Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 6:47:21 AM EDT
I like to hunt, it is hunting season and we were going to go out for Coyote this afternoon. Well I call my hunting buddy to see what time he wanted to meet and got the "I can't go" line. This really pisses me off, if you say you are going to go, then GO. If not then don't let others get all ready just to cancel at the last minute.

Well the hell with him, I'm still going!

I have another friend who says he wants to go shoot sporting clays for the past 2 years. He knows that I go every Sunday, but still cannot make the time to go. I have learned to only rely on myself as I am the only one I can trust to do what I say I am going to do.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Friends that let you down all the time aren't really friends...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Yup.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, friends that always let you down aren't really friends.   Heck, what side of IL you live in?  If you don't mind a noob going with, I'll come
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a friend that we call B.O.B. which stands for "back out Bennett"

His odds of following thru on plans are about 20%
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like to hunt, it is hunting season and we were going to go out for Coyote this afternoon. Well I call my hunting buddy to see what time he wanted to meet and got the "I can't go" line. This really pisses me off, if you say you are going to go, then GO. If not then don't let others get all ready just to cancel at the last minute.

I have another friend who says he wants to go shoot sporting clays for the past 2 years. He knows that I go every Sunday, but still cannot make the time to go. I have learned to only rely on myself as I am the only one I can trust to do what I say I am going to do.

I'd call him on it...

I'd say "listen dude, you've said you want to go shoot clays with me... you know I go EVERY Sunday, and for two years, you haven't come with.  That's 104 opportunities you've missed.  I ain't askin you to go with anymore. "
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Some people are learners and some or not....
Isn't one sign of mental illness to repeat the same action and expect a different reesult?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
some people pretend to be friends as long as it suits them.  I call them "users"!!!  They may be cool most of the times, but you can tell when they are only looking out for themselves and want to do the things they want to do.  But when it come time to do something YOU want to do, they never end up coming though.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:03:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yep, friends that always let you down aren't really friends.   Heck, what side of IL you live in?  If you don't mind a noob going with, I'll come

i'm right in the middle in Springfield. Where are you?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:07:42 AM EDT
[#9]
They are not really friends.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:10:52 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a design flaw in your friendships.  I get really ticked off when someone always cancels too.  The solution is to get better friends.  My friends are either all gay or loosers.  Either way, they tend not to have women and lives to tie them down.  Works pretty nice.  

Don't forget that when your friend gets married, your friendship will fall a tier from close friends to drinkin/hunting buddy.  Too bad but that's the circle of life.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:15:04 AM EDT
[#11]
When you depend on someone else for your happiness you will be disappointed, every time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Friends that let you down all the time.....

Means you are using the wrong term.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#13]
do not return their calls.  Do not initiate any more conversation with them.  Get some new friends.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#14]
flakes
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:20:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Try getting help to pour concrete....  Thats how I found out which ones were keepers.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
do not return their calls.  Do not initiate any more conversation with them.  Get some new friends.

that a hard thing to do when you get to be 30 or 40 or 50 years of age.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Try getting help to pour concrete....  Thats how I found out which ones were keepers.

Or any manual labor, for that matter.

They have no problem eating your food and drinking your beer but try to get them over to help build a deck and they disappear.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:25:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

...a big +1 to that.

I had another "friend" who wouldn't make any committments until the last minute.  Some friend, huh?  Just a slight variation on a theme.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
My brother is that way. I've offered to let him come shooting or come to my house to watch UFC fights - he never shows up. I would have killed to have an older brother that did those kind of things for me. I am done asking him.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I know plenty of people but I have one friend and as it turns out my friend only has one friend.
We dont have time for those who dont keep their word. Like minds
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Remember, a friend will help you move.

A BEST friend will help you move the body...
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah it kinda sucks.

I've got a couple friends that if I called them and said "Hey I need help moving TOMORROW" I know they would be there (if they weren't working).  And I know they wouldn't bullshit me if they didn't have to work.

I had another one that was going to help me move something one day...  "Oh I'm not coming".   Why?   "I just don't feel like it".    That PISSED me off.    Don't fucking tell me your going to help me and then call and say that.

He cancelled on me on a camping trip once too.    I was excited as hell about it a few weeks prior and he just kinda "huh, yeah I'll go".    

I kept asking him if he asked for the time off work, etc, and he would never really answer me.  I called it that he wouldn't go a week before, even though he still said he was.   Sure enough the day before I (we) were going to leave,   "hey man, I think I'm gonna just stay home this weekend".

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a friend just like that, too lazy to even get a damn job, much less help me out when i needed it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What are their board names?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or any manual labor, for that matter.

They have no problem eating your food and drinking your beer but try to get them over to help build a deck and they disappear.

Week1: Put out the word that you need help building a deck.

Week2: Build the deck.

Week3: Put out the word that you are having a party to commemorate the building of said deck.

Compare attendence results.

Sell house.  Buy new house.

Week1: Put out the word that you need help building a deck.  Open ice chest.

Week2: Build the deck.

Week3: Put out the word that you are having a party to commemorate the building of said deck.  Open bar.

Compare attendence results.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Friends that let you down all the time....dont remain as friends.
I have no issue cutting the dead wood from my life every so often.
I have had friends that over time became less and less reliable....flaky....whatever.
Sometimes distance is the best thing. I dont have time in my life for people that act weird. If I find myself going out of my way to keep in touch with people, I usually just let it lapse and eventually lose contact with folks. It happens...but I dont have the energy to sustain friendships that are based on little more than memories of fun I had years ago.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I been avoiding most the ones that do that these days
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'm right in the middle in Springfield. Where are you?

Down towards St. Louis...  Collinville/Edwardsville area.  Think that's like an hour or two away... I think.  Been forever since I've driven upstate at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Just want to +1 the concept that people who let you down are not friends.

They are leeches, parasites, or any other word you wish to use for someone who tends to benefit from knowing you while you don't benefit from knowing them.

I dumped all those folks a few years after I was out of high school.  Most of them were former high school buddies who fit the definition of parasite all too well.

I have one best friend.  He will drop what he is doing and jump in his truck and be on the way if I call.  I have done the same for him.

I have a couple good friends.  I benefit from knowing them and they benefit from knowing me.  But they are not the type you call for moving bodies.  These are the guys who help fill out the hunting or quad riding group and what not.  They are fun but now and then things mess up a bit.

All the former friends are just people I nod to as I pass them on the sidewalk or whatever.  I don't make plans with them, I don't want to hang around them, and my life is better off with them no longer near me.

Don't waste your time on people who waste your time.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Having a family farm, with 100acres of woods...
"Friends are coming from everywhere to ask to deer hunt.

Hey, I am scraping, priming, and painting the trim to the house, can you help me?
Only one friend showed up...

NO, no more hunting, or target shooting here. Go to the State property, and these public pay ranges... thats what I say now!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Having a family farm, with 100acres of woods...
"Friends are coming from everywhere to ask to deer hunt.

Hey, I am scraping, priming, and painting the trim to the house, can you help me?
Only one friend showed up...

NO, no more hunting, or target shooting here. Go to the State property, and these public pay ranges... thats what I say now!

Can I hunt on your land?  I've always wanted to shoot Winnie the Pooh.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top