Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 5:42:27 PM EDT
My wheaten terrier scrounges up rocks in the yard and brings them into the house...
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OAAgVJ0TSB2VRSmajn1HdkeA5PWMxPuRyWoBOprkwReuDoEIzglqqc3pFVeYXL0jRvi!GRBEHMIGjXKDXkrQyDMzOEhMMDA1/bed-boxers3.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#3]
will chase a flashlight pointed on the ground all day long
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Litterally chews up rocks and spits out gravel.

Body-slams the back door when she wants to go outside.

Tries to lick Texasfamily dry when we step out of the shower (motherly instict?)

Wraps her fore-paws around our legs and pulls our shoes off when we try to leave the house without her.

Tries to "bite" the water coming out of the hose or sprinklers.

I think she sees dead people.

[img]http://users2.ev1.net/~texason/Txdiv~43.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine tries to hump spayed girls, pees on people on occasion, and loves to eat dryer lint.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#6]
My girls love to eat a roll of toilet paper as if it was an apple.  They love tissues and dryer lint as well.  They also have spaz moments where they will run around the house at top speed, usually doing some sort of figure 8 and then will crash and fall asleep.  They also haven't figured out you can't stand up under a coffee table.

sfoo- watch the humping thing, it is about dominance and not sex.  Same with the peeing. If he ever starts doing it with people correct him right away in no uncertain terms.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My Jack Russell Terrier goes balistic when we tell her to "get the kitty" whenever we see a stray cat in our backyard. However, She stares blankley, when we give the same command and point out our Persian cat. The two were raised together with our three other dogs. The dogs think that the cat is just an ugly 5th dog. At one time, after we moved into into our new house, the cat ate from the dog bowl with the rest of the dogs. I guess he was scared in the new environment and wanted to bond. A year later, he's a typical stuck up Persian who ignores everyone. Go figure      
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 9:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sometimes my dog gets this look in his eye, and if I'm sitting on a low couch, will attack me as I start to get up.
Charges me hard enough to knock me back unto the couch, and then starts nipping me on the neck. When I start pushing him away, he turns it up a notch, nipping me all over and keeps lunging, trying to push me back.
I just about laugh myself hoarse.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
will chase a flashlight pointed on the ground all day long
View Quote

At the next gun show, get yourself a laser pointer with a couple sets of batteries, under $10 It's worth it for watching the dog.
KenS
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]
My spayed female border collie, likes to mount and hump the neutered male cat that lives with us.

It's funny dog will play chase a bit then get aggressive and grab the cat and throw it down like some sextoy and start pounding away.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#12]
My dog runs full speed into the sliding glass doors, guess he will never learn.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:48:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:00:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Selective intelligence....

Barks at the SAME mail truck that comes down the SAME street at the SAME time every day, but has figured out how to open the front door from the outside. The firat time it did this I did a search of my downstairs, AR in hand because I thought some one had walked into my home.

Selective Intelligence #2

Barks at a doorbell sound on TV, but within two days of installation of and invisible fence and shock collar had probed it, discerned all new boundries, figured out how close it could get to it wihtout receiving a shock, and at what speed to run through it so as to only receive the warning beep and not the shock. We since have gone up to instant high shock, it still just runs anyways, and eats the shock with a twitch and a yelp.

Just plain dumb......

It barks at the same rock every day for hours. It carries said rock (1.5 x larger than a softball) around to a different part of the yard to bark at it some more.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:46:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]

When I was in high school I had a german shorthaired pointer.  Great bird dog, but had three quirks:

1.  I could never break this dog of pointing airplanes.  Whenever we were out and a plane would fly over, he'd go on a perfect point and follow the plane with his nose till it was out of site.  

2.  He loved to eat my mother's daffadoils.  He would actually check them daily until they had fully opened and then would eat the flower.

3.  When he was about 3 he got to where he would want to go for a ride whenever the mood hit him. He would jump in the back of the truck and sit there till you took him for a ride.  If you tried to get him out, he'd growl and snap at you..but if you rode him around the block, he'd jump out and be happy.  One afternoon I had had enough and left him there.  It was in December and it started to rain...the next morning I went outside and he was still in the back of the truck, soaked to the skin.  I took him for a ride around the block, he jumped out and went to his dog house.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:45:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Calib (red chow chow) will look at me, and belch.

He eats ice, and lots of it.

If my wife and I are cuddling, he thinks its family time and butts in for his share of attention.

If we are wrestling on the floor, he will come over and growl, then mock like he is biting one of us.

If I am putting on my shoes, he will head butt me to get me to stop (he knows I am going somewhere).

Will eat anything, alive or dead.

The list goes on of the wierd stuff he does, but he is a good friend.

Dave

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:51:08 AM EDT
[#19]
My Yorkie plays with rocks, too!  He goes out in back and gets them, brings them in the house, and licks them, rolls them around and growls at them.

He's nuts, I think.

QS
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:24:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Good thread!  Bridgette, our 4yo Sheltie, has
TONS of energy she burns off daily.

We live down a long lane with the house farther
back down the lane then the barn.  She will sit
in the front yard, watching for traffic on the
road.  At the first sign of a car turning down
the road, she rear up on her hind legs, runs
around and imaginary 2.5' circle 3 or 4 times,
then tear across the drive, races parallel with
the car around the barn (still about 100yds from
the road) then returns back to her spot in the
front yard.  It's almost like she's winding her-
self up before she takes off.  Hilarious!!!!

She can't stand movement either, if something
moves, she barks at it, tries to pounce, bite
or otherwise immobilize it.  In the fall when
the wind blows fallen leaves, she'll stand in
the yard and try to catch every one.

She eats pears, and sweet corn.  The landlord
came by last fall complaining about how the
raccoons were tearing up his sweet corn.  I had
noticed the damage myself, but hadn't thought
too much about it until I saw Bridgette tear an
ear off the stalk, husk it, and proceed to eat
the corn off the ear.  She was even smart enough
to stay in the field - didn't drag the husks,
silk, etc up onto our property.  (I had to
chuckle - all that sweet corn torn up and not
a 'coon track anywhere...)

Then there was the time my sister took off on a
short trip and left us with 6 really young
rabbits in a broken down cage.  The first night
one of the escaped through one of the many holes
that needed repairing.  I patched the biggest
one, we never did find the rabbit.  The next day
they got loose again, but we found them all in
the garage, returned them after making more
repairs.  The next morning was Sunday, and having gotten up late, we didn't check on them
until after church.  Went out to the garage, NO
rabbits anywhere.  We couldn't find a single one.  Then I noticed Bridgette sulking around
by the barn, kinda sneaking peeks at us - I knew
just by looking at her she had a hand in it...

Out front, under the tire swing, were 5 very
dead young rabbits, properly lined up for a
body count, head to head/feet to feet.  She
had this look in her eye as to say

They wouldn't [b]STAY STILL!!!!!!![/b]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#22]
my dog fucks piggys

[img]http://fp.tomault.f9.co.uk/mating/image/dogpig2a.jpg[/img]

(not actually my dog, i own a doberman that doesn't do anything interesting)
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Ahhh where to begin with Darwin....
-Darwin eats rocks
-He has chewed every branch, off of every tree, that is within his reach up to about 2.5 inches in diameter.
-I caught him 2 years ago chewing on half a Rolling Rock Bottle.  The Vet said it could be the end but old iron gut just passed it through
-He chases the suns reflections on the ceilings inside our house
-he will ram his snout into the wall continuously if you point a laser light at it as if he could walk through it
-He will chase rabbits in the back yard and totally ignore the chain link fence they run through.  he winds up bouncing off the fence and then proceeds to jump up and bounce off the fence again just in case it isn't really there anymore.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#24]
My Jack Russel Terrier female looks just like the dog in "My Dog Skip" and the t.v.series "Frazier"(same dog).  

Her name is Taz.  She does so many crazy/strange things it would take me 3 pages to list them all.  She has more personality than any dog I've ever owned and is brilliant(for a dog).  She can make you know exactly what she wants.

She has one of those round dog beds.  At random times she will fold the bed over and begin hunching it.....vigorously.  She will do so for hours and then fall out in the floor from exhaustion.  She will sometimes press the top of her head on the floor and push herself across the living room floor, she is humping so hard, lol.  She used to do it with a rolled up pair of wool socks, but she outgrew those.

She hides her pig ears.  The only chew thing she hides.  There are no other dogs in the house, and I have never found one appetizing, but she hides them nonetheless.  She will sometimes put one in the corner against the wood base-molding and then proceed to cover it up with what I figure is imaginary hay, she nudges at it like she's movin something over there.  When you go look for it, she will do everything she can to distract you from it.  I have lost count of the damn pig ears we have found while cleaning out closets.

She was hit by a Chevrolet Suburban once.  She ran out to go chase it but was too early and ran right in front of it.  The truck hit her and she went under the vehicle, rolling.  She tumbled several times and disappeared into the neighbor's ditch.  We, of course figuring she was history, were amazed by the site of her running full speed out of the ditch, narrowly missing another car, and then over to us.  She suffered nothing more than a small scratch on the side of her nose which produced no blood or scar.  Not bad for 4lbs. vs. 6000.

She goes berzerk at the mention of the words "Road Trip".  So much so that we have to refer to it as r.t.  

Oh, and she also does the spaz thing where she runs around the house at mach 2 in circles.  All you have to do is start clapping and say "crazy dog.......crazy dog!" and she takes off.

Well I could go on, but for the sake of bored readers I'll end it here.
[0j]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
My Jack Russell Terrier goes balistic when we tell her to "get the kitty" whenever we see a stray cat in our backyard.
View Quote

Mine Too!

She absolutely craves cats.  Runs around the house growling and barking and jumping on all the windows.  If you lay down in the floor and "meow" at her she literally launches herself at you and attacks.  Lotsa fun.

She also eats toilet paper, dryer lint and panties.

Never has so much dog been compacted into such a small body.

[b]Jacks Rule![/b]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#26]
oops.......doubled!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Great Pics Yall.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

She hides her pig ears.  The only chew thing she hides.  There are no other dogs in the house, and I have never found one appetizing, but she hides them nonetheless.  She will sometimes put one in the corner against the wood base-molding and then proceed to cover it up with what I figure is imaginary hay, she nudges at it like she's movin something over there.  When you go look for it, she will do everything she can to distract you from it.  I have lost count of the damn pig ears we have found while cleaning out closets.

View Quote

Man.........mine does the same thing with her pig ears.  That imaginary dirt is what gets me..............also the "get the he** away from my pig ear" look she gives you when you get close to it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Jack Russels are the greatest aren't they.  Small dog, big attitude.

Mine seems to understand words and phrases like you wouldn't believe.  Once I was sittin in the driveway with her at night with a cup of iced tea.  I finished off the tea and started givin her some ice.  I threw a cube out in the grass and she went out there to find it.  She sniffed out a piece of ice!  I found that impressive.  Well, I threw about 4 more out and she stood there lookin at me.  I said "retrieve", and she twisted her head and cocked her ear back.  I said it three more times and all of a sudden, she goes out there and sniffs everyone out and brings them back one at a time.  It blew my mind.  Gotta go she's tryin to hide an ear in my ghillie suit in progress.

[0j]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Yeah........I have taught mine so many things that are actually pretty complex.....................she understands english better than most people I know.

When I get home I always tell her to "Go find your momma".

Wherever my wife is in the house she leads me to her w/o my having to yell out or search on my own.

Mine is the most affectionate animal I have ever seen.

She sleeps on me, sits in my lap and watches TV with me and prefers for me to hold her chew bones so she can get a better bite on them.

Her favorite toy is a yellow rubber chicken.  My wife can look at her and go "Bawk bawk bawk" and Maggie absolutely goes crazy.

Her play companions, my mother's dogs, are a pit bull named Lucy (65 lbs) and a boxer/mastiff mix named Butch (125 lbs).

Maggie dogs both of them out at her discretion!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#31]
OK.  Don't have a dog right now, but had a female boxer growing up that did something that my friends and I would laugh ourselves hoarse over.

If we left the outside door to the laundry room open, she would sneak in and eat all the cat crap out of the litter box.  We would be playing basketball usually when we forgot to shut that door...and would see her come out of laundry room with sand all over her muzzle.  Then she would walk into the yard and vomit all of the cat crap out!

No matter how many times she threw it all up, she'd come back for more!  LOL!
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:01:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
X-Kill, I am now sweeping my house for hidden cameras.  

My JRT has a yellow rubber chicken(not her fave though).  Likes for me to hold her chew toy for her so she can bear down.  Is sittin in my lap right now at the computer.  And is also the most affectionate dog I have ever seen.  The words "Who is it?" will produce an instant bark and investigation of the front and side doors.  Saying "Get em." will cause her to become very aggressive in her tone of...uh....voice.  And in general she understands a hell of alot of phrases.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a pit bull once that would climb trees. No shit, I even got a picture of him in a one.

The spaz thing is always a laugh riot, where they run from one end of the house to the other at break neck speed.

The same pit bull who climbed trees would sit and drool buckets while watching us eat pizza.

He also drank bleach, inhaled two pounds of raw pork, and swallowed a sewing needle. None of which seemed to faze him. One tuff breed, I'm telling ya.

He would tip beers over so he could drink them, and try and steal sips of mixed drinks, but wouldn't touch booze if ya put it in his bowl. He only liked it if it was stolen.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#37]
My dog uses her feet more then the average yellow lab, she like to try to hit you with her paws and when she wants food she will beat you with her feet until you give her a treat.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
X-Kill, I am now sweeping my house for hidden cameras.  

My JRT has a yellow rubber chicken(not her fave though).  Likes for me to hold her chew toy for her so she can bear down.  Is sittin in my lap right now at the computer.  And is also the most affectionate dog I have ever seen.  The words "Who is it?" will produce an instant bark and investigation of the front and side doors.  Saying "Get em." will cause her to become very aggressive in her tone of...uh....voice.  And in general she understands a hell of alot of phrases.
View Quote

Stop it man.......you're scarring me!

Our phrase is "What is it"  and "Is it a booger" also..........Look, Listen and Watch.  Each phrase solicits a different....and more intensified response from Mags.

Weird.

She will patrol the entire house on command..........and she gets real bitchy if she sees something outside or hears an unusual noise.  The perfect security system.

As I type this Maggie is asleep right beside me on her bed.

Where did you get your dog and how old is she?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#39]
If I don't lock the door to the bathroom, while I'm in it,  my lab will open the door and lay next to the toilet while I'm taking a dump. He seems to enjoy it.  It's the truth.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#40]
I have to pick my 120# Rottie up and put him in the back of the truck to take him to the vet.  Whole time he is fighting against getting in the back of the truck.  Finally, get him in and he lays down against the tool box.  Start driving down the road and he tries to jump out.  First time I took him to the vet, he did jump out while the truck was going about 45mph.  Now, I have to open the tool box and tie his leash to something inside the tool box to keep him from jumping out.  Funny thing is, if the truck is stopped, he lays down against the tool box until the truck starts to move again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:07:57 AM EDT
[#41]
I've got my pup trained to hunt now, but she has some funny ideas about how to use decoys and apply camo. Oh well, at least this dog hunts.
KenS
/
//
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/035/GU/ZL/pz/Oc66250.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#42]
There's no sneaking out of the house with my Jack Russell around. If we leave any room of the house, she will follow us. If it looks like we're going to the front or garage door, she starts growling while doing circles. She makes sure that she is on your heels at the start of each circle. If we actually make a break for the door, she will pounce on us from behind. She's good at getting us just below the back of the knee to take us off balance. Once she's sure she's gotten our attention, she'll sit whith her tail going a mile a minute and give us a look that says "You weren't going without me, were you?" If it's an appropriate place, she usually gets to go.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Many pleasant hunting memories from my black Lab-mut.

At one point, my brother followed the dog out into the back yard to see how he was escaping.  The dog was walking up a 15foot(approx.) long 2x4 that was leaning against our chainlink fence, just like a tight-rope walker.  When he got to the top, he jumped over.

Another time, he chewed up the bottom of a chain link gate, to escape thru the hole.  It looked like Jaws had mauled the gate!!

He hated uniforms, and made many a meter-reader and mailman do the frantic, jumping, anti-gravity dance, as they tried to float above his barking and snapping jaws.  When I finally got my barking machine under control, the guy just sat down on our front planter, slumped forward, put his head in his hands and cursed weakly.(sorry!)

He didn't hate military uniforms, though.

Taught himself to hunt, just to help me out.

Could stand up on his hindlegs and be 6 Feet Tall, pounding on the back glass sliding doors with his front paws, barking furiously and making the door shake so violently, you'd think it would break. When I appeared in the backyard unexpectedly, one day and he saw me, I got a dose of this. Absolutely Frightening- he looked like a real-life werewolf who was going to eat me up.  Glad he calmed down when he recognized me.

He never bit a single person in his whole life, but was still a firm believer in putting the Fear of Dog into non-family.

He loved little kids and kittens, and would gently play with them.  Kittens came away soaked with his spit from being "mothered" by him.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a family pet, Gus the diving daschund, for some reason he's got it in for hermit crabs.  He will go under water up to about 4 feet to get'em, he usally just drags them back on shore and then trys to get them out of their shell, without much luck I might add. He also tried this with a blue crab once, and only once the crab got him by the nose and sorta wised him up.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#45]
He's a 70 lb. Pit Bull.
He (when encouraged) can pick an 85 lb. dumbell off the ground.
It makes his hind-legs dangle.
He can run with a 60 lb. dumbell in his mouth.
Then the hind-legs just kinda float a little.
Swims underwater.
Goes down to the bottom and tries to pull up roots.
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#46]
My female Brittany Spaniel chews up and swallows my daughter's Speedo racing bathing suits if she finds them on the floor. Later, when she takes a dump, they sometimes only come part way out and she runs around the yard with a Speedo flag waving from her butt. Dogs, man, go figure...
Link Posted: 11/18/2001 2:58:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Wears Hats.
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1721265&a=13415479&p=56370679[/img]

Chase especially enjoys running alongside the pool when I swim laps. Occasionally he falls in. He's not a very strong swimmer, and doesn't like swimming, so I usually have to rescue him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top