Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2001 1:05:38 AM EDT
Ok. I didnt listen when everybody was buying Assault rifles. Now I may need one and I live in California. Whats an entry level Model going to cost me? If I can purchase it out of state.

Thanks....... Extractor
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:14:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Extractor,
Sorry...but you should of listened. You can no longer buy a semi-auto AR 15 in CA.

You actually can't buy much of anything semiauto! To see what the laws are go to:

[url]http://www.caag.state.ca.us/firearms/[/url]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
The only legal way that you can purchase firearms out of state is to have it transferred to an ffl in California. Since this is your only legal recourse, you are SOL.

SB23 prevents you from purchasing an assault type firearm in California. Your only choice is to move your residence out of California.

Alex

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#4]
They are correct my friend, you can not "legally" buy an AR15 out of state and bring it into Cali.  If you really want one you would have to move.  At the last Reno Gun Show AR15's were going for about $750 new.  If I ever move it will be to Nevada...no paper work required on rifles with private party sales[;)].

If you still want a good semi-auto rifle I recommend you check out the Russian SKS rifles.  They are better than the Romanian and Chinease models and run about $300 in great condition.  The SKS shoots much better than a Ruger Mini 14/30, is cheaper and eazier to find replacement/add-on parts.

Good luck.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I would say SKS if you want to save some money.

DSA has a new California legal FAL with a 10-round fixed magazine and top loading dustcover. Excellent rifle and very nice looking.

The M1 Garands and M1As are still legal. The latter being somewhat expensive ($1,400+).

You could buy a standard FAL, which is a great rifle, but you cannot attach the pistol grip. This means you would have to practice out of state, like in the Nevada desert. I don't know if the local ranges would let you fire it without the pistol grip.

So, you have some choices.

For me, if money was no object I would go with the M1A or DSA California legal FAL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:20:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Mini-14 ? I got kicked out of the Metcalf Range in San Jose in 1989 with a Mini-14. There was alot of confusion around that time about legalities. I went back to Reeds and traded in for a Garand and went back to Metcalf the same day with my less-than-evil battle rifle & was allowed to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mini-14's are still permitted too.
View Quote
You know what the real kicker is?  The Mini is legal and the AR15 is not legal based on LOOKS alone.  They are both semiauto 5.56 rifles that will take high cap mags.  Ain't that a hoot!!

I will say that although many here ridicule the Mini, it is a damn good alternative since the AR's are illegal and is a lot better, IMHO, than the bastardized AR's being made for Kali.  If I lived there, it's what I would have.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok. I didnt listen when everybody was buying Assault rifles. Now I may need one and I live in California. Whats an entry level Model going to cost me? If I can purchase it out of state.

Thanks....... Extractor
View Quote
A semi auto AR15 is NOT an assault rifle contrary to the ignorant anti's rantings.  An assault rifle, by definition, must have select fire capability.  These are Sport Utility Rifles.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are worried about the next round of bans, a Winchester-style in 45-70 or cheaper ammo 30-30 might be a good alternative.
I know with a shotgun, I am just as fast with an 870 as an A-5.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top