Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/14/2001 1:05:20 PM EDT
I've never been a fan of the 1911, but a kimber caught my eye and I'm looking for reasons not to buy it.  Gun is the new Pro Eclipse, .45, 7 rounds total, 3" (or mayby 3 1/2" barrel).  Gun fits SO nice.  Is this gun worth the money?  Will be used strictly for conceal carry.  Buying guns somtimes isn't a rational decision, but I can't help but wonder if I'll be kicking myself if I DO buy it.  Heard that they can be finicky about ammo.  Any input on anybodys experience with the Kimber line would be appritiative.  Thks
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I own a Kimber Covert which is similar to a compact CDP.

I love it.

I have shot cheap, HP, and match ammo have not had any problems at all yet.

The gun shoots way better than I can until I get more range time in.

You won't be disappointed.

E-mail me if you would like to talk more and check out the 1911 forum.  

There are guys there like Jaydee that are experts about the 1911.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:14:26 PM EDT
[#3]
The only one I've ever seen in use is one that a friend of mine uses for bowling pin shoots, and he regularly kicks ass with it. I've never seen him have ammo issues, but he shoots all reloads.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Kimber Ultra CDP and couldn't be happier.  It has been 100% reliable, and shoots like a laser. You  won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone I know who owns Kimbers loves them!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone I know who owns Kimbers loves them!
View Quote

Amen!

That's why I bought my compact. It never leaves my side.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kimber Pro Carry and I [b]love[/b] it!  I have only shot Winchester ammo, but have not had any ammo problems. [8D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input.  Unlucky for me I have a "gun store credit card" (same as cash 90 days, or 5 percent interest for 180 days).  Funny thing is that I had no interest in 1911's before I saw this gun.  I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I don't thing I'll be able to.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  Unlucky for me I have a "gun store credit card" (same as cash 90 days, or 5 percent interest for 180 days).  Funny thing is that I had no interest in 1911's before I saw this gun.  I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I don't thing I'll be able to.
View Quote

OK that voice you are hearing...Sit down....now tell it to shut the hell up....

Ok, now get up and get yer butt to the store and bring home a new Kimber.[:)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've got a Kimber Ultra CDP and couldn't be happier.  It has been 100% reliable, and shoots like a laser. You  woun't be disappointed.
View Quote

I have a Pro CDP and could not be happier!!
Buy the gun and you will too!

Heck, you have two opinions from two Texans...What else do you need?
God bless America!

Lynn "BigDozer66" Glaze
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I too have come in contact with the Pro Eclipse and that will be the sidearm I purchase. Saw at a shop and absolutly fell in "love" with it. Trigger pull is excellent and balance/feel is outstanding. A lil pricey, but I feel it will be well worth the money.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:33:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have a Kimber Pro Carry and I [b]love[/b] it!  I have only shot Winchester ammo, but have not had any ammo problems. [8D]
View Quote

OK that is 3 from Texas!!
It will chew up and spit out any type of ammo you put in it!

Lynn  [flag]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#13]
How about that new Custom Eclipse II? I've been getting a hankerin' to get one.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:39:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Funny thing is that I had no interest in 1911's before I saw this gun.  I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I don't thing I'll be able to.
View Quote

Once you learn the 1911 it's the best thing since sliced bread. I used every handgun on the market at one time or another, all the while firm in my resistance to the 1911. When I switched to a 1911 based gun for IPSC I saw the light! Now it's by far my most favored defensive gun. Unless you are one of the few guys out there that just cannot keep your finger off the trigger, the 1911 is the most effective defensive piece available.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:44:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Kimber Custom Target, and I haven't shot much of my other guns since.  Not Glock, not HK or Sig, not even my .22 Ruger.  I made it my life's mission to wear out at least two barrels before I die, God willing.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#16]
13f,

I have one Kimber - the Polymer.  This is the larger 14 round capacity weapon.

I have had two problems with it.

1)  The plunger tube/spring is messed up.  The only problem this causes is when cleaning, if you take the weapon down completely (which I prefer), it takes 3 hands to put it back together.  I contacted Kimber, they said send it in.  No arguments.  But, I hate to  part with it while they fix it so......

2)  The mags will NOT take a full 14 rounds.  A small thing maybe but for the price of them I expect perfection.

Other than that, it is a great weapon.  Shoots to point  of aim out of the box and has fed and functioned with anything I put in it.

If you are looking for a carry gun, I would probably say either Kimber or Glock.  Can't go wrong.

James
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
HAHA HiramRanger!!  I knew you were gonna get a Kimber!!  [}:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]www.ntws.net/keldon/Pics/K2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Kimber SS Custom Target and SS Ultra Carry and I think they are both great.

Both pistols are very reliable with factory ammo and my reloads, very accurate and looks damn nice.  The Ultra Carry is my primary carry gun and the Custom Target is my "fighting" pistol.  

Love them Kimbers[:)]

[IMG]http://fs3.dotphoto.com/MemberImages/186151/i96E774A2-6BC4-43BD-83E3-31A7536E8775.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry for the shitty pic
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have an ULTRA CDP...and love it! (I would love it more, if I could carry it in the cockpit) Here is the website for Kimber owners to express their feelings. [url]http://kimber.infopop.net[/url]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
[size=5][b]I LOVE MY KIMBER [/size=5][/b]

This started out as a basic blued steel fixed sight Kimber. I checkered it myself.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/cK/fV/cX/Az91378.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I always bad mouthed the 1911 and then I met Kimber.  It was love at first sight, her lucious lines, supple curves, rosewood grips, just stroke the trigger and she blows... errrrr shoots.
View Quote

ummm.  please tell me that it doesn't mean i'm a lesbian when i get mine, does it?  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I don't thing I'll be able to.
View Quote

Resistance is futile.

I have a Classic Custom that I've been completely satisfied with.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Bought a Custom Classic when they first came out. Absolutely reliable with every type of ammo I've tried and accurate. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#25]
You can't go wrong with a Kimber.  The Eclipse is an excellent firearm.

Just be sure to purchase some Wilson Combat magazines & you will be set.

Mine shoots anything...from semi-wad cutters, to copper jacketed, to steel cased.  Only had a handful of FT feed.

Happy shopping!!

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always bad mouthed the 1911 and then I met Kimber.  It was love at first sight, her lucious lines, supple curves, rosewood grips, just stroke the trigger and she blows... errrrr shoots.
View Quote

ummm.  please tell me that it doesn't mean i'm a lesbian when i get mine, does it?  [:D]
View Quote

What do you mean your Kimber!!!  I thought it was my Kimber.  I bought it!!!  Wait, did I say that outloud??

Just kidding [:D].....
or am I [>:/]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Never had a single jam out of any of the 5 Kimbers I've owned, after over 13,000 rounds through them combined.  Very very good guns.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

What do you mean your Kimber!!!  I thought it was my Kimber.  I bought it!!!  Wait, did I say that outloud??

Just kidding [:D].....
or am I [>:/]
View Quote

well, if you aren't, it had better be my wedding gift!  (no comment about the lesbian thing?  i'm surprised.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Kimber polymer gold match custom and I have had nothing but problems with it.

First of all, the ambi-safety fell off of it while I was taking a defensive pistol class at Thunder Ranch.  For an $1100 pistol this is completely unacceptable.  I took it to a Kimber certified dealer in nearby Kerrville, TX and they kindly replaced it but charged me $35.  Kimber later refused to reimburse me.  The customer rep. who called me was as rude as the guy at ASA.

I have used it numerous times in PPC matches where it still has a tendancy to jam. I wish I had bought a wilson or les baer.  I would love to sell it, but can't in good consience.

On the good side, the trigger is great and the accuracy is expectional.  

Bottom line is be wary of the polymer model.

P.S.  This is not a flame against all Kimber 1911's.  I have seen single stack pistols perform flawlessly.  Just trying to keep somebody else from wasting this kind of cash.

Live free
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a SS Ultra Carry in front of me right now.  I've shot some of the cheapest ammo their is and it's functioned flawlessly even though it's the tightest semi-auto I've ever owned.  Nice trigger pull and suprisingly accurate for such a short barrel.  Once I get night sights installed, it'll be complete.  I chose to but it over the LEGP.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:54:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Clackamas Custom Classic SER# 3XXX  It has gone BOOM! more times than I can count and Its just as tight as the brand new one I fondled at the gun show last week.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Got one, love it, you will too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I guess I'll be the first to say I HATE my Kimber, which isn't too bad out of 33 replies. Here's why;

Kimber's are butt fucking ugly. See that picture of the CDP on the 1st page ? That isn't the 1911 JMB blessed the world with. That's an abomination that should be kept locked in a box to never see the light of day. Kimber's are 1911's for the tactical guys. They're used to Glocks and HK's and have a hard time making the transition to a gun that doesn't look ridiculous. The difference is, on the plastic guns form follows function and actually serves a purpose.

Aesthetics aside, the original fits my hand better. The cookie cutter "custom" Kimber is  annoyingly uncomfortable. The Sh!t McCormick parts don't cut it. My particular gripes are:

1. Trigger (too long)
2. Grip safety (positions the hand uncomfortably)
3. Sights (useless beyond 7 yards)
4. Mainspring housing (plastic)
5. Forward slide serrations (BUTT FUGLY)
6. Inferior parkerized finished (rubbed off like chalk)
7. chunky frontstrap (not as comfortable as a Colt)

And if that wasn't enough, the MIM parts (specifically the sear and hammer), and the quality of steel used in the frame is not confidence inspiring.

There you go, an unhappy Kimber owner (Who will happily trade for a good+ Colt 70 series).
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:22:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Dungus

You could also try Para limited versions.  You might like them.

The P16 .40 Limited and P14 Limited .45 are nice shooters out of box.

I have a colt m1991A1 series 80 is nice but I had to spend 3 times the amount to get it customized.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Oh yeah, Kimbers do have one problem.

Those adjustable sights are POS and will break after awhile.  I shot about 17,000 rounds in my Target model and the rear sight broke 2 times now.  I'm on the third rear shight.  If it breaks again I'm going to put a Bomar adjustable sight on it.  They have one for Kimber models.

Other than that they are great.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I never heard anything good about those MIM parts either. Hmm...
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 2:58:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Own and carry a Custom Stainless.  The only regret I have is not being able to attach a light easily for our SRT.

BUT other than that, it has shot everything I have put through it.  I have only had maybe three fail to feed and more than likely it was a fluke because it our team shoots often and it does very well.

We have several Glocks, two Hk's, one beretta and my kimber and when I do my part, the Kimber really smokes the others.

We had to do a hostage rescue drill and it required clearing leather on the move, giving voice commands and put two rounds into the head of the bad guy with hostage - at about 15 feet.  The kimber spoke twice.  You could nearly cover the holes with a quater.  The other pistols couldn't even come close.  I am  only a fair shot but my Kimber sure makes it look easy.

Buy a Kimber and you will never regret it!  
ARLady - naw............
got to run......bad guys on the move....more later......

pakrat - out
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:45:09 AM EDT
[#38]
I also have the SS Ultra Carry,
It shoots anything I feed it and is very accurate for a small barrel.
I love it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:50:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

well, if you aren't, it had better be my wedding gift!  (no comment about the lesbian thing?  i'm surprised.)
View Quote

Yeah Matt...no comment.  I guess that's a whole other thread.  

Arlady you sure know how we think!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:04:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Have a Kimber Gold Match...great gun, no problems...unlike the Colt Gold Cup I used to own.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 5:46:10 AM EDT
[#41]
I agree, the eclipse is a beautiful gun. The barrel is 4 inches though, same size as my pro carry.  With any gun, especially one you are going to use for defensive purposes, you should run some rounds through it before you can trust it. On 1911s, if your having trouble with jams, its probably a misadjusted extractor or junk magazines.  Kimbers come ramped and throated for feeding hollowpoints and on the eclipse, you get checkered front strap, nightsights, ambi-safety, good barrel and bushing all in a very cool looking gun.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Woot, just put my money down on a Pro Eclipse! Now all I gotta do is get back home to pick it up. Life is good!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a SS Classic. The slide fails to lock after the last round 50-60% of the time, irrespective of magazine or ammo. I know of at least one other person who has had this same problem, requiring the slide stop to be replaced. I will have to do the same.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:35:03 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm seriously considering the Eclipse 5" model, however the 4" model with fixed night-sights is probably a better defense gun. I never liked adjustable sights in guns that can get banged around. What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Just like BigDozer66, I too have a Pro-CDP.

Very accurate and reliable!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Matt,  I have an all steel pro carry sle.  If you can ever break away email me and I will let you give it a spin.  My favorite handgun BTW.  I would like to get the 5" eclipse as my next handgun, as I already have the commander size.  Plus here in Cali, since we can't carry it doesn't make much difference the size of the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2001 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have a SS Classic. The slide fails to lock after the last round 50-60% of the time, irrespective of magazine or ammo. I know of at least one other person who has had this same problem, requiring the slide stop to be replaced. I will have to do the same.
View Quote
I have heard that that is a problem that you can solve by replacing the slide stop with a Wilson part.  I intend to do this with mine.  I also intend to replace the mainspring housing as well.  Still, for the price you can't do any better.  A Les Baer or a Wilson Combat custom pistol is a much better gun than a Classic, but they're also twice the price.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 1:10:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Matt,  I have an all steel pro carry sle.  If you can ever break away email me and I will let you give it a spin.  My favorite handgun BTW.  I would like to get the 5" eclipse as my next handgun, as I already have the commander size.  Plus here in Cali, since we can't carry it doesn't make much difference the size of the pistol.
View Quote

Steve, thanks for the offer. You and me both. That 5" Eclipse looks like a good deal with all the custom shop features, but at a half-way reasonable price. I guess if I don't like the adjustable sights I can replace them later. I know how I'll be spending my unemployment check! Yahoo! :)

Which FFL would you use? I'm thinking of using my guy in Martinez.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#49]

I recently bought a Super Match. This is the ABSOLUTE finest pistol made. Buy the Kimber.
[%(]
Quoted:
I've never been a fan of the 1911, but a kimber caught my eye and I'm looking for reasons not to buy it.  Gun is the new Pro Eclipse, .45, 7 rounds total, 3" (or mayby 3 1/2" barrel).  Gun fits SO nice.  Is this gun worth the money?  Will be used strictly for conceal carry.  Buying guns somtimes isn't a rational decision, but I can't help but wonder if I'll be kicking myself if I DO buy it.  Heard that they can be finicky about ammo.  Any input on anybodys experience with the Kimber line would be appritiative.  Thks
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:17:22 AM EDT
[#50]
I have heard that that is a problem that you can solve by replacing the slide stop with a Wilson part
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top