cool!

Tell me about your dog, and why or why not to get one.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 2 Cocker Spaniels, But they will only bark someone to death. I would go for a German Shepard or a Golden or black retriever as they are good with kids and protective.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Rotties.
Bad Guys are scared to death of them, yet they are gentle, if clumsy with all of the family.
Smart, large, loyal, I recommend them highly.
Get a female, she will guard your kids like her own pups.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Golden

-JTP
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Ive had rotties and GSDs. Both make great pets.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Boarder collie,
Will this be your first dog?
Be sure to look into the bread first,
some dogs are more challenging to
train than others.For a first dog,
a black Lab would be great with
kids fairly easy to train and will
let you know when to get the EBR.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm currently without a "best friend" but my next buddy will probably be an Australian Shepard.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Boarder collie,
Will this be your first dog?

I've had dogs all my life growing up, but haven't been able to own one since I got married because of the complex I live in - no dogs allowed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had springer spaniels... dobermans... goldens and labs.. chocolates and now a black... loved every one of them... they were all great companions... I think if you get it as a pup, treat it right and train it.. you can't go wrong with whatever you choose..... but as always YMMV..

treat 'em right and they'll do the same...

my $0.02
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#9]
i've got 2 labs, best dogs i've ever owned.. older black lab is 2 years old, and the calmest and most loyal dog i've ever been around, we got him as a stray, he had been abused as a puppy, top of his head had scars all over it, but he couldnt be a sweeter dog, GREAT around kids.. my newest addition to the family is my chochlate lab we got 4 weeks ago, incredibly inteligent, has learned all the basic commands.. and is a monster, 13 weeks and 40 pounds.  Took him to the vet yesterday, vet thinks he's got mastiff down his bloodlines and will end up being 130-140 pounds, MONSTER!! i would go w/lab or retriever, i've owned and both and couldnt be happier!
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/randomhero472/DSC00268.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/randomhero472/duke009.jpg
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:16:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on what you want the dog for. I have a black lab and labs are great with kids. My lab is also one of the best bird dogs I have ever hunted with.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Whatever kind you get, make sure it can dodge bullets.  Cops HATE dogs
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:20:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If you choose a large or giant breed, you also have to be prepared to roll the dice on temperment, not all dogs are OK with kids...I got lucky.  The big boy here doesnt like other dogs, and especially not other people.  HIS people are ok.  Everyone else.....stay in your car.

DOW, also don't rush into a dog after moving.  get to know the neghbors. Get to know your house.  You know, "settling in" is enough of a chore, besides discovering little presents in parts of your home you didn't know existed.  Wait maybe 6 mos first.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]
www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

Boxers are good with kids and will protect your property.  Our Boxer died of a stroke when she was 12. We also had a German Sheppard cross along with the Boxer that raised my daughter until she was 7 years old.  Both protected her, the Sheppard protected EVERYTHING in the yard.

We now have a Pit Bull, and a Blue Heeler.  The Bull Dog lays in a lawn chair on my front porch and will not even get out of the chair when a strange vehicle pulls up.  The Blue Heeler barks a few times then wags her tail.  Neither is any kind of a guard dog.

The only Guard Dog we have is a 2.9 pound Chihuahua, he lives in the house, he does bark, and does bite, but who cares he's only 3 lbs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Boxer.

Just do it.

I've had other breeds and mutts, but boxers are the most fun.  They look tough and will alert you when someone is at your door etc.  Great with family and kids and I have heard they act like puppies most of their lives.  Mine is 2 years old and so far it holds true.  He's goofy as hell and makes me laugh all the time.

I've posted these pics before.  Here they are...

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
We've had/have 2 cocker spaniels, 2 golden retrievers, a black lab and a Burnese mountain dog.  I really like Golden's because they are very mild mannered  and do well around children as well as other people.  They are also make for very loyal pets.  I wish I could have found a better picture of our last Golden Katie.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Old English Mastiffs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_Mastiff

They are outstanding family dogs
-extremely loyal
-kid friendly
-will make anyone think twice about breaking into your house

These are our two English Mastiff puppies, Gunner and Piper. In these pics they are four weeks old. We will be able to pick them up in a few more weeks. They are very big dogs so they are prone to short lives and potential hip problems

The bottom pic is the mother. She weighs in at about 170lbs. The dad is 190.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I had a black lab, he got out of his pin and got ran over.

I've always had black labs, they are goofy as pups. But wise loyal friends with they reach adulthood.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a whippet: This is him at 8 weeks.

We have been very happy with Taz.

Pros: Short hair, great with children, always happy to see you, smart, good disposition, not a whimpy dog, fun outside, calm inside, welcomes other children when they visit, easy to house break.

Cons: Will chase, catch and kill any small animal that runs away (chipmonks, squirels, cats, etc), not a good guard dog, can easily jump a 4' chain link fence.

There are many survey's you can take to find a good breed of dog.

Just google "best dog for me" or "dog breeds for children", etc.

I wanted a german short haired pointer, but most of what we read said they could be bad with kids.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Golden Retriever, without hesitation.  My family has had two goldens and they have been the best dogs we have ever known.  Our first one died a few years ago of a heart tumor.  She was great.  My mom did daycare and the brats could be very mean, but she would just lie there and take it until someone came to save her from the brats.  Not many animals are that mild mannered.  She could hold her own as a guard dog too, nobody messed with her family.

ETA: Our current dog is also a golden.  His name is Midas.  He is the biggest wimp that I have ever met.  He's not as good of a guard dog
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
What ever you get , make sure its bulletproof you encounter the police.

Is that the blackhawk tactical dog harness/load bearing system on your pooch?

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#21]
A white Pekingese. I bought her for my wife, but I've become very attached to her.
I thought she was going to be a hyper little yip yip dog (I hate that), but she rarely
bargs and she only messed on the floor twice as a pup. She house trained faster than
any dog I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Seeing that you have 2 small children, a Border Collie pup is not suggested. For the first year, sometimes two, they can be overly hyper and required a lot of work. They live to work, and your kids become something to herd. Their instinct is to nip sometimes to get the job done. Young BC's are almost tireless! They also try to be alphas, and you'll need to make sure you're top dog in your house.(and your other family members too!)

That being said, I love our BC. We had her for a little over 10 years now. When we first brought her home, my 2 oldest kiddos were 6 and 8, and my littlest one was an itch. It took 2 twelve week training periods to settle her down, and lots of exercise every day. I would hit tennis balls down the street for 45 minutes twice a day for her to fetch. If I didn't, I'd get a wet tennis ball in my lap all night.

She's well trained, loves the little one, and goes leashless and never wanders. Tho' she's slowing down, we still need to exercise her every night to use some of the energy stored while we are at work.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:40:08 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I'm probably going to take the plunge and buy a house sooner than I'd thought, so it's time to pick a dog.

We'll have a nice sized yard with either a fence or an invisible dog fence. I don't want a small "cute" dog, I want a dog, as in full size. Ideally, I'd like a dog that's a good watchdog, but still a good family dog.

Right now, we're thinking along the lines of a German Wirehaired Pointer. Man, they look cool!
www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2003/__data/page/3767/372003_RT_White_haired02.jpgwww.k9host.co.uk/grafix/Breeds/GWP.jpg

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw these dogs.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Here is my Boston terrier about 8 months ago. They are really smart,loyal dogs.
I recommend one if you're looking for a rather small dog.
They grow to weigh under 30 pounds and are a great house dog.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but does anybody know anything about the  Blue Lacy breed.  It is the state dog of texas and seems like they are very smart and loyal.  Does anyone know anything about this breed and where there are any breeders outside of the great state of Texas.

Jon
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:47:03 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are considering a "protection breed", I highly recommend you get a female unless:

you are prepared to put in the extra time and effort into maintaining/establishing dominance

you already have children (if that is in the cards for you)

Male dogs are by and large the most powerful and effective protectors, but they are a lot more work. A female dog will still give everything to protect, but is usually a more loving pet, whereas the male is a companion. The caveat to this is that dogs are individuals with unique and differing personalities, but this is a good rule of thumb.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Whatever you get, make sure thye ears aren't super glued on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#28]
The Border Collie, Aussie Shepard, and Blue Heeler, the working dogs require a lot of work. They are bred to work and will heard kids and adults. My Aussie Shepard tries to herd me still. Great dog but requires alot of work and attention and might not be best for kids when young. I vote for a Goldie or a Lab. I had a Lab that was a great dog and my best pal has two Goldies that are great.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#29]
It really does depend on what you want and how much time you want to put into one. If you are looking for one just to have dog and dont want to a ton of time (you HAVE TO invest some time ni ANY dog) then I reccomend the lab or even a golden. Best all around family dogs you could ask for.

If your gonna do alot of stuff with them and are willing to invest time in them I personally think Aussie Cattle Dogs (blue heeler/red heeler) are where its at. They are near indestructable, fearless, protective but still friendly, immensely intelligent (only more intelligent breed I know if is a BC), hard working (and by that I mean they WANT to do things for you), very loyal and will stay at your foot at almost any time.

That being said they are needy in the attention department. Dont buy one if your just gonna toss it in the backyard. They have a STRONG pack instinct and they'll go apeshit. They also have a "heeling" instinct you have to curb, but you'll see that in alot of working dogs.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:59:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Border Collie, Aussie Shepard, and Blue Heeler, the working dogs require a lot of work. They are bred to work and will heard kids and adults. My Aussie Shepard tries to herd me still. Great dog but requires alot of work and attention and might not be best for kids when young. I vote for a Goldie or a Lab. I had a Lab that was a great dog and my best pal has two Goldies that are great.
Good luck.

LOL  My ex gf had two cats. I had my ACD trained to herd them back into the house when we let them out on the lawn.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Get a Black Lab or German Shephard.

HH
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
What ever you get , make sure its bulletproof you encounter the police.

Is that the blackhawk tactical dog harness/load bearing system on your pooch?

Sure.  You can load a lot of ammo on him .

It's just a regular harness.  It worked fine when he was a puppy, but he got strong enough to drag my wife all over the place by the time he was 5-6 months old so we went to a regular collar.  

ETA:  In fact, I still have that harness around here somewhere.  Maybe I can put it up on the EE and call it a "Blackhawk Tactical Dog Harness", add a huge mark up, and make a fortune!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Boxer.

Just do it.

I've had other breeds and mutts, but boxers are the most fun.  They look tough and will alert you when someone is at your door etc.  Great with family and kids and I have heard they act like puppies most of their lives.  Mine is 2 years old and so far it holds true.  He's goofy as hell and makes me laugh all the time.

I've posted these pics before.  Here they are...
i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/njmoore/IMG_0014.jpg

i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/njmoore/Rocky1111.jpg

i72.photobucket.com/albums/i163/njmoore/rockyhorns2.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#34]
+1 on the Boxers...  

Mine are GREAT dogs!!!!  

(click on the pic for it to get bigger)
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#35]
That picture reminds me...

If you get a Boxer make sure you have couch/chair room available.  They will lay on you if there is no other spot...and they're heavy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#36]
We have a 80 lbs boxer mix and he is the biggest baby.  I lov ehim but he won't go downstairs to check out a noise until I go first.  Although he will get between me and those pesky marketers that come to the door.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#37]
See the avater.  My 2nd English Springer Spaniel.  They are real characters. Pretty good do-it-all dog.  Loyal, watchful, protective but friendly. Active but willing to just sit with you if that's what you're doing. They do shed ... otherwise, for my money, they'd be perfect.  Gotta work 'em though;  some physical activity for at least 20 minutes a day.  Don't do that, and they'll give themselves a job. Chewing, digging, ... you get the idea.  Good luck.  IF I didn't have a Springer, I'd want a Gordon Setter. Check it out.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Chocolate Lab!!!

Hands down!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#40]
we have three dogs, my baby is satan , he is black lab , rottweiler and pitbull mix , we rescued him from neglcted home @ 7 wks old  very smart well behved around family and kids also very protective. we also have a male pure bred jack russel good dog big chip on his shoulder and was hard to housebreak. last summer my wife decided we need another dog this time a female pure bred german shepard she is huge and still growing, also a very intelligent dog very well behaved but very intimidating. needless to say nobody comes near our house without us knowing well in advance . our next dog will be a full bred rottweiller.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#41]
the best dog is free.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 7:33:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Bloodhound.

Great with kids, non-territorial.

DROOL EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Another vote for GSD's...they really are the best dogs. Find a good one from a reputable breeder and call it a day. You won't regret it.
And of course the gratuitous pics...
Jake, RIP Pal

Haley

Max, The new one

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:09:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Let me suggest the Shiloh Shepherd

A perfect German Shepherd times two. Great with kids. Mine will let babies lead him around by the collar.

At the same time, they are really fierce protectors of the family. Tremendously intelligent -- mine will learn anything in three lessons or less. Also tremendously devoted to the family. They consider it their 24/7/365 duty to watch over you. Also tremendously obedient. Mine will respond to single finger commands.

Mine required no training. He did all the basic commands by either hand or verbal signals at three months old with no training. If I do something the same way three times, he has it down, whether I was trying to train him or not.

They have very tight restrictions on breeding so Shilohs tend to live much longer (about 15 years) than other big dogs. One of the major problems with larger dogs is health issues. Dogs like Great Danes, Saint Bernards, and lots of regular German Shepherds will go down before age 10 with hip or other health problems. The first thing on your list of requirements ought to be good health. Doggie health problems can get expensive, and tragic, quickly

Male Shilohs range from 120-160 pounds. Mine in the picture above is close to 170 now. Females range from 100-140. As far as impressive dogs go, none beats the Shiloh. These dogs draw a crowd. There are other big, beautiful dogs but the crowds will leave any other big breed to get a look at a Shiloh.

You can find more information about mine at Chopper's Page

Second on my list of choices for a family dog might be a Black Russian Terrier. They are also an interesting breed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:13:23 PM EDT
[#45]
2 White German Shepherds
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#46]
i have an alaskan malamute and a siberian husky,  i have allways had norther breeds and love them,  

the really have a cool personality, they will come up to you say hello, then go off and do there own thing, the malamute is much more affectionate.

one of the things that i like about these type of dogs is that they intimadate the rif raf becasue they look like wolves but in reality love everybody they meet

also if you are athletic and like running and hiking, you not going to be able to where them out

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I have Rotties.
Bad Guys are scared to death of them, yet they are gentle, if clumsy with all of the family.
Smart, large, loyal, I recommend them highly.
Get a female, she will guard your kids like her own pups.

+1 Arfcom Rottie club checking in.

Extremely loyal, LOVES kids, scares the neighbors, (well, not the neighbors kids, the LOVE HER! )

Best dog you can get.

Mine is a rescue and is the BEST dog I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Obligatory.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:37:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2003/__data/page/3767/372003_RT_White_haired02.jpgwww.k9host.co.uk/grafix/Breeds/GWP.jpg

We seem to fall in the same category.  I went with a working line GSD.  I think working line GSDs are the best all-around dogs.  They are great with kids and will velcro to you.

Breed aside, I highly suggest you adopt the dog from a reputable breeder.  Adopting from a shelter might sound quixotic and adopting from a pet store may be inexpensive, but keep in mind that you will live with this dog for 10+ years.  The genetic factor holds a big part of the dogs health, intelligence, and temperament.  Do you want to live with an untrainable dog?  A dog that will shit all over the place?  A dog with fear of humans (very dangerous to kids as they turn into fear-biters)?  A dog that will cost you thousands in medical expenses?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:50:21 PM EDT
[#50]
German Shepard...get a good one with strong german bloodlines.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top