Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2001 12:25:51 PM EDT
Well, I've been needing one for a while, and I found one that looks like it'll do what i need! I don't know a whole lot about fire protection in gun safes, but it looks pretty good. It says it only holds 8 guns, but i think i can mess with the insides to squeeze in more than that.

I'll let these pictures do the explanation. (I love Bass Pro... Lotsa tourists, and everyone's taking pics)

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/gunsafe1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/gunsafe2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/gunsafe3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.student.smsu.edu/s/srv656s/gunsafe4.jpg[/img]

Thanks for any help!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#1]
[b]It says it only holds 8 guns, but i think i can mess with the insides to squeeze in more than that.[/b]

Not good.  If you're trying to figure out if/how you can "squeeze" more guns in there, you're buying too small a safe.  Believe me, there is no such thing as too big of a safe.  If you get something that just fits you now, I guarantee you, you'll be buying another a lot sooner than you want.  Buy something that is FAR bigger than you need - you'll buy more guns and grow into it.  And of course, with a smaller safe, you'll risk banging guns together and scratching them just to squeeze them in there.  Not worth it; go bigger.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
What brands of safes do the masses reccomend ?? Say for around 1000 ??
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw a nice remington safe at Sam's club last night
Holds 22 rifles(I think) for $899..
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:31:13 PM EDT
[#4]
12 gun safe = 8 guns, mine is at 9, but its ready to burst.

scoped rifles or some agressivly shaped SURs are bound to take up more space than a 870 or somthing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
[url]http://www.deansafe.com/[/url]

This is where I got mine from.  I'm not sure about their shipping, I picked mine up.  They have every safe ever made, I swear.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
try a search on the web, I got mine from Smith Safes.  I'm happy with it. It wont walk away, and should keep out any but a professional or some one who brings their own torch and accessorise, hmmm, I wonder if  there really is 8 lbs of black powder in there as the sign on the safe says??      
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 2:52:03 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad and i went half and half on a fronter 18 gun several years ago (already filled) that was right arouund 1200.
Then later bought a small 10 gun for skatter guns (also filled). Now were saving our pennies for another fort knox most likely a 30+ gun this time. [:P]

we looked at em all tred-loc,remington,am-sec,
liberty even mosler (We liked mosler the best but not their  price)

We decided on the fort knox due to its external hinges,Carpeted kick plate on the bottom inside of the vault and the peg board bolted on the back of the door (a great place to hang pistol).

people dont think of this but those internal hinges take up room and can scratch stuff.

Also if in the event of a break in if the hinges are cut off the door still has all those bolts holding it on it wont go anywhere.

The kick plate i mentioned before keeps you from accidentaly dinging up  stocks when you pull them out of the safe .

i recomend fronter can you guess.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a Liberty Lincoln L35 series which holds thirty two guns. You might want to think bigger. Heck my safe is just about full. Bigger is better. My safe is rated for 1 hour @ 1700 degrees. I paided $ 1539.00 for my safe and it was well worth the money. Good luck on your purchase and take care.

Moose    [8D]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
12 gun safe = 8 guns, mine is at 9, but its ready to burst.

scoped rifles or some agressivly shaped SURs are bound to take up more space than a 870 or somthing.
View Quote

This couldn't be more truer.  The slots are cut out for small guns, not guns with pistol grips or big charging handles.  In my safe,  I can't even get to Garands to fit next to each other.  I usually have to place guns in every other slot.

Get something bigger than you think you will eventually need.  Then add another 4 or 6 to that number.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:48:22 PM EDT
[#10]
SRV I see what you are trying to do. That thing will hold a lot more than 8. What's that weird little shelf in the lower left for anyway? However, Unless that thing is made of some really heavy steel or has a hell proof fire rating it seems a little pricey. I would shop around a little. That's the beauty of internet research......its free!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
srv656s – That appears to be a decent - but not great - safe for the price.  12 gauge steel is a little on the light side.  It’s still a lot better than the stuff sold by Wal-Mart.  

However, I agree with everyone else, don’t even consider a safe that you already know is too small (unless it is absolutely all you can afford or have room for).  Gun safes are like wool sweaters, you always get a larger size cause they shrink!!

When - not “if” - your safe fills up, protect your guns with Gunny Socks or Bore Stores (inexpensive fabric cases available from Brownells).

My brand preference is Fort Knox since everything they make is good.  Liberty is also good as long as you stay away from their really low-end safes.  Other manufacturers also make good safes, you just have to check the features of the specific model you’re interested in a little more closely.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I saw a nice remington safe at Sam's club last night
Holds 22 rifles(I think) for $899..
View Quote

The Remington safes at Sam's clubs are basically just a generic version of the Liberty Lincoln 25 safe.  My friend bought one of the remingtons a couple of years ago and the only difference between it and my Lincoln 25 was that mine was firelined and had a all-gold handle, his had black plastic knobs on the end.

They only come in green (most popular safe color, I think) and you get no choice on the interior color or design.  When you buy a safe from the dealer, you have many choices of exterior and interior carpet colors.  Also, there are many different rack designs to choose from.  No option of an electric keypad, however, you can buy one from the safe dealer for a couple hundred and install it on the safe.

They are definitely a good deal for the price if you can live with the limitations.

Jack
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
There's my baby...
View Quote

Nice safe, DVDTracker, looks just like mine, Lincoln 25, right.  Love my safe, but it seems to be shrinking.  I seem to be getting more and more crowded inside.  Its so bad that I have to leave my .50BMG AR upper outside the safe.  It will only fit if I empty out about half the safe.

I think that qualifies as another "you might be a gun nut" entry.

If you own a gun that won't even fit in your gun safe, you might be a .....
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Look around. You can find a much bigger safe for that price or cheaper of the same quality.

The link below is the one I have $700

[url]www.libertylock.com/salepg/salepg.html#top[/url]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#18]
We are going to build a new house, plans have an 8'x10' gun room, security door and block with rebar
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I've also been looking at safes as well.

So far Vollmer's (the Class 3 guy) in Illinois has the top on my list.  
www.fjvollmer.com
815 577 9361

It's a Cannon safe w/:
1" door
4- 1" locking door bolts
Multiple relockers
Rockwell rated hardplate
Fire- 1200 for 30 min
upholstered interior and walls
adjusable shelves
14-28 guns (depending on yourshelf configuration)
free elecronic lock
60Hx30Wx22D 500lbs

685.00 for matte black
772.00 for colors.

2nd choice is:

sportsmansteelsafes.com

multiple safes avail

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#20]
For a little bit more money you can get a much larger safe that will hold a lot more guns.  Even if you only need the small one now, it would be cheaper in the long run to save up another couple of hundred and get a bigger safe.  Bear, Liberty, Fort Knox, etc. all make good safes.  Try here to see lots of safes in one place [url]www.agenglish.com/[/url]

Beware of non-UL rated fire safety ratings.  There are only a few safes that are UL certified and most of the other fire tests are much less stringent.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's mine:

[img]communities.msn.com/_Secure/0MwAgVCUR*aCpbUUlZyLiz6xYq3VTFgU05Nmo6PF6Df3uLlxm5bWUx8FVDuEgSsyHvfRjU5!1izHdosD*ps2bqQ/IMG_0041.jpg[/img]

This was the day I put it in.  It is a little less cluttered around there now.  72x40x28 and weighs 1300lbs.  3/16" steel all around with a 5/8" door and fully welded seams.  I'm already running out of room.  Buy big.  This safe was built in socal for about 2/3rd the cost of a comparable liberty.  Also was given choice of hinge side when I ordered it.  Check for a local builder in your area, sometimes you can get a really good deal.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Only complaint I have is that Liberty only offers doors that open to the right.  Where mine is located, one that opens to the left would have been better, but I'm making due just fine.
View Quote

You know, I did notice that in your picture, the awkwardness of the location.  I have the same problem.  Stuck in the corner, in order to get into the safe, you get sandwiched between the door and the wall.  The other option is to move it to the other side of the room, but that puts it visible through the front window, and we can't be advertising, can we:)

Jack
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, I've been needing one for a while, and I found one that looks like it'll do what i need! Thanks for any help!!
View Quote

srv,
You're still in school, right? I'd forget about a big safe for now. They are a royal pain to move! Wait till you settle down and buy a house before you buy Big Bertha. If I was in your shoes I would just buy an unlined Homak safe. Seriously, one guy can move an empty one. And if you're going to be renting, they are great cause you can put them anywhere. And best of all, they are cheap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top