Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 5:10:24 PM EDT
I just got my new AR-15 barrel and I have been trying my ass off to remove the old one from the upper.  I already removed the gas tube.  When I try to take off the barrel with the barrel wrench, when it is in the barrel vise, the whole upper half moves with the wrench.  Therefore, I am not getting anything done.  should I put a regular wrench in the carry handle and the other end aginst the bench to act as a lever to stop the movement or will that mess up the receiver?  I have been waiting a long time to do this and now I am very pissed off.  By the way the threads are the same as normal screw threads arnt they....turn left to loosen?  Please help me ASAP if you can.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a good thing that I bought the barrel vise with the plastic/rubbery inserts.  This helped grip the barrel.  The barrel was nut was very, very tight.

I had to use a 1/2" breaker bar in the square hole in the wrench.  The freakin' workbench lifted off the ground before she broke loose!

Good luck, man.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The barrel nut is screwed into the upper receiver, not the barrel.  By gripping the barrel, you run the risk of bending/breaking/stripping that itty bitty index pin, or worse yet, breaking a chunk out of the upper.  Hold the upper, preferably with a good action block.  same for torquing in a new barrel.

Norm
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
My crude but effective way is to put a small dia. 2ft. long pipe through the carry handle, with a thick bath towel wrapped around it...I slide the pipe/towel as far forward as possible, so as to not break the handle, and put everything on the floor.
Stand on the pipe and loosen the barrel nut with the barrel wrench...Be sure to keep constant pressure on the wrench, so it doesn't slip off the nut...
Also, a large 1/2" breaker bar is recommended...
Sometimes they are sooooo tight, you will break off some of the "nubbies" on the barrel nut...

Yes, it sucks but it will come off...

When I put them back together I just "snug" them good, and always lube the threads...

Be patient...
You'll get it...
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I did not buy an action block because I am on a limited budget.  I really need to know if I will ruin the upper if I put a bar between the carryhandle and the bench to keep the upper from twisting in the barrel vise when using the barrel wrench.  Please help!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Put the whole works on the floor... You will have MUCH more strength and leverage standing on and over it...

I've used my crude 2ft pipe and bath towel, with the 1/2" breaker bar at least 10 or 15 times so far...
Not even a scratch on the upper...

Just take your time and be carefull...
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I will try it right now. If it works I'll get back to yall.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe get a helper, too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Of course this advice won't work if you have a flattop upper...
I tried putting the pipe in the mag-well on my pre-ban flat top gun several months ago, and cracked the lower receiver...

YES, I was VERY upset...
Felt like a real dipshit that day...
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 6:22:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
BTT^^^

How did you make out EAHBAR ????
Hope you got it apart ok...
Haven't heard back from you...
I guess that means you are installing your new barrel...

I like switching out different length barrels...Makes me feel like I have a whole new gun...[:)]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 4:56:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I got the barrel off! Thanks guys!  The problem I am having now is I have a canted front sight housing.  It is an Armalite barrel so it has the adjustable screws on it but I can't figure out what size they are.  If anyone knows what size allen wrench to use on them let me know please.  At first I thought maybe that I over torqued the barrel and ruined the receiver, but I took it off again and every thing was fine.  So right now it is installed but the front sight housing is canted to the left about 8-10 degrese.  Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:16:15 AM EDT
[#12]
BTT. Someone out there must know what size allen wrench to use to adjust the front sight housing.  Please reply if ya know.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]
BTT Come on, fellas.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]
EA- Be careful indexing that front sight. Remember there is a little hole in the barrel that lets the gas get into the gasblock, that also is your front sight base. Move it too much, and it's not going to cycle..

As to allen key sizes, I cant tell you.. I have two of those cheap folding key sets that I use as gauges.. Find out by fitting, then get the correct size from the rack..

Sorry I can't help more..
Meplat
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#15]
none of the allen wrenches from the El Cheapo set fit, that's why I am asking.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys, they wer in fact 9/64 but I had to go buy a set to get the one I needed.  It looks great now and I bet it is one accurate SOB when I sight it in.  Thanks for all the help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top