Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/21/2006 2:31:34 AM EDT
The lady that was suppose to be Mrs 89Saleen had a change of heart (TG it happened BEFORE we got married). Anyway.....I'm now the owner of an engagement ring and ladies wedding band She's worn it for 1 1/2 years.

What's the best/easiest way to sell it? How do I figure out it's current value?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:32:44 AM EDT
[#1]
ebay.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I bet you could just send it back to the makers of "Cracker Jack"

j/k...

Pawn shop in the area? That would be my guess.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Take it to a reputable jeweler nearby.  Let them know up front (even if it's a lie) that you have no intent to sell it.  You'd just like a estimate of it's worth.  They'll be more likely to give you an accurate value since you two won't be doing any business with each other.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
How do I figure out it's current value?

Have it appraised.

Please note that you're not going to get anywhere near what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Take it to a reputable jeweler nearby.  Let them know up front (even if it's a lie) that you have no intent to sell it.  You'd just like a estimate of it's worth.  They'll be more likely to give you an accurate value since you two won't be doing any business with each other.

tell 'em its for insurance purposes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ebay.

Yep...if you have the receipt and the certificate of authenticity, some agoraphobe will pay twice what you did.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:34:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't sell it.  Even if you don't keep it as an engagement ring for the next future Mrs. 89Saleen, you could always have the diamond remounted into some other type of jewelry for her.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:35:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Since you aren't going to get what you paid for it, and the price of metals keeps going up, you might want to "safe" it for the time being.

Just keep your trap shut and when you do find the right one, you've already got part done, just re-size it.

I say keep you trap shut because I think it might bother some women to know that the ring wasn't initially bought for them, but since it's just a SYMBOL, it really shouldn't matter, but that's just MHO.

Loose Lips sink ships! Practice Op-Sec at home!

P.S. I'd stay WAYYYY away from Pawn Shops!  They make their money back on re-selling that stuff!  Think "pennies on the dollar" for what they're going to give you.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Sell it. Buy guns.

Quoted:

Oy! Ain't THAT the truth!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
You want/need to get rid of that ring.    Don't even ever think about giving it to another chick.  That is just bad karma. Any chick ever found out that you gave that same ring, or stone to a different girl they would go apeshit.  

I would try E Bay first.  Oh make sure that you send the former girlfriend a link to the auction.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:46:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't sell it.  Even if you don't keep it as an engagement ring for the next future Mrs. 89Saleen, you could always have the diamond remounted into some other type of jewelry for her.

Recycled gems (unless they are heirloom) are bad JuJu...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:54:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You want/need to get rid of that ring.    Don't even ever think about giving it to another chick.  That is just bad karma. Any chick ever found out that you gave that same ring, or stone to a different girl they would go apeshit.  

I would try E Bay first.  Oh make sure that you send the former girlfriend a link to the auction.  

Just me, but unless you did something WRONG, then I wouldn't worry about the Karma.

Another way to look at it:  If the chick walked before instead of just after +half, then that ring might be your good-luck charm!

89Saleen, dude, I'm not making light of your situation, I know that that stuff sucks.  If you need to get rid of it for mental reasons and not money, then that's one thing.  It just sucks to take a power-shot to the boys and then take a follow-up to the wallet.   I didn't go the engagement ring/wedding band route.  I did the whole One Ring-thing, and had it built, so it would have been a "loose-loose"
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My thoughts exactly. That's why I am trying to sell mine too. Same thing that happened to Mr. Saleen happened to me too. Paid nearly 3k cash for that shit.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#15]
After you sell the ring.....

TRAINING.......

you are selling the ring arent you?

I must agree recycling of gems is very bad ju-ju......

Pilk
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I did the whole One Ring-thing, and had it built, so it would have been a "loose-loose"

You did the "One Ring-thing"? Was that ring forged secretly by Sauron in the fires of Orodruin?

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]
I do get a laugh at the recycling aspect.  What percentage of diamonds purchased have been mounted before - it is not as if there is anyway to actually tell, is there?

My jewler has goten me some really good deals on diamonds.  She says she goes to Antwerp (she is part of a multi generational family owned diamond import buisness.  I have had them appraised and her grading is right on - for roughly 1/2 retail.  Still I would have no way of telling it they were from Antwerp of Doc Holidays pawn.

I would not regift the ring - it is worth gold content.  Wholesale, I got my wife's rings were about $150 each (platinum - my heavier ring was considerably more expensive, but far closer to the spot on platinum at the time). I would consider keeping the ring, but only to either sell or melt it down latter.  Diamonds are diamonds - it could easily be traded in for someone elses for the next ring (the trade it might cut into the margin of that deal), or remounted.  I fully supect that both the diamons and the gold in most rings have been recycled a few times.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:13:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's a rock.

Keep this particular rock for the next time you get all smitten and decide to sell your soul. Hell, maybe you'll look at this ring and realize your mistake before it is too late.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#19]
I kept the engagement/wedding rings when I divorced my ex.

My new & improved Wife V2.0 said it would be stupid to sell it,
since I would loose so much money.

I offered to have it made into a pendant.  She loved the idea.

I went to a gold smith / jeweler who crafted a wax representation of what we
wanted, and he melted and cast the gold into a heart shaped pendant.
The diamond went in the center of the heart.  

Wife loves it.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:15:47 AM EDT
[#20]
what size stone stone are we talking about? if its 1 carat+ seperate the stone from the setting & sell them seperately. you won't get as much but you have a better chance of moving it quickly. everyone's taste in rings is different if the setting is ornate it'll be even harder to move. get rid of the stone and then try to find someone to buy the setting.

unless youre just dying for the cash; i'd take it to a retutable jeweler and negotiate a trade. you'll get more out of it trading it on a rolex or a TAG, and will be done with the whole ordeal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:26:53 AM EDT
[#21]
My wife doesn't mind at all that her engagement ring once belonged to my sister. When I decided to ask my wife to marry me, I wasn't in the best financial situation and was able to get a diamond twice as big as I could have bought from a jeweler. And I got to give my sister a little cash to boot. Everyone was happy.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:29:27 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a rock.

Keep this particular rock for the next time you get all smitten and decide to sell your soul. Hell, maybe you'll look at this ring and realize your mistake before it is too late.

It's not just "a rock."
It's a symbol of your love for your wife. Recycling love symbols MAKES it "just a rock."

I've been engaged twice: first time I was given a family heirloom worn by my fiance's grandmother. THAT was cool. The relationship did not work out and I returned the ring. When my husband asked me to marry him, he'd been out the day before getting the ring.

Most women would no sooner wear a piece specifically picked for "she who came before me" than men would wear the boxers of "he who came before me."
Too personal....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:45:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't take the Officer and Gentlemen route.

Sell it buy a new toy.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:01:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The lady that was suppose to be Mrs 89Saleen had a change of heart (TG it happened BEFORE we got married). Anyway.....I'm now the owner of an engagement ring and ladies wedding band She's worn it for 1 1/2 years.

What's the best/easiest way to sell it? How do I figure out it's current value?

Thanks

Try to sell it on your own through the classified. You won't get what you paid for it but someone else may want it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:05:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I did the whole One Ring-thing, and had it built, so it would have been a "loose-loose"

You did the "One Ring-thing"? Was that ring forged secretly by Sauron in the fires of Orodruin?

"One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them."

No, once his girl got the ring, she disappeared.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:10:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Generally, jewelry stores will offer you 20 - 33 % of what you paid.  Engagement rings are a big scam.  Your best bet is to bring it back to the place you bought it from.

Next best bet is ebay, but prices are low there too.

eta: if it wasn't too much, you might want to make a little sister or niece really happy.  Of course it won't be an engagement ring, but rather a nice ring for the right hand.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Or, consider trading it for a piece of jewelry that you might wear.  Perhaps a watch or something.  Or, a pinky ring if you are an Itallian-American.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya, that's the joke.  What that really meant was that the same ring she wore as an engagement ring is the same one she's wearing today.  This way I was able to dump more coin on the ring, than having to split it in two.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like you guys could help each other out:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=492783
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's in my basement right now eating "tasty, crunchy fishes" and she calls the ring her precious...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#31]
Recycle it.

Werd.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I laugh whenever I hear a woman say that jewelry 'appreciates'.  Yeah, maybe if you run insurance scams.  Otherwise, I don't think so.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#33]
you can do what my ex did to his gf previously before me that he was going to marry....he bought a tiffanys engagment ring and then bought a wave runner and a gun with the return
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

She's in the WraithWorld; he just can't see her.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:08:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep it as a reminder.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Markup on jewlery is nuts like a license to steal. A pal of mine works at a jewler his employee discount on a $700.00 ring, his price $100.00! And the shop still made money on it. I bought a very nice antique design silver ring with three diamonds for my wife from a pawn shop. Paid $150.00, the wife had it appraised and it came in at $1,500.00.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
It's not just "a rock."
It's a symbol of your love for your wife. Recycling love symbols MAKES it "just a rock."

Shows how materialistic and commercialized "love" has become. I could pick something a lot more personal than a heavily compressed piece of carbon, but I guess it has to cost atleast "two-months salary" to be real, huh?

Fucking pathetic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not just "a rock."

Shows how materialistic and commercialized "love" has become. I could pick something a lot more personal than a heavily compressed piece of carbon, but I guess it has to cost atleast "two-months salary" to be real, huh?

Fucking pathetic.

Remember, if you think about it, the Moon is 'just a rock' also.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:40:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have it appraised.

This is not exactly true, stone quality is the main determining factor. The same as when it was purchased. Carat weight and clarity, then color, then cut. Rounds ALWAYS retain higher value than any other cut.

Professional appraisal, cost (depending on jeweler) $25-50.00, well worth the expense.

Diamonds not only retain their value, they appreciate. DO NOT sell if you are going to take a loss!

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:46:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I do get a laugh at the recycling aspect.  What percentage of diamonds purchased have been mounted before - it is not as if there is anyway to actually tell, is there?

My jewler has goten me some really good deals on diamonds.  She says she goes to Antwerp (she is part of a multi generational family owned diamond import buisness.  I have had them appraised and her grading is right on - for roughly 1/2 retail.  Still I would have no way of telling it they were from Antwerp of Doc Holidays pawn.

I would not regift the ring - it is worth gold content.  Wholesale, I got my wife's rings were about $150 each (platinum - my heavier ring was considerably more expensive, but far closer to the spot on platinum at the time). I would consider keeping the ring, but only to either sell or melt it down latter.  Diamonds are diamonds - it could easily be traded in for someone elses for the next ring (the trade it might cut into the margin of that deal), or remounted.  I fully supect that both the diamons and the gold in most rings have been recycled a few times.

Lots of mis-information about the jewellery industry here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a rock.

It's not just "a rock."

I've been engaged twice: first time I was given a family heirloom worn by my fiance's grandmother. THAT was cool. The relationship did not work out and I returned the ring. When my husband asked me to marry him, he'd been out the day before getting the ring.

Most women would no sooner wear a piece specifically picked for "she who came before me" than men would wear the boxers of "he who came before me."
Too personal....

This is all very true.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have it appraised.

This is not exactly true, stone quality is the main determining factor. The same as when it was purchased. Carat weight and clarity, then color, then cut. Rounds ALWAYS retain higher value than any other cut.

Professional appraisal, cost (depending on jeweler) $25-50.00, well worth the expense.

Diamonds not only retain their value, they appreciate. DO NOT sell if you are going to take a loss!

Now I am by no means an expert on gems, but how the hell do diamonds appreciate? They have to have moutains of those things sitting in reserve that they trickle into the market. So with supply ever increasing, it makes no sense for it to go up in value.

Even if it does the initial depreciation of the gem immediatly after purchase is so great that there is no way it will ever recover.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This is all very true.

Lemme guess: you work for the jewelry/diamond industry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:05:42 PM EDT
[#44]
I purchased Mrs. Snarfbatt's diamonds from a local shop that gave me a certificate that gives the option of getting 100% back on the stones. and the gold/platinum for scrap value.
I have made it part of my plan to buy stones and gold.
Oh and never ever recycle stones without the S O approval.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Have it professionally cleaned then give it to the next girl you get engaged to. It is just a rock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is all very true.

Lemme guess: you work for the jewelry/diamond industry.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

[DeBeers] Recycled gems are bad JuJu!  Buy new from DeBeers [/DeBeers]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:18:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
you can do what my ex did to his gf previously before me that he was going to marry....he bought a tiffanys engagment ring and then bought a wave runner and a gun with the return

What kinda gun did he get

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

So did you buy some  beach front property in Nebraska from your jewler, too?

The price of diamonds is artificially inflated by the DeBeers cartel and their control over the supply.

Also, the technology for lab grown diamonds is rapdily maturing and will be capable of generating flawless diamonds at a fraction of the DeBeers price.

Lots of interesting info in this article: The New Diamond Age
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Keep it as a reminder.

Wear it on a chain around your neck as a reminder of what all the bull shit cost you and all of the pain.

When a woman asks what that is around your neck, say it was the engagement ring you were gonna give your g/f before she died. It will get you sympathy poon.

Oh and the diamond market is a whole fucking scam, a nasty bloody, materialistic scam that keeps parts of Africa in shambles and perpetuates materialism in women.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top