Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:53:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm probably going to take the plunge and buy a house sooner than I'd thought, so it's time to pick a dog.

We have 2 small kids, a 10 month old boy and a 2 year old little girl.

We'll have a nice sized yard with either a fence or an invisible dog fence. I don't want a small "cute" dog, I want a dog, as in full size. Ideally, I'd like a dog that's a good watchdog, but still a good family dog.

Right now, we're thinking along the lines of a German Wirehaired Pointer. Man, they look cool!
www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2003/__data/page/3767/372003_RT_White_haired02.jpgwww.k9host.co.uk/grafix/Breeds/GWP.jpg

Tell me about your dog, and why or why not to get one.

My current dog is 1/2 Scottish Terrier and 1/2 Queensland Blue Heeler (an Australian Cattle Dog).

He is a very tough dog able to withstand all kinds of weather. That's the Blue Heeler in him.

He is mostly just a Watch Dog, and won't let strangers come near him. He will ATTACK if he is either cornered or one of my family members is being threatend/attacked.
(Scottish Terrier Influence).

He has very strong herding instincts and is unusually SMART. (Blue Heeler). He has the NASTY habit of attempting to Castrate Male Human Attackers. (not sure where he picked this trait up).

If he gets hit, he just keeps coming back for more.

He is small enough to easily take care of. And he is 80% Watch Dog, 20% Guard Dog.

I've had Border Collies and Jack Russells. This Hybrid that I've got is SMARTER.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Pound for pound Nothin Meaner than a Daschund
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 9:56:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Bowie, our Siberian, rocks!

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had 11 pure bred dogs over the years and a few mix breeds.

As of now I own 2 basset hounds,1 Red dobe and a aussie.All dogs are kept in the house.

Bassets are'nt much for protection, aussie is alot of work (always herding something) and the Red Dobe is just great.Best dog I ever owned period.

Whatever you decide on, I would get a female.If you get a pure bred, buy it from a reputable breeder and make sure you get the papers up front.Pet shops in my experience are a gamble.

Make sure you do research on the breed you are getting so there are no surprises.

This aussie dog we got is a handful and very energetic, overly energetic.She's only 7 months old so, maybe she'll listen better as she gets older.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Vizsla her name is Sicily

here is a pic of one although not mine she looks exactly the same:

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Dachshunds for the win!

Seriously consider getting a dachshund, they are the best in my opinion, they are very loyal to their owners. Super loving, and in my experience good around children. They need to be where you are always following you around. I have  a full size fatty, and  mini. They both sleep all night in the bed with us, never waking up.

eta: they are territorial, and will defend you with all the fight in them if they are threatened. Makes for fun chasing Odin around with a frozen chicken. He freeks out.

We also have a Jack Russel Terrorist, but she isn't the smartest. She is a sweetie though.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dachshunds for the win!

Seriously consider getting a dachshund, they are the best in my opinion, they are very loyal to their owners. Super loving, and in my experience good around children. They need to be where you are always following you around. I have  a full size fatty, and  mini. They both sleep all night in the bed with us, never waking up.

eta: they are territorial, and will defend you with all the fight in them if they are threatened. Makes for fun chasing Odin around with a frozen chicken. He freeks out.

We also have a Jack Russel Terrorist, but she isn't the smartest. She is a sweetie though.

jessjunk.com/arfcom/dogs.jpg

They'd give their little life for ya.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

webpages.charter.net/ph119/Bowie%203.jpg

webpages.charter.net/ph119/Bowie%202.jpg

Dude, your dog is really freakin' me out...just sayin'
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:26:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
Excellent with kids, loyal, smart, good swimmers, fun, medium build and just a great all around companion and part of the family.

Hanging in the snow

Hanging at the lake

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
if you are a bird hunter i would recommend a wire haired pointing griffon over a german wirehair pointer. GWP are not known as the best with kids. they are awesome hunters and very protective though. my choice for best dogs ive ever owned are german shorthair pointers they are as lovable and good with kids as a lab(which i have owned) the best bird dogs ive ever seen.and more loyal than any dog ive owned. they will bark at any body that knocks on the door or comes in the yard.
this is my pup ronan

and my 4 year old wonderdog smoke
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:50:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Just picked up a Akita mix that needed someone to take  or else.

So on 2 23 we are now dog owners.

Already learned which corners to pee and poop in if she needs to she needs to go, going to start barking at the door next.

She is great with the kids. calm peacful and yet curious and attentive. She scopes things out then starts to explore rooms with care.

1st picture

That thing again? It's bright!

Hi, I'm your friend and what to shake your hand.

Three kids, she will not run our of playmates or attention.

I have my work cut out to train the kids how to train the dog.

ETA:
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't think you're looking towards what I have but I'm replying just in case someone else has a question concerning them.  I have 3 Chihuahuas.  
There nice dogs, very territorial and good watch dogs.  They let you know if anything is moving in the neighborhood.  However they are not good around
small children as they can be easily injured.  

Here's a few pics.  

I had just washed and dried my jacket and now they're laying
on it because it's warm from being in the dryer.  Bad trick; never put a Chihauhua in a warm basket of clothes.  Every time now that we do laundry they
wait for the basket of warm clothes to be put on the bet and they dive in it.  Then we have to wait about 20 mins to fold them.

That's our clothes and they're snuggled up in them.  4xDawn: Stop looking at my underwear!

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:52:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Another German Sheperd vote.  I've had several, most from rescues.  They are all around dogs.  These are the two I have right now.  Loki, he's ahh..... kinda GSD.  And Wren, I just got her from a rescue.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm liking that Shiloh Shepherd!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BOWIE! Great mane for that dog. I wonder how many here get it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:22:23 AM EDT
[#16]
if you have the time to work w/ them i highly recommend a female border collie.  we have had border collies since our kids were toddlers.  the bcs were like bodyguards for my kids when they were little.  noone could get near them w/o going through her first.  they do have a tremendous amt. of energy but that was a good thing since our kids did too and they played together for hours and hours.  i could leave the kids in the yard for hours w/o any fear whatsoever since i knew that they were being "watched" and protected completely.
border colies are the most intelligent of dogs and, in effect, think of themselves as human.  they live to please their masters.  prpoerly trained, they can be the best bodyguards available.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#17]
This is Pancho. He's a Australian Blue Heeler/ Husky mix.... I got him from the pound! He follows me everywhere I go, on the trapline and even to work! I've always had Heeler's, they are very smart dogs. Pancho doesn't really bark and he minds very well. I'm happy to have him around!

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#18]
GSD
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm liking that Shiloh Shepherd!!!!!!

Here is one more for you then:

As family dogs go, they are about as perfect as they come. All the good traits of a German Shepherd (note all the votes for GSDs), with better health, a softer temperament for kids, and twice the size.

They still retain the protective response of the GSD and are SCARY when they think someone is a threat. If an angry GSD would make you take a step back, think about how you would react to one the size of a small bear.

Another interesting thing about mine -- his fur is iridescent and changes color in the sunlight as he moves. You can see a little bit of it in this picture. Note the difference in color between his face and his back. They are both the same color black but the fur refracts the light when the sun hits it right.  

He also does one thing that is the handiest little trick a dog can do. He comes to my side and pays attention immediately whenever I snap my fingers. That's all it takes -- one simple snap. I don't have to call him or even get his attention. One snap and he is there, even if he was at the other end of the yard. If I am going in or out of a door and I want him with me I just snap and he is there with me. If he is outside barking and I want him to stop and come in and lay down, I just snap my fingers and point to the floor. He lays down wherever I point, even if I am not looking at him.

Even better -- he learned that the first time I tried it. No training at all required. Very few dogs have their level of intelligence along with such an extreme drive to cooperate.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:48:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Alright, so where did you get him?   And if you don't mind, how much am I looking at spending?     I had always wanted one those Timber Shepards, and I found one
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Alright, so where did you get him?   And if you don't mind, how much am I looking at spending?     I had always wanted one those Timber Shepards, and I found one

I got him from Majestic Knights Shilohs in Texas. Prices are typically about $1,000 for pet grade, $2,000 for breeding grade, and $3,000 and up for show grade. The difference in the grades is cosmetic. For example, mine is not show grade because he has a floppy ear. He is perfect in every other way so the ear is of no concern to me.

You can find out more information about him, and a link to his breeder at Chopper's Page

If you are thinking about buying a big dog, then don't be afraid to spend extra to make sure that you get a dog from a healthy line. The parents hip ratings should be available, at a minimum. With Shilohs you will usually be able to get an incredible level of detail about the health history of their ancestors. Hip certifications are required before they can be bred. That was one of the major reasons I chose a Shiloh -- very tight restrictions on breeding.

The biggest GSD I have ever found mentioned anywhere was 195 pounds. Chopper is about 170.

These are really impressive dogs. The most common reaction when people see them is something along the lines of "Holy shit!" If you want a chick magnet -- sell your Porsche and get one of these dogs. As one local store manager told me, "You could sell tickets to see that dog."

If you bought one you wouldn't be the first here to do so. There are a number of other people here who got one after seeing pictures of Chopper. They all report the same general picture -- big, beautiful, very intelligent, great temperament, and very easy to train.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got him from Majestic Knights Shilohs in Texas. Prices are typically about $1,000 for pet grade, $2,000 for breeding grade, and $3,000 and up for show grade. The difference in the grades is cosmetic. For example, mine is not show grade because he has a floppy ear. He is perfect in every other way so the ear is of no concern to me.

You can find out more information about him, and a link to his breeder at Chopper's Page

If you are thinking about buying a big dog, then don't be afraid to spend extra to make sure that you get a dog from a healthy line. The parents hip ratings should be available, at a minimum. With Shilohs you will usually be able to get an incredible level of detail about the health history of their ancestors. Hip certifications are required before they can be bred. That was one of the major reasons I chose a Shiloh -- very tight restrictions on breeding.

The biggest GSD I have ever found mentioned anywhere was 195 pounds. Chopper is about 170.

These are really impressive dogs. The most common reaction when people see them is something along the lines of "Holy shit!" If you want a chick magnet -- sell your Porsche and get one of these dogs. As one local store manager told me, "You could sell tickets to see that dog."

If you bought one you wouldn't be the first here to do so. There are a number of other people here who got one after seeing pictures of Chopper. They all report the same general picture -- big, beautiful, very intelligent, great temperament, and very easy to train.

Thanks!!  I  think I know what kind of dog I'll get next
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:52:58 AM EDT
[#24]
I've had many over the years, but the best, by far, is my current dog.  He's an eight year old Lab.  A serious word of warning...many homeowner insurance carriers will not provide coverage for certain dogs, i.e. GSD. If they will even insure you they will add a surcharge that could double your rate.  If you own a dog you need coverage...yes I'm an attorney.

Hoglaw
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I got a Finnish Spitz from a no kill shelter about 2 years ago and am very pleased.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#26]
From what it sounds like a Lab or Shepard of some sort would be a good choice.

+10 on checking your home owner's insurance before you get a large breed dog-Rottie, GSD, Boxer, Mastiff, etc. Quite a few compaines will not cover the dog or will threaten to cancel your insurance if you get one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I have, one each chow chow, german shepard ( or bottomless stomache ) pit bull and a lab.

Any but the chow would make a good dog for children as the chow is a hatefull fuckerhead.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
From what it sounds like a Lab or Shepard of some sort would be a good choice.

+10 on checking your home owner's insurance before you get a large breed dog-Rottie, GSD, Boxer, Mastiff, etc. Quite a few compaines will not cover the dog or will threaten to cancel your insurance if you get one.

One of the benefits of choosing a Shiloh Shepherd. It is out of the GSD line, but there aren't enough of them that insurance underwriters even know what they are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Get one that's tacticool and bulletproof!

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:31:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#31]
This is my guy - Remi (for Remington of course!!)  He is a German Shepherd, and in this picture he was 9 weeks old. Smartest dog I have ever had, his ears are just starting to stand, and I love him to death!  <swoon>

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Another vote for the Boxers!

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:45:21 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How did they ship him to you?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Interesting read here about GSDs origins.  Weird part is they look like my dog

http://www.shilohshepherds.info/whatIsAShilohShepherd.htm
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#35]
We have a 4 1/2 year old female weimaraner. She has been the greatest dog I've ever had. She loves kids. Loves to hunt quail and rabbits. Very hyper at times but gentle when she needs to be.  I've had golden retrievers, cocker spaniels and labs growing up and they were all excellent dogs but our weim is my favorite. Raise whatever dog like family and it will act like family.

http://www.weimclubamerica.org/
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

How did they ship him to you?

Air freight. They put him in a crate and sent him on the airline. I just made sure I was there when the plane arrived. It cost a couple of hundred bucks, IIRC. All things included, still a real bargain for the dog I got.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Pembroke Welsh Corgi

Extremely smart dogs, very loyal, good watchdogs, great with kids, and did I say they are very smart?

Here is our 10 month old Corgi named Einstein (Cowboy Bebop was the inspiration)

The only downside is they shed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Another vote for the Boxers!

home.houston.rr.com/wbm/10.jpg

Nice looking dogs!!

That is one thing about Boxers, they do much better if you have two - they need a buddy to play with.  

Mine wrestle and play tug-o-war with each other all day long.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#39]
another vote for GSD
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:55:19 AM EDT
[#40]
We love our golden retriever.  We have had her for 8 years and she is the best dog we have have ever had.  Incredible with kids, full of energy, very loyal and loving.  Great hunting dog.

Only negatives are they are long haired, so more maintence and they are not the best watchdogs.  She would bark at a stranger, then want to play with them!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Any shep, collie, retriever will make a great companion/competitor

My wife and I just got a border collie, and at 14 weeks, he is everything and more we could want.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
GSD:

my.break.com/media/view.aspx?ContentID=169721

This dog is hands down the greatest dog I've seen!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

This dog kicks A$$!  I love the eyes!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 12:04:10 PM EDT
[#44]
+ 10  ACD

Verygood with kids, not to big not to small.

For a small-medium size dog they are very brave and are capable of being extremely ferocious in protective mode, I'd rather be attacked by a Sheppard than a mad Heeler !

Negatives. Require alot of attention when young, Very energetic and clingy.

My brother and his wife have 4 ACD's and her mom has 7 of them and they do herding thing with ducks, sheep and cows with theirs.
My dog is a 1/2 & 1/2 ACD/BC mix, pretty good mix, she doesn't herd and is afraid of sheep and cows. Loves the frisbee though...Will be getting another ACD this summer after my deployment.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:12:05 PM EDT
[#45]
What kind of dog do I have, you asked.

I don't need a dog.  I got my husband.  He almost looks like a St. Bernard to me (huge, droopy eyes, guitar-shaped head, drool coming out of the mouth...)

Seriously, I've always liked black or white labrador retreivers.  They're not only good sporting
dogs; they're also loveable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Love my lab-mix and golden-mix. The lab loves to swim (as you can see). Both are loving and loyal dogs and great around kids. Just my .02 cents on what to get.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a big Dobermann fan, but the GSD is probably a better choice for a family dog, Dobies are really energetic.

The best dog on the planet is my Dobie/Dane/Pit/Husky mix, mutts are a crapshoot but if you get a good one they're the best.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#48]
GSD  x 2

They are about 85lbs each now but I love this picture.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#49]
My hunting buddy, wifes/childs protector.
He is very protective of my wife and child but will let me take lead if I am around.
My kid likes to lay on the floor and use him like a warm pillow.

ETA: like others have said lab puppies are a handfull but once they grow a brain they are the best (IMHO).
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 3:02:35 PM EDT
[#50]
I have an Irish Setter really great dog, loves kids. If you get one check its bloodlines, if its a bird dog it will be smart. If its from a line of show dogs it will be stupid as hell. I cannot emphasize that enough. I've had 3 Irish Setters, all great dogs but the only one with a brain was the bird dog
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top