Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 9:15:13 AM EDT
I applied for a job a few months ago. It was advertised as a civilian Army recruiter. I thought it sounded kind of strange, but apparently the Army is hiring civilians to recruit new soldiers. Anyway, I got a call today asking if I was still interested in being a recruiter. The base pa is around $22,000, use of a government vehicle, laptop, and cell phone. There are bonuses paid for the number of recruits you get to sign up each month. They also said I would be sent to Ft. Jackson to attend the US Army recruiting school. Does anyone here have experience with this? Any civilian recruiters here?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
The pay doesn't make me believe the Pentagon is very serious about fielding a successful program.

On the other hand, after recruiter school, you will be able to get a job as a car salesman and probably do extremely well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]
This seems like an astonishingly bad idea to me.........

But then again, it would free soldiers up to be soldiers,
and civilians would have the same line of horseshit forced into
thier mouths that present recruiters do.....

Ok, changed my mind.  Sounds good.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This seems like an astonishingly bad idea to me.........

But then again, it would free soldiers up to be soldiers,
and civilians would have the same line of horseshit forced into
thier mouths that present recruiters do.....

Ok, changed my mind.  Sounds good.

With the problems with AD recruiters telling lies to get poeople in, breaking rules, etc, I find it hard to believe that this program will not garner a whole bunch more major problems.

After all, AD recruiters only had the station to lose, not their income.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
IMO one of the worst things the DOD has done is gone to this whole contractor thing.  I understand the premise is the military gets "just in time delivery" of services and can keep a smaller set of Soldiers (insert service of preference here) but I think it has failed.

Bad food, in the old days the Commander went to see the mess sergeant or the Support Platoon Leader and make it clear the poor food would not be tolerated.  Now the contract is the issue and as such is resolved in the way breachs of contract are settled, i.e. with attorneys.

Need PSD guys?  Higher Blackwater, who BTW just hired away your last SF/SEAL/MEUSOC guy who now costs you twice as much.

So what I am saying is this - Please don't enable the DOD in this contracting scheme.\

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I was an Army recruiter and worked with a civilian Army Reserve recruiter.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend the job on an open basis.  One station will be in an area where the propensity to join is high and another will be in an area where the military is seen as the employer of last resort.   Unless you know where you will be working in advance, and have talked with all of the service recruiters in the area,  don't bet the farm on staying around over 6 months.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top