Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2006 7:11:33 AM EDT
Stress (and/or age?) seems to be taking it's toll.  The past 2 months have been particularly bad.

Anything I can do about it?

TIA,

Corey
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#1]
all snake oil. Mine started falling out in my early 20's and I tried a bunch of stuff. Just not worth it imo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#2]
BIC it.  Only way to save your dignity.  Besides, lots of chick dig the bald heads.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:21:20 AM EDT
[#3]
accept your  genetics, once you've gotten past that, shave it ALL off.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
What does your Mother's Father's hair line look like?  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Try Nioxin shampoo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:25:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Luckily, in my case, his is still perfect and full at 84.  

However, I am only 29 years old and people are starting to call my hair salt and pepper.

SBG
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:26:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

However, I am only 29 years old and people are starting to call my hair salt and pepper.

SBG

Graying can be a sign of a nutritional deficiency.  Most likely copper/iron.  However genetics can play.  Is your hair graying or just thinning?  If its thinning and your Maternal Grandfather has good hairline I would recommend massage immediately.  They sell funky brushes that you can brush your hair with that will stimulate circulation.  I would have a hair analysis done if it was me [to check for vitamin deficiencies.]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#9]
www.hairclub.com

My wife works for them.  In short (very very short) prevention comes down to keeping your scalp clean of bodily oils, which contains a certain type of testosterone that stunts groth and clogges folicles.
She brings me samples of the shampoo from one of their product lines that prevents loss........  im sure you can make your own, rubbing alchohol + baby shampoo.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:30:49 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yup

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Get over it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay, so I'm fucked.

It seems like when I have gone through extremely stressful times (recently just selling, moving and closing on our old home) that's when it goes.  Hopefully it'll stabilize now that we're through that.

On my dad's side the men are bald on top of their heads.  On my mom's side, it just receeds and luckily they maintain hair on the back of the head.  As I understand it, the latter is preferrable.  

The woman who cuts my hair has said that all the treatments are nothing more than ways to separate me from my money and make me feel like I'm doing something.

I've generally maintained a pretty good sense of humor about it.  I'm not getting old, I"m just gaining lots of life experience.  

Corey
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:36:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Rogaine sure didn't grow any new hair for me, but it did retard hair loss.  Used it for a year or so until I got tired of the expense and twice daily application and accepted the inevitable.  Took about six months for the effects of the minoxodil to wear off and when it did I got a year and half worth of hair loss in about three months.

If it's worth it to you to keep your hair, there are products that'll probably help you out but it really does come down to whether it's worth the trouble and expense to do so...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:41:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBG

Graying can be a sign of a nutritional deficiency.  Most likely copper/iron.  However genetics can play.  Is your hair graying or just thinning?  If its thinning and your Maternal Grandfather has good hairline I would recommend massage immediately.  They sell funky brushes that you can brush your hair with that will stimulate circulation.  I would have a hair analysis done if it was me [to check for vitamin deficiencies.]

My graying is genetic with no thinning.  My grandmother's hair was snow white by 35 and my mother would have been silver by 35 if she did not color her hair religiously.  

SBG
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]

yep.

27 here, probably be totally bald by 30. i just keep it shaved, which wasn't a big deal for me since i've been shaving my head since high-school.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:52:13 AM EDT
[#16]
It could still be nutritional.  My family is the same way.  In fact I've been coloring my hair since I was 19.  However my cousin who also started graying at an early age uses suppliments and has no gray hair at all.

Fortunately for the men in my family no hair loss.  FWIW with a clean cut men with thinning hair are very attractive.  My husband is thin on top.  If he kept his hair cut short he would look great all of the time.  Unfortunately I have to nag him to cut his hair and then he only submits about every 3 months.

Patty
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:55:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

SBG

My graying is genetic with no thinning.  My grandmother's hair was snow white by 35 and my mother would have been silver by 35 if she did not color her hair religiously.  

SBG

My Dad always says it's better to have it turn gray rather than turn loose....

BTW mine's turning loose...damn Mom's crappy genetics....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Fortunately for the men in my family no hair loss.  FWIW with a clean cut men with thinning hair are very attractive.  My husband is thin on top.  If he kept his hair cut short he would look great all of the time.  Unfortunately I have to nag him to cut his hair and then he only submits about every 3 months.

Patty

Flowbee
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yep!  Every 3 weeks, whether I need it or not.

Saved a lot of $20 hair guttery visits over the last 8yrs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:19:33 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Flowbee

I cut his hair but he won't sit still for a hair cut.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:20:53 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the primary reasons for male pattern baldness is a buildup of DHT in the scalp.  Finasteride will reduce DHT concentrations in the scalp.  It is the active ingredient in Propecia.  Here is a link:  LINK

I believe a new drug (dutasteride?) has recently come out that is supposedly even more effective for reducing DHT levels  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:23:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One of the primary reasons for male pattern baldness is a buildup of DHT in the scalp.  Finasteride will reduce DHT concentrations in the scalp.  It is the active ingredient in Propecia.  Here is a link:  LINK

I believe a new drug (dutasteride?) has recently come out that is supposedly even more effective for reducing DHT levels  

That's what I'm talking about!

BOOM, headshot!!

Corey

EDITED to add that no one even caught my reference to those Counterstrike movies in the other thread.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Flowbee

I cut his hair but he won't sit still for a hair cut.

Shave him while he sleeps.

No, I mean his scalp.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Stress (and/or age?) seems to be taking it's toll.  The past 2 months have been particularly bad.

TIA,

Corey

Chop a couple up real fine, and drop them in a big jar of alcohol (cheap vodka).

Let is sit for a month, then strain of the liquid and ditch the solids.

Rub a small amount of liquid on your head every other day or so (depending on the heat).  Increased blood flow with help the problem.

No, I'm not shitting you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:36:04 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Yes.  Proscar/Propecia reduces DHT by 70%, Dutasteride/Avocet cuts it by 90%. It stops hair loss in its tracks, and takes effect in just a week.  Amazing stuff. You don't have to be fatalistic about hair loss anymore.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Hair loss is 90+ percent genetic. Products will help slow it down but ultimately won't stop it.

New hair growth occurs in cycles, I think six months growth and six months rest or something like that. Anyway, if your hair is thinning due to stress you may notice it coming in slightly thicker during the next growth cycle.

Hair loss caused by stress will usually grow back in, but if genetics are leaning that way anyway, it may come back not as thick as it was. You just never know.

Nioxin shampoo is good. I use it every day. It won't stop hair loss but it's an excellent shampoo. It removes DHT from the scalp. DHT is "bad" testosterone which contributes to hair loss.  

Some people recommend Nizoral shampoo because it has an ingredient that disolves the oil produced by your follicles. While natural oil is good for your hair it can clog up the follicle and if the follicle becomes overly clogged the hair can die.

Take a good quality multivitamin supplement that has plenty of B vitamins.

Kelp (seaweed) contains nutrients which are good for your hair. It also helps to prevent hair loss. You can buy it in the food suppliments section at the grocery store or at a health food store.

Saw Palmetto is a DHT blocker. Most "mens" suppliments contain Saw Palmetto. Bonus: it's also good for your sexual health.

Biotin is good for hair color. You can take it in a disolvable tablet. It helps prevent premature gray. And it helps your body metabolize food into useable energy. It's part of the B vitamin family.

Omega-3 fatty acids are good for hair and skin. Omega-3, 6, and 9 acids can be obtained from flax seed oil or fish oil suppliments. There are many health benefits associated with these fatty acids besides being good for your hair. Lower cholesterol is one.

Practice good hygene on your scalp by using Nioxin or a good shampoo, and take care of your body. The healthier you are, the healthier your hair will be. The rest is up to genetics.

ETA: AFAIK, drugs like propecia will stop hair loss but cannot regrow hair on the front of your head, only on the back, and once you stop using them the hair falls out to its natural state.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Just want to clarify one thing, folks.

You can get the gene for hair loss from either parent.  It's a wive's tale that it predominately comes from the mom's father's genes.

You can be homozygous(same gene from one both parents) for the trait or heterozygous(genes received from each parent differ).  If you're homozygous, you're screwed and it doesn't matter if you're man or woman.  If you're a woman and heterozygous, chances are you'll be fine with keeping your own hair, but there is a 50/50 chance you'll pass it on to your children.  If you're a bald man, at best you have a 50/50 chance of passing on the gene, and at worst you have a 100% chance of passing on the gene.

Testosterone is the trigger.  That is why women are usually ok unless they're homozygous.  A woman who got the bald gene from both parents tends to get very, very thin on top.  Not bald, but very thin.  The fact that women don't produce testosterone at level anywhere near what men do is what keeps women from going completely bald the way men do.

In case you're wondering how I know this, I majored in Molecular Biology and Genetics before switching to Economics.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#29]
get a crew cut and it will not be as noticable, since it will blend in better
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA,

Corey

www.goodearthliveherbs.com/habanero-hot-pepper-live-vegetable-plants/vegetable_habanero_hot_pepper_plant.jpg

Chop a couple up real fine, and drop them in a big jar of alcohol (cheap vodka).

Rub a small amount of liquid on your head every other day or so (depending on the heat).  Increased blood flow with help the problem.

Funny.  I also just bought a motorcycle and started commuting to work.  I was wondering if wearing the helmet had anything to do with it.  Anyone know?  (Shit, it probably helps pull the hair out when I take it off....)

Corey
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.  Proscar/Propecia reduces DHT by 70%, Dutasteride/Avocet cuts it by 90%. It stops hair loss in its tracks, and takes effect in just a week.  Amazing stuff. You don't have to be fatalistic about hair loss anymore.

Does that stuff mess with your body at all?  I read it's also used for prostate problems.  Any side effects?

Corey
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Propecia to help keep what you've got & Bosley to replant.  Bosley cost around $12,000-$18,000 depending on how many grafts you choose, but it's the only permanant solution that I know of.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:40:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Okay...

I started to lose my hair at 18 - no shit.  You can tell I'm balding in my senior prom pics - not cool and not very good for the self esteem of a high school senior.

In a way, I think I lucked out, because I was over it by the time I was 23 and getting married, versus having it be a part of my mid life crisis at 40.  I bic my dome every 4-5 days and I love it.  It doesn't even phase me if someone makes a smart ass remark - "Hey, bald is beautiful - you having trouble with the ladies or something?  In fact, one time at Ft. Knox, one of the guys in my platoon said something stupid about it, and a Major in the bay said, "That's not a bald spot, that's a solar panel for a sex machine!"

That said, while I was living in Colombia, every person down there had a "home remedy" to make my hair grow back...  The only one that seemed to work though was a concoction made of a plant locally called "Romero" and white wine.  You had to let the white wine and romero sit for a while in the dark and then rub it on your scalp at night before going to sleep.

I know it works, because I know a lady who administered it to her husband and I watched his hair come back over the course of a few months.  They gave me some of the magic hair tonic to try - I just decided that I'd rather be bald than smell like a drunk for 8 hours of the day

My advice?  Keep it short, and move on.  Life's too short to worry about something as trivial as hair on top of your head.  Not even a factor for me anymore.  But I do sympathize with you - it sucks at first, until you realize that you aren't:

But:

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:09:16 AM EDT
[#34]
All of the treatments only slow down hair loss. Nothing will stop it. Even hair transplant surgery (which cost around five grand per) are not an end all since you will have to go back to replace hair that has fallen out around the new transplanted areas. The one sure thing about all of them is that they cost an arm and a leg, have side effects, and if you stop using them they make the problem far worse than it was (I learned this the hard way).

Accept your fate, and either shave it all off or leave it as it is. Yes, when push comes to shove nearly every woman prefers a full head of hair but you're married so your wife will have to deal with you the way you are. It does make you feel like shit (mine started around 19 and I'll be 25 in one week and I've lost more hair than most guys in their 40s) but there is little you can do about it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
All of the treatments only slow down hair loss. Nothing will stop it. Even hair transplant surgery (which cost around five grand per) are not an end all since you will have to go back to replace hair that has fallen out around the new transplanted areas. The one sure thing about all of them is that they cost an arm and a leg, have side effects, and if you stop using them they make the problem far worse than it was (I learned this the hard way).

Accept your fate, and either shave it all off or leave it as it is. Yes, when push comes to shove nearly every woman prefers a full head of hair but you're married so your wife will have to deal with you the way you are. It does make you feel like shit (mine started around 19 and I'll be 25 in one week and I've lost more hair than most guys in their 40s) but there is little you can do about it.

There are far worse ailments you could have.  Look on the bright side, man!

Thanks for the advice.

Corey
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Kinda in the same boat...dad is bald and people have been telling me my whole life that I am going to be bald. I am 30. I keep my hair cut short and messy and it looks good. go to a good barber and tell them "hey I'm thinning do what you think will make it look it's best" and 9 out of 10 times they do a good job. I am a small guy so bicing my head is a no go. I have also had baby fine hair my whole life. My hair looks bad if I try to "spike it up", in bright light, or gell it with the "wet look" but if I wear it short it looks ok. I have noticed that my forehead is getting more oily though as I thin more. I have also noticed a lot of hair in my ears that I have to pluck
I made up my mind that I can't change this so I would change my physical shape. I work out a minimum once a week but try for 3. That I can control. And I am in better shape at 30 than when I was 18

A wise girl once told me the only people that notice and worry about balding are you and other men....

My father said it best too "you have hair when you need vanity...once you realize you don't need vanity who cares"
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:35:49 AM EDT
[#37]
I used Avacor with excellent results.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:43:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Both my grandparents were completely  bald. My older bro started going bald at 22, and it happened to me at the exact same age. He basically has the Captain Picard hair only on hte sides now, while I still have some left all around and keep it short. My younger bro right now has a huge rediculous mullet, me and my older bro make fun of him and tell him to enjoy it while it lasts, hehe.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Feel fortunate.

If/when I go bald, I have a whole heap of scars covered by my hair from a severe dogbite when I was 2 years old. The scars used to be on my face, but as I grew through my childhood, they shifted to the top of my head.

Worries me that they'll be visible one day again.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:57:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
But:

film.onet.pl/_i/film/i/italian_job_2003/g/g70.jpg

Yup... that dood made me go one step shorter on the shaver cause I had been letting it grow just a bit spikier.

And this dood is the guy who originally inspired me to give-up the stupid vanity and just give myself a buzz cut every two weeks.

Thank God we live in an age where so many celebs have made it cool to be bald or "fuzzy". I think Michael Jordan was a trailblazer in that area (though Tele Sivalis might disagree).
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#41]
just shave it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TIA,

Corey

www.goodearthliveherbs.com/habanero-hot-pepper-live-vegetable-plants/vegetable_habanero_hot_pepper_plant.jpg

Funny.  I also just bought a motorcycle and started commuting to work.  I was wondering if wearing the helmet had anything to do with it.  Anyone know?  (Shit, it probably helps pull the hair out when I take it off....)

Corey

Wearing a hat in the summer started to give me zits on my head ().

Fuck that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Mine started going in my early 20's.  I used to be real vain about it but finally gave up.  So I started cutting it short and noticed that I was getting a little more attention from the womenz.  Now I just use a #1 on the shears.  Best thing is getting out of the shower and no hair to dry or comb.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Testosterone is the trigger.

I thought Testosterone levels dropped as you got older.

ETA: I have abig head ( full of brains ) I would look terible bald
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Avodart works great for stopping hair loss if you don't mind becoming a B-cup.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Now I just use a #1 on the shears.

You got it. I used to use the #2, but hated having to buzz it every week. So now I use the #1 and do it every 1.5 - 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Avodart works great for stopping hair loss if you don't mind becoming a B-cup.

Nope... B-cup's not gonna cut it for me. If I was going to use it I'd want at least a D-cup for my troubles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:24:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that stuff mess with your body at all?  I read it's also used for prostate problems.  Any side effects?

Corey

If you take too much, it makes your nuts ache pretty damn bad.  Supposedly it also causes an inability to get it up, but I haven't noticed.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Testosterone is the trigger.

I thought Testosterone levels dropped as you got older.

ETA: I have abig head ( full of brains ) I would look terible bald

Testosterone levels may drop as you get older, but it's still enough to get the job done if you're carrying the "baldness" gene.  Even with dropping testosterone levels due to age, men produce significantly greater quantities than women.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Corey

If you take too much, it makes your nuts ache pretty damn bad.  Supposedly it also causes an inability to get it up, but I haven't noticed.

The same DHT that makes you go bald also contributes to enlargement of the prostate. It became a hair loss drug after people started taking it for prostate problems and noticed their hair growing back. If you stop taking it then your hair falls out to its natural state.

Your body creates less testosterone as you get older but you continue producing "bad" testosterone (DHT) that makes your hair follicles shrink and enlarges the prostate. There is nothing wrong with "good" testosterone.  

Keeping an oily scalp under control is also important. Sebum, a type of oil secreted by the scalp, can clog the hair follicle and cause it to shrink which results in smaller, finer hairs. Nizoral shampoo contains an ingredient that removes sebum from the scalp, which would theoretically help prevent hair loss. I definitely have a less oily scalp when I use Nizoral but using it every day results in over dryness. So I use Nioxin most of the time.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top