Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2006 1:27:50 PM EDT
I love my dog. He doesnt bark at night. He's good with my kids. He listens to me.  BUT, He digs giant holes in my yard and flower gardens. Now I've caught him red handed digging said holes and scalded him. It does no good. my house is 3/4 fenced, but for now he is kept in the side yard until I can get his hole digging under control. I like to give him access to the whole area for security purposes. Any suggestions?

he's the one on the left
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
shock collar.

put it on him and when he starts his digging zap him.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Scald him with hotter water!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:31:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Cut off his paws.

Hes bored thats why hes digging.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Dogs dig out of boredom and a need for exercise.  Unless you want to concrete your back yard, the only way you'll get him to stop is if you exercise him.  Even if you concreted your back yard, chances are he'd find other ways of tearing things up ... Wires into your house, things you leave laying the yard, jumping the fence and so forth.  I don't think there's a short cut here.  If you find one that WORKS you'll be a millionaire.

ETA:  I hope those aren't boxers ...  They don't make good outside dogs.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Cut off his paws.

+1, beat me to it.

Mine digs if it's hot out and she wants a cool place to lay. Seen a lot of dogs do that. My buddy's dog would dig under the deck, so he ended up putting rock down to discourage the dog. Seems to work.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Exercise, exercise, exercise!

And no, just letting your dog run around with another dog in the backyard is not enough.

Minimum of an hour a day walking/jogging him, plus some play time, and the hole digging should stop.

ETA: He's a good looking dog!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Dogs dig out of boredom and a need for exercise.  Unless you want to concrete your back yard, the only way you'll get him to stop is if you exercise him.  Even if you concreted your back yard, chances are he'd find other ways of tearing things up ... Wires into your house, things you leave laying the yard, jumping the fence and so forth.  I don't think there's a short cut here.  If you find one that WORKS you'll be a millionaire.

ETA:  I hope those aren't boxers ...  They don't make good outside dogs.

Cane Corso ?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#10]
When he's done with a real deep one, bury him in it.

Beautiful animal.

Excercise, maybe have him pull you around the block on rollerblades.

My dogs dig dens under the bushes, where they can't be seen.

Does he have a doghouse?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Take away his shovel...

Unless the dog is digging a hole to find a cool spot to lay in, then it is probably because it needs/desires more attention from the pack Alpha, or exercise, or BOTH.  Could also be trying to get a booty call...
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#12]
oc spray the ground.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:46:34 PM EDT
[#13]
toys
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Call the police.  They'll probably have some sort of an idea.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#15]
well I'de love to be able to go jogging with him everyday, but I work 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I'm way to tired.   I have seen him dig a hole and crawl in it during the summer, I know he's doing that to keep cool.  

As to what kind of dog he is I got him from at the flea market for 40 bucks. The girl told me he was a pitbull,  If he is pit he's not fullblood. I really dont know what he is. He has long legs, and loves the water. He will retrieve stuff , I never taught him that he just does it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:08:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Take away his shovel...

Unless the dog is digging a hole to find a cool spot to lay in, then it is probably because it needs/desires more attention from the pack Alpha, or exercise, or BOTH.  Could also be trying to get a booty call...

Dog is bored needs more exercise.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Cut off his paws.

Hes bored thats why hes digging.

beat me to it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#19]
He's bored. "Work" his ass off 1/2 hour or so ... daily. He'll stop. He's a thoroughbred (even if only in heart) If YOU don't give him a job ... He'll give himself one. And it looks like he has. Now you gotta give him a new one.      
Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my two dogs a sand box. They dig in the sand box now. I just refil it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I got my two dogs a sand box. They dig in the sand box now. I just refil it.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I can assure you our dogs get plenty of exercise. They've got a large farm to run around on. They are better fed than me. And they dig and dig and dig and never will stop. I've given up and decided to accept them as they are so as to be more diverse and all.

Here's our two wild farm dogs. We found both abandoned and very ill when they were about six weeks old. They are true POS but we love them anyway.

Our two wild boys:

Some of their work:

One wild boy caught live in action:
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
well I'de love to be able to go jogging with him everyday, but I work 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I'm way to tired.  

Then why do you have a dog?

People with this mentality piss me off...if you're not willing to put in the time and work it takes to have a normal, healthy, well-balanced dog, or if you just plain don't have the time to devote to the dog, why would you bring one home and make their life miserable by cooping them up in a backyard, and then scold them for a situation that you created?

How would you enjoy sitting around the house, all day, every day, with nothing to do other than eating and sleeping? You'd probably go nuts trying to entertain yourself. That's what your dog is going through.

My advice, take him to a shelter or give him to someone who has the time, or is willing to make the time, to take care of him properly.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:43:27 PM EDT
[#24]
How do you get your dog to stop digging?

Easy.

Take a balloon and put it into one of his holes that he dug. Put a light covering of sand on top of the balloon to hide it. When Fido goes to finish his hole digging...POW!

Works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I can assure you our dogs get plenty of exercise. They've got a large farm to run around on. They are better fed than me. And they dig and dig and dig and never will stop. I've given up and decided to accept them as they are so as to be more diverse and all.

Here's our two wild farm dogs. We found both abandoned and very ill when they were about six weeks old. They are true POS but we love them anyway.

Our two wild boys:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/militariastufflioneltrack017.jpg

Some of their work:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/militariastufflioneltrack014.jpg

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/militariastufflioneltrack013.jpg

Damm Those are foxholes!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
shock collar.

put it on him and when he starts his digging zap him.

Yep, he won't associate the shock to you, he will attribute it to digging.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]
sell him.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Toss some of their own shit in the hole and fill the hole back in.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#29]
My dog dug when she was a puppy. My dad kept refilling her holes but she'd go back to the exact same spots every time she felt like digging. We ended up letting her keep one hole that daddy wouldn't fill back up. She stopped digging after that.

I do agree with what someone else said though...if you don't have the time, don't get a dog. They need love and attention just like humans do. You wouldn't adopt a kid if you didn't have enough time to take care of him/her; same principle with a pet. So many people have dogs in my neighborhood that stay chained to a tree. It depresses me to see them like that. I'm not an animal rights activist or anything but if you're going to bring a pet home, you need to take care of it. If you don't have the time, give it to someone who does.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My dog dug when she was a puppy. My dad kept refilling her holes but she'd go back to the exact same spots every time she felt like digging. We ended up letting her keep one hole that daddy wouldn't fill back up. She stopped digging after that.

I do agree with what someone else said though...if you don't have the time, don't get a dog. They need love and attention just like humans do. You wouldn't adopt a kid if you didn't have enough time to take care of him/her; same principle with a pet. So many people have dogs in my neighborhood that stay chained to a tree. It depresses me to see them like that. I'm not an animal rights activist or anything but if you're going to bring a pet home, you need to take care of it. If you don't have the time, give it to someone who does.  

+1

and one other thing too . . . don't get any dogs if you aren't willing to give up your extra $$$ for pizzas, beers, DVDs, CDs, guns, ammo, power tools, vacations, et al to pay for all their vet bills!!!

Our mutts live like elitist kings around this place while poor me has to bum off my buddies for an extra bullet, or a cold beer. Poor 'ol me!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#31]
You can get a sandbox and hide it's toys in that.

If he plays fetch or is ball crazy..

get two tennis balls. Throw one and as soon as he brings one to your feet pitch the other. Keep repeating this untill his ass starts dragging.

Or build them a spring pole to play with. It's like a springy limb or poll with a string and a ball on it. The dog can jump and try to get the ball.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#32]

Looks like hes digging you trenches or pre dug mine holes for when the SHTF, you should consider yourself fortunate. Most dogs just litter peoples yards with the stinky land mines, looks like a intruder could break a ankle in your yard.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:46:35 PM EDT
[#33]
9mm  double tap  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 3:56:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Toss some of their own shit in the hole and fill the hole back in.

yep
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont have this problem....it would be easier to dig a hole through pavement than through our dirt (well I should say clay but ya know)
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Buy him a Kong and stuff it with peanut butter when you have to go somewhere.  It will keep him VERY busy.  Also, you can fill it with a big treat he will have to eat out a little at a time.  Good luck!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
He needs more exercise. Run him from your bike.

Yup, has way too much excess energy. Needs to burn it off.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

and one other thing too . . . don't get any dogs if you aren't willing to give up your extra $$$ for pizzas, beers, DVDs, CDs, guns, ammo, power tools, vacations, et al to pay for all their vet bills!!!

Our mutts live like elitist kings around this place while poor me has to bum off my buddies for an extra bullet, or a cold beer. Poor 'ol me!

My dog is the queen at my house. My mom would throw my dad out of the house before she'd even consider letting Dakota sleep outside lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:43:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:00:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
well I'de love to be able to go jogging with him everyday, but I work 12 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I'm way to tired.  

Then why do you have a dog?

People with this mentality piss me off...if you're not willing to put in the time and work it takes to have a normal, healthy, well-balanced dog, or if you just plain don't have the time to devote to the dog, why would you bring one home and make their life miserable by cooping them up in a backyard, and then scold them for a situation that you created?

How would you enjoy sitting around the house, all day, every day, with nothing to do other than eating and sleeping? You'd probably go nuts trying to entertain yourself. That's what your dog is going through.

My advice, take him to a shelter or give him to someone who has the time, or is willing to make the time, to take care of him properly.

I understand where you're coming from but that's a little harsh.  Plus, not all breeds require as much love and care.  Our two boxers are house dogs and do pretty much everything the family does (when we're allowed to take them anyway).  Some folks want a nice quiet "porch dog" and not all breeds are well suited to that.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#41]
I dunno.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Time to pave your dog pen...concrete would work too. j/k

Otherwise I think your dogs might be bored, any way to exercise them more?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:21:53 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Our two wild boys:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/militariastufflioneltrack017.jpg

Some of their work:
i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/militariastufflioneltrack014.jpg

i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/ReelVirginian1861/militariastufflioneltrack013.jpg

That is frikken amazing, they are not stupid they are excavation savants.

My sister-in-law had the same problem with her "stupid" dog. One day the dog finally reached its intended target, a hutch full of baby rabbits. It has never done it since.

I also have a friend who inherited a yip-yip dog when he moved in with his fiancee. When they go to work it digs holes in their carpets in the house , so things could definitely be worse.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:22:31 PM EDT
[#44]
LEt him dig the hole, then shoot him and bury him in it!

Problem solved and I saved you some money that would have gone to Dog Chow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top