Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2001 10:54:59 AM EDT
My little bros' b-day is comingup and my dad and i have floated the idea if building him a little 16" carbine AR from a pre-ban [;)] receiver. Any suggestions on configuration?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I got my 7 year old daughter (now 8) a preban lower, nad hung a tele-stock and a 16 inch barell off of it, top it off with good optics (In Genevieves case, an ACOG).  SHe is a wild terror with it.  No can is safe out to about 300 yards.  She has cleared every squirrel from 1000 acres.

All in all, a good thing.

Just make sure to pound the firearms safety rules into their head.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:53:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Wish I had you guys as my parental units.  All I got for my ninth birtday was GI-Joe action figurs.
Ash
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What a lucky kid.  Be careful, some liberals will be turning you in for child abuse. [:|]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Build him a .22 conversion and teach him to shoot with discipline. Better yet, get him at Anschutz target rifle and really teach him to shoot with discipline.  He'll have time to appreciate the "toys" later in life if he is brought up to appreciate marksmanship and fine rifles.    

I'm not dissing the AR in any way here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/p79aa21bb49cb93f0c2804ab2ee788337/fe58d39f.jpg.orig.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My little bros' b-day is comingup and my dad and i have floated the idea if building him a little 16" carbine AR from a pre-ban [;)] receiver. Any suggestions on configuration?
View Quote

Well, it appears that you are living in CA.  Is your little brother in CA as well?  If so, then what you are considering would be a felony under the Assault Weapon Ban:
[b]12280.[/b] (a)(1) Any person who, within this state, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, distributes, transports, or imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, [i]or who gives or lends[/i] any assault weapon, except as provided by this chapter, is guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for four, six, or eight years.
(2) In addition and consecutive to the punishment imposed under paragraph (1), any person who transfers, [i]lends[/i], sells, or [i]gives[/i] any assault weapon to a [i]minor[/i] in violation of paragraph (1) shall receive an enhancement of one year.
View Quote

Sure, you could build it and hold it for him until his 18th birthday but he is not going to be able to shoot it until then.  Welcome to California...when do we leave?  [puke]

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Build him a .22 conversion and teach him to shoot with discipline. Better yet, get him at Anschutz target rifle and really teach him to shoot with discipline.  He'll have time to appreciate the "toys" later in life if he is brought up to appreciate marksmanship and fine rifles.    

I'm not dissing the AR in any way here.
View Quote

Don't worry too much about that. This kid is a dead-eye. Started .22 when he was 5 (I didn't start 'til I was 8 [:(]) You should see him do skeet with his little Pardner 20gauge- best shot in the extended family. (P.S., don't remind me about CA AW laws. When you live in a county w/ a pro-gun sherrif , you don't have to worry so much about these things.)
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I got my 7 year old daughter (now 8) a preban lower, nad hung a tele-stock and a 16 inch barell off of it, top it off with good optics (In Genevieves case, an ACOG).  SHe is a wild terror with it.  No can is safe out to about 300 yards.  She has cleared every squirrel from 1000 acres.

All in all, a good thing.

Just make sure to pound the firearms safety
rules into their head.
View Quote

My spell check picked up your lame attempt to spell BARREL in 2 seconds!Yours must not work! Instead of blowing almost $2000 on a rifle for a child,I suggest you try some adult education classes at night school!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I built my kid a preban M-forgery when he was 9.
He is 11 now, a good shot, very safe and I have never regreted it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top