Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2006 7:07:53 PM EDT
My son in law and I went to the local range this afternoon. It's a very small range with two, two man tables and 100 yards maximum.  The only thing good about it is anything goes.  There were three Fudds sighting in their "muzzle loaders" for next weekends muzzle loader only deer season opener. The weapons were technically muzzle loaders but the spirit of the ancient gun was totaly wrung out of them. Bolt action, shotgun primered, saboted round firing, pelletized powder burning machines.  Their groups were less than my old CVA kit gun could produce with a fouled barrel.  I didn't even try to school them.

Then there was this other guy.  A borderline Fudd but with much potential to convert. He was extremely interested in my AR15 and we talked at least an hour about the workings and operation of the weapon. The smile he had after I let him shoot some oranges at 75 yards was something special. He was there to test a few rounds through his custom 6.5-06 varmint gun. The group that it produced with a crude rest was impressive. About one inch at 100 yards, eight rounds.  He said he just wanted to run a few through to see he had the load right.  This guy doesn't shoot any factory ammo in his guns except his .22s. When I burned a 30 round mag as fast as I could get on target and you could cover them all with less than a hand, he was hooked. I told him to look into a flat top for a dedicated scope gun since that's what he likes to shoot.  He dumped a 30 round mag and that was the clencher.

I did my part today to convert a non believer.

When I unloaded the cannon, everybody there stopped and came over to watch. There is something about a cannon, no matter how small, that brings out the kid in shooters. I had forgotten my rammer so I spliced together some AR cleaning rods to seat the charge and projectile. The 4000 grain slug tumbled and my two shot group was about 30" at 100 yards but dayum we had a good time!

Tomorrow, I clean!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Fine show!
Good job!

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
When did you start smoking?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
When did you start smoking?

Actually, that's the good Dr.Hunter S. Thompson congratulating you above, as for me, up until about 3 months ago, been a smoker for years and years.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Where's the damn cannon pics?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

My camera foo is non-existant. I piss my money away on goofy shit like food and electricity.  A camera is way down on my list of shit to buy and if you ever saw me you would know why I don't dig cameras.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My camera foo is non-existant. I piss my money away on goofy shit like food and electricity.  A camera is way down on my list of shit to buy and if you ever saw me you would know why I don't dig cameras.

I've seen him, and it's pretty damned rough, folks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Care to explain the cannon? or do we just have to hear about it in abstract?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Care to explain the cannon? or do we just have to hear about it in abstract?

4' of 1" XXX heavy wall pipe mounted on a carriage with 36" wheels that I made myself.  I cannibalized a C-clamp to make an elevator for it. The trail is five pieces of 5/8" plywood laminated. I made a double cavity mold that is 1.oo diameterX 1.750 long for a 4000 grain projectile.  the 400 grains of Pyrodex are made into paper cartridges. I spotfaced, drilled and tapped for a musket nipple and then fabricated a slap hammer that serves double duty as the rear sight.  The front sight is a 1/4" turn buckle, less the top eyebolt. Sometime soon I hope to make a rifling jig to; you guessed it, rifle this 4 bore and mount a red dot on it.  

There is about 4' of the pipe left over that will one day become a shoulder fired, underhammer, singleshot, rifled 4 bore. mi will use round balls that I will cast myself and since i'm a do it yourself kind of guy, I will make my own powder too.

A man has to have some goal to aim for of he will wither and die.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#9]
The definition of a Fudd is he can not be converted, this guy was not a Fudd.

A Fudd would have grumbled and put his nose out of joint at the sight of your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:10:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My definition of a Fudd is he can not be converted, this guy was not a Fudd.

A Fudd would have grumbled and put his nose out of joint at the sight of your rifle.

There you go.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#11]
You did good.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 4:33:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, so maybe the guy wasn't a genuine "fudd", but he got someone to not be so judgemental of a self loading, not neccessarily for hunting with a various capacity magazine fed rifle that may or may not have a bayonet lug.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:00:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Maybe he was a "Fudd Lite."
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Just because a guy at the range only has a muzzle loader doesn't mean he is a Fudd, and us hunters know the difference between modern muzzle loaders and a Hawkin.

That being said, glad you  converted someone and had a good time at the range, just realize that not everything is what it seems and you can't assume anything at the range.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:21:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's funny
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:07:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

yes you can.

you haven't seen our fudds down here. ELMER was named after THEM!
That bad huh?  We have ours as well, I was just pointing out that just because someone is there with a muzzle loader it isn't automatic that he is a dumbass.  

I avoid public ranges from now until the end of December. Cold weather keeps the dumbass's away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Good stuff.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:19:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I would like to request, nay demand cannon pics. Lets not let our priorities get jumbled up.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would like to request, nay demand cannon pics. Lets not let our priorities get jumbled up.

Lovin mother of god!!

Not just pics.  We want plans!!!
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 11:34:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lovin mother of god!!

Not just pics.  We want plans!!!

Like I said, 1" bore X 4' long barrel.  The rest was made by me.  It's a toy but that 4000 grain projectile is all bidniss.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good stuff.

"BE-Fuddled"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top