Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 9:20:12 AM EDT
How many states allow a person to own automatic opening knives (switchblades)??

How about the "spring assist" type of knife (like a SOG TwitchII)??

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
AZ does, see them all over the place, sportsman warehouse even sells them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:37:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I fondled one agt the Sportsmans Warehouse here in Salem. It was a Benchmade Infidel. I would love to have it but $400 is a little out of my price range.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
California allows them (autos) if the blade is under 2".

Assisted opening are allowed if the user pushes on the blade to open it (not if its a separate button),
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:47:09 AM EDT
[#4]
No laws *yet* for spring-assisted that I know of.

But I say just give it a bit more time.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:51:46 AM EDT
[#5]
In NC switchblades are legal but ballistic projectile knives are even illegal for the police.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#6]
From what I understand Ky allows auto knife carry under the CCW laws.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
In VA there's no law against owning them, but ownership is considered proof of intent to sell, and selling them is illegal

Exceptions for police, military, firefighters, and EMS. I'm an EMS volunteer, but I don't have an auto, because I don't know the legality of carrying it when I'm not on duty and can't find it in the Virginia code (and the police officer I asked said they were illegal for me to have period, as I was in full squad uniform and as he had just opened his own auto to do something or other).

ETA:

Assisted-opening knives are fully legal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#8]
941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.

941.24(1)      
(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

941.24(2)      
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]

Texas Penal Code § 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS.
(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(5)  a switchblade knife;
(d)  It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
(1)  was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio;  or
(e)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.

tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/statutes/docs/PE/content/pdf/pe.010.00.000046.00.pdf
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
(d)  It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
(1)  was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio;  or
(e)  An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree unless it is committed under Subsection (a)(5) or (a)(6), in which event, it is a Class A misdemeanor.

May I add;

(11)  "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade
that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:

(A)  opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or
other device located on the handle; or

(B)  opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by
the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:39:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

May I add;

I(may have) bought one at the gun show last year, My understanding is that in TX you can have one at home but illegal to carry.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

May I add;

I(may have) bought one at the gun show last year, My understanding is that in TX you can have one at home but illegal to carry.

They're legal to own in Texas, but it's individual CITIES that decide if they're illegal to carry. At least, that's how I always heard it from various cops. Probably best to just look it up ourselves.

I saw quite a few at the Saxet gun show in San Antonio.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
941.24 Possession of switchblade knife.

941.24(1)      
(1) Whoever manufactures, sells or offers to sell, transports, purchases, possesses or goes armed with any knife having a blade which opens by pressing a button, spring or other device in the handle or by gravity or by a thrust or movement is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor.

941.24(2)      
(2) Within 30 days after April 16, 1959, such knives shall be surrendered to any peace officer.

this is funny - only because I know a guy that buys switchblades, and other auto knives in Mexico and sells them at flea markets in Wisconsin.

it is even more funny that the politicians that passed Wisc. Stat. 941.24(2) actually expected the good people of Wisconsin to turn in their knives. I wonder how many that actually got from that forced confiscation law.

I can picture some law like that being passed by the libtard gun-grabbers for our rifles and handguns (and hi-cap mags!!).

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
We can't have them in La.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:49:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

May I add;

(5) a switchblade knife;
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#16]
They're legal here in Florida, I own a Microtech Scarab

ETA: Then again what isnt legal here?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#17]
For laws on every state:

http://www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

Iowa allows possession and carry.

My city only allows carry up to 3.5", unless you have a CCW permit.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For laws on every state:

www.amatecon.com/switchblade.html

Iowa allows possession and carry.

My city only allows carry up to 3.5", unless you have a CCW permit.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a S&W S.W.A.T.  Auto ... You can buy them at just about any flea market in Georgia.    The switchblade law website in the prior posting is sort of misleading.  In GA you are not allowed to carry ANY KNIFE for self defense ... switchblade or not ... It is against the law to even use a knife in self-defense in GA ....  Guns are OK ... knifes are not ...  silly laws ...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top