Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2007 10:31:07 AM EDT
Long story short. My 4-wheeler ended up under water, upside down, in a creek. The creek has been froze over so I couldn't get it out. I should be able to get it this weekend.

What, mechanically will need to be done? Yamaha Blaster 2 stroke.

ETA: Long story page 2.

Update 2-25-07

Friday night I spent several hours in the woods at the creek getting this thing out of the water. I got the thing turned over and pulled out of the creek. Me, a come-a-long, heavy tow rope, and 100' of boat rope. I hiked out of the woods at 3am.

I wasn't able to get it home till today(Sun). Several miles through the woods. Hills, dips, logs, and a foot of crunchy snow. My nephew helped me pull it home. I put the tow rope on the front and hooked it to a 5' pipe. We each got on one side of the pipe with the rope in the middle and pulled. Took us 4 or 5 hours.

Had time to do a quick check. Unhooked air box at carb, full of ice. Took out spark plug. Turned off fuel and unhooked line. Tipped quad straight up on tail and kicked it over a few times. Some water came out but not like the whole case was full.

Has spark. Did see gasket blown between case and cylinder. I pumped it full of WD40, all I had in stock and stuck it in the garage.

I'll try to find a gasket kit and tear it down. While I'm doing this should I do the oil block off? Why does everyone do this to blasters? Is there a problem with the oil injection system? I see the kits on eBay for around $20.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:31:33 AM EDT
[#1]
For starters, uncontrollable laughter...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For starters, uncontrollable laughter...

I vote for... buy a new 4-wheeler.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:33:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Long story short. My 4-wheeler ended up under water, upside down, in a creek. The creek has been froze over so I couldn't get it out. I should be able to get it this weekend.

img162.imageshack.us/img162/6640/0217071904ds9.jpg

How much do you know about complete tear-down and re-assembly of engines?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
First, learn your lesson.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#6]
How does it end up like that and how do you leave it there long enough to be frozen in?
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I was gonna say kill it with fire, but it's pretty well frozen.

what happened?  Long story plz.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow. Sucks for you.

I'm gonna go with "buy a new one".
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
DAMN!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Sell it for parts.

Anything electrical will need to be replaced. Battery, starter motor, ignition system, wiring harness. Corrosion at all the terminals will be your biggest enemy.
New cables, new clutch, new seat.
Drain fluids (water/oil) out of engine, carb, tranny, differentials if you have them. Brake system. Brake pads. Wheel bearings.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How does it end up like that and how do you leave it there long enough to be frozen in?

My guess is he rolled it down a hill and it went into the creek, which was probably cold, but not frozen, and he couldn't/wouldn't go in after it.

I've dove into around 40 degree water and it absolutely takes your breath away... I imagine 33-34 degree water would be even worse and be even harder to move around in, and for less time.  Without a wet suit and some cold-weather gear, I sure wouldn't go in and get it until it gets warmer.

ETA:  Sell it for parts and get a new one.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Start by draining all fluids (brake, clutch, fuel included) After the electronics dry out spray them to death with spray silicone, then spray them again. Refill w/new fluids. Repack wheel bearings, heavily grease all fittings.
Turn over by hand w/plug out. If you see spark...great. Remove carb and rebuild.
I'd run some sea foam in the first tank of mix. Hopefully the ice didn't bust anything.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And transmissions, differentials, electrical systems, etc

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
ouch

another vote for buy a new one

you will have some spare parts on hand
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Since we are talking ATV vs. 4 Wheel Drive truck...

I would vote for "complete disassembly and rebuild".

Spend the rest of the winter with it in the garage, take it apart and put it back together.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Only snowmobiles can walk on water, NOT 4 wheelers!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And transmissions, differentials, electrical systems, etc

Sheesh, it ain't that bad. I've pulled many snow machines off the bottom of lakes and had them running the same day. 2 strokes ain't all that bad to resurect from the depths. The coil is probably sealed...hopefully. No valves to worry about, so that helps.
I'd like to know how it got there in the first place...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:44:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I am deeply surprised this is not a Fat_McNasty thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Man that is crazy.  I will never understand you wheelin' guys.

Part it out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Once it comes out of suspended animation, you could immerse the entire quad in a vat of alcohol. That might serve to drive the water out before serious corrosion sets in.

Yeah...good luck with that.

Really, what's it worth? I'd say you have a great long-term project on your hands. Completely dissassemble the entire thing:
Replace all the electronics
The seat is open cell foam, so you might be able to salvage it
Rebuild carb
Rebuild engine
Rebuild brake system
Clean and lube everything
Replace chassis bearings
Repaint/touch up

Heck, post in in the DIY forum with pics! You'll get a bunch of suggestions, some of them even helpful.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:51:20 AM EDT
[#21]
If it's completely underwater you probably won't get much corrosion in only 2 weeks if it's fresh clean water and the extreme cold helps keep things from growing in it.  But you'll still want to check terminals, fuse blocks, connections etc, etc.  Blow everything electrical off till thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly dry. then spray heavily with contact cleaner or WD-40. Throw away the battery and buy a new one.  Drain all fluids and flush with diesel fuel or kerosene and refill with the specified fluid, run for a short period then drain and refill again.

That's what I'd do for a start.  If everything seems good then I'd probably just ride the hell out of it. If something doesn't work then I'd consider either a tear down or selling it for parts.  I can't imagine that tearing it down would be that difficult, I've ripped my HD's apart, did a a top end rebuild and trans reseal, blasted all the metal parts and repainted and had it back together and running in less than 12 hours.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Man that is crazy.  I will never understand you wheelin' guys.

Part it out.

I'll never understand folks who treat multi thousand $$ toys like shit.   I guess I'm just not rich enough have that kind of problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:53:21 AM EDT
[#23]
what needs to be done?

first of all: put a poll

second: take more pics and post on arfkom.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Sell it on eBay or CraigsList as 'like new'

Specify that you will only deal w/ those from Nigeria
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Holy crap dude.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Leave it there as a fish habitat and buy a fishing pole.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#27]
I've filled my waverunner engine with water before, its really not that big of a deal if an engine gets submerged.  Take the plugs out, spin the motor over to get all the water out and then get it running, after its running, ride the hell out of it to get all the water to evap out of the system.  A bit different than a 4 wheeler but no reason to junk it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:03:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're back! Welcome!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#29]
If it was a Honda you could ride it out now.

Seriously, it'll buff out.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#30]
your screwed
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#31]
OK, long story.

When I was young and played in creeks my Grandpa told me to be careful. There are 'holes'. He was correct, I just found one.

I was out riding in the woods and snow. I decided to stop and build a fire. It was around 20 out. I went into the creek bed. After enjoying the fire for awhile I was ready to leave. As I was turning around I got the bright idea to ride on the ice.

I know this creek from boating or crossing it with the 4 wheeler in the summer. Most of it is dry creek bed or a couple inches that are frozen solid. The deeper parts are maybe a foot deep. The deep parts are frozen over. I work my way upstream checking the ice as I go. The most I am worried about is breaking through and getting stuck causing me to get my feet wet and walking home.

Most of the creek bed is very wide. As I work my way up I come to a couple places where it narrows so it isn't froze over. I drive through the water, again not wanting to get my feet wet.

Well stupid me comes to a very narrow part not froze. The water is flowing real good going under the ice. It is hard to see how deep. Up a little more I can see some rocks. I think this may be over my feet so I get on my knees and hit it. (No one around to hold my beer.)

The best way I can describe it is like the old cartoon. The character is walking down a sidewalk. He steps into a puddle and disappears. Next thing I know I am under water. I pulled myself onto the ice and got to land. My clothes were instantly froze. One hell of a shock.

I had a half hour hike home. I chose getting warm over freezing to death trying to pull it out. I did get a wheel caught on the ice ledge. I had to go to work so I couldn't go back. By the weekend it was froze over.

When I went under water there was a huge log across the creek. I realized where I was. I guess the combination of all of the water going through this narrow part and water being forced under the log it has dug out a deep hole over my head. The other thing that hit me is the current was pulling me under the ice. The day before I watched an episode of 'I Shouldn't Be Alive' where a dad and son got sucked under ice in a river. That morning my brother and I were talking about that episode, ironic.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 11:21:20 AM EDT
[#32]
First get it out then dry everything.  Empty all fluids then replace with new ones.  Try to start it up.  If you can just ride the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#33]
On another board, a guy dropped or "cased" his bike in a creek.  He changed all the fluids (not sure if it was 2 or 4 stroke) and thought that would do it.

Anyway, a short while later when it broke down, he was quite shocked and unhappy to see that it would cost more to fix than it cost brand new.

He was very unhappy with the outcome.  Somehow he thought it would be under warranty.
I believe he'd taken it in without mentioning the creek incident at first.  The dealer tore it down and said "wait a minute".  There was rust and water in some parts of the engine.  They had a factory rep out and they said "no way".  So he was left with a collection of parts that the dealer eventually got tired of storing and made him get out of their shop.

So I would say get advice from as many places as you can, including some ATV boards, and then get as much done as you can do yourself and / or afford to pay a qualified person to do.   Unless you can manage a complete teardown of the engine and other major components, I suspect you're going to have big trouble down the road.

And even if nothing big gives out, there will still things like the electrical system, cables, gauges, etc.  And if it doesn't have a layer of crap covering it and getting into the nooks and crannies, I'd be surprised.

I hope you are able to get it out without the fuel having gone into the water.   Being upside down might actually have helped that.

You now basically have a Katrina special, unfortunately.

Do what you can and cross your fingers, but I wouldn't go far from home with it.

I passed up a chance to rehab a $5,000 Ford that  that had skidded down a slimy boat ramp because there was just too much involved. and I have a pretty good knack mechanically.  They were asking $600 for it.

You're lucky to be alive.  Be thankful, and reassess going out solo even in good weather.   Imagine having to hop / crawl back with a broken leg.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:58:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Its not that big of a deal, just drain the oil and gas, dry it out in a heated garage, spray wd40 all over it and it will start right up. Its a 2 stroke, there is obviously a film of oil coating all the internal engine parts (or else it wouldnot have been running) and that will protect it from corosion.........unless you used a water-soluble oil and gas (LOL) you are fine.

there is only a very basic electrical system and it is designed to be waterproof.

Your biggest problem is going to be getting all that water out of the seat....that foam is gonna hold it for ever.

Seriosly, I have seen a bunch of snowmobiles (and one dirtbike) get pulled out of lakes(after sitting under water for a lot more than 2 weeks) and fire right up once they are dry. The only possible problem could be if the hot engine cracked when it cooled rapidly. I saw a yamaha exciter that went in a creek that had one cylinder crack.

Cold water does not rust steel fast, and it sure as hell does not rust aluminum.

I will give you $100 for it........
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#35]
If you can't get it up and going, give it to me. I want a quad, and I'm more than capable of rebuilding that one from scratch.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Leave it there and get yourself a YFZ450.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:19:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I've owned a bike shop for 5 yrs. and been a bike mechanic for 12. Email me with any questions you have. I will give you the best prices on parts also.

It's not as big a deal as others have posted.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#38]
OK, I want to hear the long story...
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I had a 20 horse outboard motor knocked off the transom of the boat into about 6 feet of water by a submerged log.  We managed to fish it out of the lake later that day.  We pulled the spark plugs out and turned it over a few times to get the water out of the cylinders.  We then sprayed some oil into the cylinders and turned it over a few times before reinstalling the plugs.  It started it right up with a couple of pulls.  It is still running to this day.  They tell me the secret is to get it running as soon as you can after getting it out of the water.  Do not let it sit.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#40]
It looks like you have a lot more fun than I do!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Thaw it out would be a good place to start.

Seriously, let it sit in a warm place for a day.

Drain all fliuds, hopefully the cylinder or block will not crack, if it filled the engine with water, water expands when it feezes, then when it thaws, is when you get cracked blocks.

If that is good, dry everything off and out, new gas, oil etc. You may very well need a new batt, plan on getting one anyway.

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Once its out drain ALL the fluids, pull the plug and WD the living shit out of everything, refill the tranny all the way to the top [you'll flush it about 3 or 4 times] leave the cap off, use a space heater and dry the bitch out as best as you can, it'll have to get warm and you'll have to spin the engine frequently, pull the carb and strip and dry it, might as well rebuild it also. Take a good couple of days before you think it's dry, then drain tranny refill, gas [pull tank and oil res and clean them also] and see what happens. Be prepared to replace seals and bearings in lots of stuff for the next year.........

Might as well pull the cylinder and replace the rings too, if they are rusted you'll be due a rebuild if you start it up.

WD the hell out of it all along the way, buy a case full.

But, you might still be screwed.

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#43]
hell my honda lives inn the water and mud, dry it out and fire that turd up, then hit it again
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:06:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Glad you made it out ok and have a good story to tell without serious injury.  Winter can be a lot of fun but it can also kill.

Others here have made a lot of good suggestions as far as rehabilitating it once it comes up for air.  I'll make another suggestion though - DON'T pull it out until you are ready to get to work on it.  At this point, there would be less additional damage from it staying underwater for another week than if you pull it up and let it sit for a week before cleaning it up.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 3:43:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Call FEMA and get your check!
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:28:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Dig that bitch out and ride the fuck out of it
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#47]
If it's anything like a drowned outboard. Leave it in the water until you are actually ready to work on it.

Take the carb off, and pull the spark plug.  Drain the fluids.   Upside down, you may not even have water in the case.  You could be lucky.  

On the down side. Cold water hitting the hot piston and valves, she could be done!  Good Luck
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
If it's anything like a drowned outboard. Leave it in the water until you are actually ready to work on it.

Take the carb off, and pull the spark plug.  Drain the fluids.   Upside down, you may not even have water in the case.  You could be lucky.  

On the down side. Cold water hitting the hot piston and valves, she could be done!  Good Luck

I'd bet it's FULL of water, either from the carb or from the ports thru the exhaust. You have to get it out get it opened up and drained and dried out as fast as you can or it'll start rusting as soon as it hits air. [All the steel bearings and such.]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#49]
My buddy tried riding through moving water that wound up deeper than he thought.  when it got about to the top of his back rack it swept the quad sideways and then it went over.

I dragged my buddy out of the creek and we got to work.

The water was moving fast enough his quad traveled downstream bit by bit by bit and eventually moved about 25 yards or so.  It wound up upside down in a bend.

We got a rope on it to keep it from moving anymore and then went and got some chains and his bobcat and we hauled it out of the crick.

Once it is out you get to work.  Do not let it sit.

Pull every drain plug you find, we found one on the muffler and this was a 4 stroke kawasaki with the automatic.  We pulled the cover to the automatic stuff and made sure it got dry.

wd40 on everything, my buddy loves wd40.  We pulled the plug and spun the engine by hand and put some oil in the spark plug hole and every now and then pulled the engine over again.  We never turned the key on or tried to run stuff.

We got everything somewhat apart so we could get the water out of the airbox and get all electricals sprayed with wd40 and what not.

Once we were happy we had everything apart we started seeing what still worked.

Everything still worked.

We drained the fuel tank and flushed the carb with a lot of cleaner and then fresh gas.

At this point we decided to put it together and see if it would run.

It took some coaxing because we just drained everything out of the fuel tank and lines and did the best we could to empty the carb as well.

But before long it ran.

We let it run a while and then shut it down and started it back up.  We wanted to see how the starter and alternator handled this, alternator loads were done by turning on the headlights and what not.

The next day we did wind up having to mess with the covers around the automatic belts and what not.  All we did was get things apart to get the water out.

This happened early this winter.

Quad still runs great and is used a lot since my buddy owns some land and lives on the land.

To some extent I would not be surprised if the starter or something dies soon.  But even his battery is fine.

His quad was in the water about an hour.

I had to haul his butt out of the water 3 different times, not the smartest thing to do but he wanted his quad out and he was the one playing in the water so me hauling him out was easy.

My opinion is that 2 weeks in the water is no biggy unless the ice did something when it expanded as it went from liquid to solid.

As soon as you pull it out of the water get it somewhere you can work on it.

Pull covers, seat, air filter, and everything else off and start spraying wd40 or something similar everywhere.

Pull every drain plug and anything that looks like a drain plug.

Don't use the starter to turn the engine over at first.  Pull the plug and slowly spin it by hand to see what it does.

A running engine that injest water may self destruct.  If it rolls over then you can pull hard to get the water to shoot out the spark plug hole and start spraying some oil into the spark plug hole and slowly pull the engine start cord.

The both of us worked on my buddy's quad about an hour before we even started checking for spark with the key on and me pulling the cord.

Other than his aftermarket lexan windsheild being destroyed from the quad moving upside down in the creek bed everything is fine.  The windsheild just got some really deep scratches.

The body work has some scratches but that is no biggy.

If you have the ability to rebuild the carb I would probably do that.  We never pulled his because it was a pain to get to and the engine died pretty quickly once he was off it.  We found little water in the air filter box as well.

I just think the most important thing is the first couple hours after you get it out of the water.

And these are just quads.  They are fun and they are not hard to work on and they can handle stuff like this pretty well.

This was not the first quad my buddy had wound up washing the hard way and it won't be his last.
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 5:48:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Won't be too hard to to get it running again. The electronics on quads are sealed, so it should have hurt anything. The only real concern you're going to have is rust on your main bearings. There's no oil in the crankcase of a 2 stroke, so the only thing protecting it is the thin 2 stoke oil film.

Here's your steps to getting it running:
1.Drain the oil.
2 remove spark plug and air filter
3. remove exhaust (easiest way to help draining)
4 slowly kick it over. You need to get all the water from the crankcase, and since a 2 strokes crank is sealed, you may need to tip, turn, and flip the quad, and kick it over in all positions.
5. wd 40 the cylinder through the spark plug hole.
6 replace plug
7 fill tranny with oil.
8, replace pipe
9. Try to start it.
10. If it starts, run it easy. The excess water that was in the tranny will boil and steam out through the tranny vent. When it's finished, change the oil again.
11. If it doesn't start, remove stator cover and clean the pickups on the generator, and check for spark.
12.Try to start it again
13. if it still doesn't run, or you have no spark, you have a long road of checking electrical connections. The CDI might have leaked, etc. You can usually find used but working electrical parts on ebay for cheap.

It really shouldn't cost you much to get it running again. Maybe 20-50$. However, depending on how much rust was on the cylinder and main bearings, you may be rebuilding it soon. I wouldn't necessarily rebuild it before trying to start it up though. Don't forget to grease all the zerks and linkages, especially the swingarm and carrier bearings. Good luck.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top