Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 8:31:59 PM EDT
Cleaned it earlier today with windex, then a regular cleaning.

This evening after reading several of your posts and doing some other research I:

Used HOT soapy water and ran a patch thru the bbl like a plunger with the bbl emersed in the soapy water. After several several passes I wiped down the rifle with the soapy water. Then washed all the soapy water away with clean water. Let it drip dry, then used my air compressor to blow out any remaining water in the bbl.

Sprayed the bbl with w d 40.

sprayed everything with wd 40.

then did a regular cleaning of the rifle.

My concern is: Will water that seeps into the voids of the wood do any damage? Or is this wood treated with something. Hopefully It was, asuming that this rifle could be in any type of environment.

thanks for your time and responses.

Scott
Nashville TN.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#1]
if the stock is original it is probably shellacked pretty well, I wouldn't worry too much about a few drops of water.
ETA: YMMV of course, I'm used to AZ humidity levels.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:35:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
if the stock is original it is probably shellacked pretty well, I wouldn't worry too much about a few drops of water.
ETA: YMMV of course, I'm used to AZ humidity levels.

Hey, here in tennessee, we've gotten up to 100 percent in the summer time. But we always have high humidity. It really does suck sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
They did not call off WW2 because of rain showers.  I would wipe it down, coat the underside metal with a bit of oil and call it good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
to be on the safe side, I would leave it out for several days, prefferebly near the heater so it will dry out completly

do not store it in the safe at this time if it has been immersed in water, it needs to breath.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:11:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Instead of going through all that why not use a water based cleaner such as MPro7?   You can get it at Brownells.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Cleaned it earlier today with windex, then a regular cleaning.

This evening after reading several of your posts and doing some other research I:

Used HOT soapy water and ran a patch thru the bbl like a plunger with the bbl emersed in the soapy water. After several several passes I wiped down the rifle with the soapy water. Then washed all the soapy water away with clean water. Let it drip dry, then used my air compressor to blow out any remaining water in the bbl.

Sprayed the bbl with w d 40.

sprayed everything with wd 40.

then did a regular cleaning of the rifle.

My concern is: Will water that seeps into the voids of the wood do any damage? Or is this wood treated with something. Hopefully It was, asuming that this rifle could be in any type of environment.

thanks for your time and responses.

Scott
Nashville TN.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I didnt emerse the whole rifle, just the end of the bbl, then pulled the swab thru so that it would draw the soapy water up thru the bbl. Then i took the sprayer from the sink and washed it clean. So it wasnt fully emersed.

Completely dissasembled the bolt without directions.. and gave it a good ole cleaning.Pretty good huh.. Lucky really.  But It was great fun. I am proud to own this rifle.

Oh and thanks for the smart ass response about cancelling wwII for rain. That was a good chuckle.

Scott
Nashville TN.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top