Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2001 7:55:42 PM EDT
I now reside most of the time in CA. I thought I saw a post on still being able to purchase a FAL reciever in this state and being able to "maybe" add a pistol grip at a later date. Please advise if this is possible and inexpensive places where I could buy a quality FAL reciever if this is still possible.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
btt
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
anyone?
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Hi Roberts,

Yes, you can still buy an FAL type rifle in CA without a pistol grip.  You might have a hard time finding a dealer though, most of them don't understand the law too well and don't want to take any risks.  The few I see at gunshows are horribly marked up in price.

When and if the rifles are put on the roberti-roos list and you register it, then you can put the pistol grip on.  A bastard anti DA might have a different oppinion though.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks
Now my next question. Anyone know a good FFL in southern CA??  And where could I get a reciever for a good price??   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to find an FFL to handle the transfer of the receiver. Check the FFL list at Gunbroker.com. Once you have an FFL who's willing to deal with FALs, contact AIM or Entreprise and order the receiver. Both will ship to CA (Entreprise is based in CA). AIM has the Imbel type-3 "Gear Logo" receivers, which are very popular, for about $230. Also, PAC in Stockton (I think) has the same receivers as AIM. Once you get the receiver, you can order a demilled rifle kit. Federal Arms still has good quality Austrian STG58 kits for $295; Century Arms has Imbel kits for about $250. There are South African kits for as low as $100, but the quality is not very good. Once you have the kit, you need to order a US parts kit. I believe you need 5 US parts to be legal. And it's not any part, they must be specific parts. Check www.fnfal.com for more information. Once you have all your stuff, send it off to a good FAL guy to assemble and you're all set. Understand that you may not attach the pistol grip. Moreover, the kit may not contain the 20-round magazine. But DSA has 10-round mags.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:10:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Enterprise sells its own recievers and they can hook you up with an FFL. Be quick about it the end is near.

red man
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks a ton guys, nothing like racing against the clock.  Do you know if Enterprise has a web site??    Sorry but I'm new to FALs but here good stuff about them.
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
www.entreprise.com
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually, Entreprise can set you up with Imbel receivers as well, but I don't think they have the popular "Gear Logo" variety. The Imbels are built in Brazil using FN tooling and are considered some of the best. And they're cheaper then the DSA or Entreprise receivers.

Red man, do you mean the end is near as far as the law or as far as the availability of parts kits?
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Forget PAC in Stockton. PAC is an importer. I meant Dealer Warehouse in Modesto. Imbel type-3 "Gear Logo" receivers for $218.50. Not to add to the hype, but it's probably better to get them soon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, I'll try to find a link for Dealer Warehouse today. AIM has no more recievers when I checked. I found the link for Century Arms and emailed them to see if they had demilled rifle kits. I still need to find a link for Federal Arms. Do you mean hurry because they'll add these to the Rossi list??   Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll go with Dealer's Warehouse. They have an Imbel "Gear Logo" for $218.50. So is the FAL a good weapon and worth doing this??
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:29:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Do the Imbels use inch or metric pattern parts?
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]
roberts......I have various ar's & ak's, but i just took delivery of my DS Arms FN (STG-58)and shot it last weekend...It is an awesome weapon... a beauty to behold, and shoot! This weapon in .308 makes an impressive semi-auto! I only wish I could try a fully auto one somewhere!

http://www.dsarms.com/

Take a look.....

BUY NOW OR MOVE..(remake of Live FREE or DIE)
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 8:37:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Imbels are metric
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I want the shortest barrel for this weapon. Would this be 16.5"?? Would I specify this length whenever I order the demilled barrel kit down the road?  
Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Check out the fnfal.com forums, they will answer all your questions. I've seen posts of Class 3 select fire FAL's in the general discussion pages that have 8" barrels. Most carbine lengths for the FAL run about 16"-18" without having to cut down the handguards or move the gas system. 18"ers also seem work better without gas system modification.

As for specifying length, most demilled kits are full sized 21" FAL's. You can have the barrel cut down by a qualified gunsmith or install a brand new carbine barrel onto a new reciever.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#18]
You may want to rethink the carbine idea. The FAL in its stock form is 2" longer than my 20" Armalite AR10 and is very heavy. I have a buddy in Florida that has built many FALs. He just sold his two carbines. One Imbel and one DSA. He said the accuracy really suffers when you cut them down. He swears by the 21" barrel and feels in that configuration and with a good barrel(Steyr)and scope are more accurate than his ARs. He also just told me that the Tapco brake ($20) won an accuracy test compared to other brakes available. I have one and was getting ready to send my DSA kit gun to Entreprise when I got the wild hair, thanks to this thread, to build another one. It will also be a 21" but with the handle cut Imbel receiver from Dealers Warehouse in Modesto (30mi. south of me). $218.50 plus $8 shipping and the FFL fee. If we did a group purchase of 5 we could get them for $199 ea. My local FFL just agreed to do the transfer. I'd like to order next week. Anyone else interested in going in?

Craig
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#19]
They're 30mi south of me too. I was also looking to get the same Imbel reciever. I'm in with you!
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Robert, I bought an Entreprise built fal from Entreprise Arms in Irwindale Ca. They about a mile and a half south of the 210  fwy. Speak to Lawrence. They are a ffl dealer and can handle the purchase. They do sell the Imbels also and can build what you want.
There is alot of Entreprise bashing on falfiles but I`m happy with mine and everyone at the ranges I`ve spoke to that has an Ent. likes them. The Fal builders don`t care for them much.
I like mine and wont sell it. The DSA has a very good rep but I dont like the idea of them doing business from a P.O.Box.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks
Now I'm trying to figure out if it's going to be added to the Rossi list (hopefully not). But I don't just want it sitting around if they don't because I won't be allowed to put a grip on it. What do you guys recommend about the grip?
p.s.
I recieved one reply at the FAL forum all day
this site has info for everything it seems like
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 1:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]
DSA is considered the best, but they will not ship rifles (or parts kits) to CA. That leaves Entreprise for complete rifles.

Here are some numbers:

Dealer Warehouse
4813 Enterprise Way
Unit K
Modesto, CA 95356
Phone: (209) 545-2800
FAX: (209) 545-2528

Federal Arms
8035 Ranchers Road
Fridley, MN 55432
Phone: (763) 780-8780
FAX: (763) 780-5747
Contact Harlan at [email protected]

Century is at www.centuryarms.com

Like PeaShooter said, Imbels are metric.

Entreprise might build you a carbine if you send them your receiver and kit. Or you can save the hassle and just buy their carbine. Last time I checked the only carbines they have are the one's using the circular handguard. I have heard they are good.

I was considering a carbine, but after reading about the 11% loss in muzzle velocity, I'm not sure that's the way I want to go now. FALs are really battle rifles. For carbines, I'd probably get an M-4 style rifle. I don't know, my mind is not made-up yet.

The reason I say get these items now is mostly because of availability. I know the Austrian parts kits may be hard to find soon, so now's a good time to order 1-2. As far as receivers, there may be a shortage of Imbel "Gear Logo" receivers, but with Entreprise building their own, you have a source. And, of course, if these weapons are added to RR89, you can add the pistol grip. Right now they fall under SB23, which means you cannot attach the pistol grip. The best bet is to use it out of state, but remember to remove the pistol grip before you bring it back in. A road trip to NV 3-4 times a year can be fun in any case.

Don't worry about DSA. They don't do receiver or rifle business in CA. They'll sell you small parts and 10-round mags, but not much more.
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#23]
One of my budds called the DOJ and he asked about the Fal being put on the ban list. He was told that the DOJ is getting more funds to handle all the new guns being put on the list. The guy at DOJ didn't know the names of the guns being added. He just said the  registration department was geting more cash. If you want it don't sit on your butt.

red man
Link Posted: 2/26/2001 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#24]
We need 2 more for the discount.
Link Posted: 2/27/2001 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]
I live in santa barbara and i would like to go in with you for the discount email me and let me know the status
thx
Mike
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Let me know more about getting in on the group discount. e-mail me some details.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 5:50:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Does anyone have a picture of an FAL in the nnon pistol grip configuration. Does it use a special stock or do you just remove the grip?

Please post a picture if you can.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#28]
[b]One of my budds called the DOJ and he asked about the Fal being put on the ban list. He was told that the DOJ is getting more funds to handle all the new guns being put on the list. The guy at DOJ didn't know the names of the guns being added.[/b]

Not that I'm a lawyer or anything, but here's what Roberti-Roos said:

[i]
12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the following designated semiautomatic firearms:
    (a) All of the following specified rifles:
    (1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models identified as follows:
...snip....
(5) Colt AR-15 series.
[/i]

They way I understand it is that since AK and AR [b]series[/b] were specified in the law, DOJ can now add specific models belonging to those series to the Roberti-Roos list any time they want. Since FAL series weren't mentioned, only FN manufactured models, FAL clones fall under SB23, at least until the sociofascists notice...
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#29]
The AR15 series nomenclature was added last summer. Up until them, the AR15 portion of RR89 dealt only with Colt AR15's. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Most likely they'll see the error in their ways and add "FN FAL series" to RR89, at which time we'll all be required to register our FAL clones.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top