Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 12:44:03 PM EDT
I'm going to be there in a few weeks (mid September), for leave. It was an impulse decision, I lived there years ago.
Has anyone been there recently? Any tips, advice, etc. are appreciated.
  midwinter
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:49:17 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#3]
i been to italy. does that help?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#4]
When were you there last?

Berlin is much different since the wall came down. It's on it's way to replacing Frankfurt as the premier German city.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Havent been there since a year or so before the Wall came down.

Awesome city.  Lots of cool historical stuff to see and tons of bars that only close for like an hour each day.  Berlin rocks.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I spent 10 weeks in Berlin /1984  Before the wall came down.

When I was there...US Army

The city was pretty cool,  did the usual ( The Zoo ) lots of local clubs, and guasthouses (restaurants here).

The women-----ah the women.    ( German girls with an English accent (UK)  

Checkpoints Alpha, Bravo, Charlie Ect....

Food was good.

I didn't get to see all of it, but what I did see   AWESOME.

I would love to be able to back and see the countryside and surrounding area's again.

East Berlin---->  very drab and gray on thier side and depressing.

See it all
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I was stationed ther for almost 3 years 69-71 and went there on business trips on a regular basis. Last time was Nov. 2005.

What do you want to do, see... ? Any particular interests ?

F
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I have not been there since 1990, but it was a cool and beautiful city.  Just after "Die Mauer" was breached.  I'd love to go back.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to high school there from 1980-1982.  My dad was CO, 2/6 Inf.  Haven't been back, but my wife and I plan to someday (her dad was a Master Sergeant in Army Intelligence.)  It was a rocking town when we were there.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:15:13 PM EDT
[#10]
    Last time I went most of the excitement of the Ku'dam (main entertainment street ) was shifting to East Berlin, so the night life scene is mostly there.  If you are a history buff, there is plenty to see during the day.  Berlin Wall, Berlin Wall Museum, the rebuilt Reichstag, Brandenburger Gate  Tons of Museums.  There's a Soviet cemetery in the east that has T-34's at the gate.
   The Sony building has lots of neat stores, movie theatre and restaurants.  You can get anywhere you need to go by public transportation, so that's not a problem.  I was there for several days in 2002 and didn't see everything I wanted to see.  I'd love to go back and may be going in 2008.
   Have a good time and tell us how it goes!

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]
And a chance to walk along "Unter den Linden" wihout looking over one's shoulder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top