Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2001 5:15:36 AM EDT
Here is a very interesting story that I hadn't heard before. It tells of a man telling his wife over his cell-phone that he and two others were 'going to do something!'

The story is found at:[url]http://www.newschannel2000.com/sh/news/stories/nat-news-95625820010911-070921.html[/url]

"A cellphone conversation between a passenger and his wife may indicate that an act of heroism may have kept one of the airplanes from doing damage and taking more innocent lives.

"Tom Burnett, a passenger aboard United Flight 93, reportedly called his wife Deena and told her that the plane he was traveling on had been hijacked and that someone had been stabbed, according to the Knight Ridder news service. Burnett then told his wife “We’re all gonna die, but three of us are going to do something.”

"Burnett then reportedly told his wife “I love you honey” before the call ended. United Flight 93 crashed just southeast of Pittsburgh. It was the only hijacked flight of four that didn’t crash into a building Tuesday.

"A senior administration official said that the plane that crashed near Pittsburgh was viewed at the time as a potential threat to the White House and was a major reason for the evacuation of the presidential mansion shortly before the plane crashed.

"It was not known whether the White House, or perhaps Camp David in the Maryland mountains near the Pennsylvania border, was indeed the target."

We may have just discovered another hero from yesterday's events.

Eric The(NameAnAirportAfterHim)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
[size=6] BIG [/size=6] lump..........in my throat......

[>(]

Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:23:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I say that those three people get a congressional medal of honor, no matter what the circumstances are. That's the kind of people that make you proud to live here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:53:43 AM EDT
[#5]
There's no telling how many lives those three possibly  saved by their unselfish, heroic act.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]
The Rest Of Us are going "To Do Something" also.  Very soon.

Heros one and all.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
If this is what happened, those people are heroes of a sort you don't see very often and they deserve the gratitude of a whole nation.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 5:59:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought something like this might happen. My question is why the hell didnt anyone else do anything? If all these guys had were knives and there were only three or four of them, why the hell didnt a couple of guys "nut up" and do something. Damn, I feel so helpless in all of this.

Ranger Out
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Post from ABN-RGR -
I thought something like this might happen. My question is why the hell didnt anyone else do anything? If all these guys had were knives and there were only three or four of them, why the hell didnt a couple of guys "nut up" and do something. Damn, I feel so helpless in all of this.
View Quote

I know I thought the same way, but if I were on a plane trapped with children and infants and I thought that the [b]only[/b] misfortune the passengers were facing was a quick trip to Algiers, Kabul, wherever, I might not be too quick to act either!  Just another routine hi-jacking, that's all!

It may be that on Flight 77 the terrorists did something (like maybe kill two stewardesses) that indicated to the three men that this was no ordinary hijacking!  Maybe the pilot overheard radio broadcasts of the WTC crash? It may be that we'll never know.

Under these circumstances, this was no routine
hi-jacking and I would have, hopefully, done the same thing!

Eric The(ReallySaddened)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[size=6] BIG [/size=6] lump..........in my throat......

[>(]

View Quote

Yes, me too...except the lump didn't stay there.  It's going to be a very emotional day.  I have never felt so many things at once before.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:31:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have to agree with the HUN on this one. Most people may have assumed just another "normal" Hi-jacking. At least, at first. I think the terrorists got a freebie on this series of attacks. Now people will realize just how crazy these MFs are. Expect to see armed sky marshals on future flights, coupled with much tigher security. Business will not be as usual.

Indeed, if the terrs were stopped by a few courageous passengers, what heroes they are!

God bless...
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:37:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Heard on the news that until yesterday, there hasn't been a plane hijacking in the US for 10 years.  Perhaps that had something to do with passengers' reluctance to overcome ******* with knives.  We're not used to this.  I think this attitude will change.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I would imagine that we have no idea just how much these events are going to change air travel in the United States!

Whether it's armed sky marshalls, bans on carry on luggage, interminable waits at the terminal, serious inspections, whatever, it won't simply be a matter of arriving at the airport and jumping on your plane any longer.

Eric The(AnyWayWeLose,ButOtherwiseTHEYWin!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Maybe they got wind of the WTC bombing over the cell phone, and reacted accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:58:39 AM EDT
[#15]
EricTheHun, thanks for the post. I too saw this and it restored my faith in Americans who don't take anything lying down.

Many heros from yesterday, but these 3 should especially be remembered. They alone prevented their plane from becoming a fourth missle.

Reporst speculate the target as being Camp David or someplace in Washington D.C. Given the symbolic nature of the previous targets I cannot see Camp David being the intended target. I would wager THIS flight would have been flown into the White House or the Capitol Building.

In addition, please consider the possibility that the terrorist pilot did not crash intentionally but was overpowered. No matter what the terrorist pilot would have continued on to his target. Unless he was being overtaken by force and the plane went down during the struggle.

Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Eric,

I hadn't seen this before.  I concluded that something like this had to have happened (I posted to this effect elsewhere).

As mentioned, prior to the day, the risk of death during a hijacking was very low.  But in many of the phone conversations, people mentioned that the hijackers were slashing passengers and crew and they were informing them that they were all going to die.

From now on, we can't just sit and wait for the "negotiations."

May we never forget the many heroes of this day.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#17]
As has been said repeatedly, yesterday will change a lot of things in this country. One will be that we cannot take it for granted that a hi-jacking is going to be a hum-drum affair.
A spirited and overwhelming physical attack of any future hi-jacker is now the proper response!

But the bad guys realize that, too, so I doubt they will use the same techniques again.

Then again, who knows?

Eric The(WeHaveANestOfVipersThatNeedsToBeWipedOut)Hun[>]:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top