Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wait until the next one come along and recycle it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How do I figure out it's current value?

Have it appraised.

Please note that you're not going to get anywhere near what you paid for it.

This is not exactly true, stone quality is the main determining factor. The same as when it was purchased. Carat weight and clarity, then color, then cut. Rounds ALWAYS retain higher value than any other cut.

Professional appraisal, cost (depending on jeweler) $25-50.00, well worth the expense.

Diamonds not only retain their value, they appreciate. DO NOT sell if you are going to take a loss!

Now I am by no means an expert on gems, but how the hell do diamonds appreciate? They have to have moutains of those things sitting in reserve that they trickle into the market. So with supply ever increasing, it makes no sense for it to go up in value.

Even if it does the initial depreciation of the gem immediatly after purchase is so great that there is no way it will ever recover.

It's not a car.

Unless you damage the stone, their intrinsic value doesn't decline. UNLESS there is a glut in the market. The last time this happened was when the Russians released stones from their reserves without notice, flooding the market. That can no longer happen, as DeBeers has since purchased those rights.

Only 100,000 ring quality diamonds are released worldwide per year (by DeBeers). Of that 100,000 only so many of a given carat weight/clarity/color are released to the retail market. This is why the stones already in the public realm do not depreciate, because there is global control of the release of rough-to-finish product.

If the diamond market was deregulated (as the US .gov wants), then all the stones in the world would drop to their ACTUAL worth. Which is only about $30 per carat. The INTRINSIC worth of diamonds is much higher. Everywhere in the world. Diamonds have been, and remain, a valued commodity globally. This is a short answer as to how they appreciate. Remove the perceived value of the stones, and the actual value will fall. Even without marketing, people all over the world have desired diamonds for centuries. Now with global markets and easier mining access and greater kimberlite pipe knowledge, the market must remain globally regulated to sustain value.

Hope this helps explain it some. As a global commodity, it is complicated.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Diamonds not only retain their value, they appreciate. DO NOT sell if you are going to take a loss!

So did you buy some  beach front property in Nebraska from your jewler, too?

The price of diamonds is artificially inflated by the DeBeers cartel and their control over the supply.

Also, the technology for lab grown diamonds is rapdily maturing and will be capable of generating flawless diamonds at a fraction of the DeBeers price.

Lots of interesting info in this article: The New Diamond Age

Do more research, okay? DeBeers is the largest MAKER of diamonds in the world, too.

ETA See what I highlighted in blue. Jewelers can always tell lab created stones. Their value is shit. I will not explain why, as you can probably guess.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a friend with the same problem, and since a good friend of mine was a jeweler, he asked me the same question.  My friend the jeweler said that his biggest problem was the HUGE mark-up on jewelery.  He advised him that the best way to liquidate the wedding set, with the least ammount of anal soreness was to trade it in on heavy gold or a high end watch.  I think that the presidential Rolex made him feel better about the situation.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:44:07 PM EDT
[#5]
As I said in my first reply, page 1

Wife V2.0 said she would love to use the ex's ring.

It was a .44 carat E color  VVS1 clarity diamond, 14 kt gold ring and band.  

It cost me $200 to have it transformed into this, and my wife wears it a couple times a week.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's not just "a rock."
It's a symbol of your love for your wife. Recycling love symbols MAKES it "just a rock."

Shows how materialistic and commercialized "love" has become. I could pick something a lot more personal than a heavily compressed piece of carbon, but I guess it has to cost atleast "two-months salary" to be real, huh?

Fucking pathetic.

So, just for shits and giggles, mind you, go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a diamond toothed saw blade. Knock off one of the saw teeth and give it to the next woman you want to marry, see what she says. See how much pie you get as a result, too. After all, it is a real diamond, right?

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Fortunately, I was spared this dilemma.

My ex took great delight in telling me how much she hocked my rings for.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Shows how materialistic and commercialized "love" has become. I could pick something a lot more personal than a heavily compressed piece of carbon, but I guess it has to cost atleast "two-months salary" to be real, huh?

Fucking pathetic.

So, just for shits and giggles, mind you, go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy a diamond toothed saw blade. Knock off one of the saw teeth and give it to the next woman you want to marry, see what she says. See how much pie you get as a result, too. After all, it is a real diamond, right?

Good job ignoring my point...specifically the part in red.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fucking pathetic.

Good job ignoring my point...specifically the part in red.

I didn't ignore the part in red. My point was this. A diamond IS PERSONAL to women!

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
When my ex and I broke up, I had her ring melted and made into a little paperweight.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:25:45 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

In my state (PA), the state supreme court ruled that the engagement ring (specifically), is part of the marriage contract. No marriage=no ring. If the couple decides to not go through with the wedding, she has to return the ring. If the couple become divorced, this could also be raised to get the engagement ring back to the husband, (but not the wedding ring).

Pre-nup, pre-nup, pre-nup...

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In my state (PA), the state supreme court ruled that the engagement ring (specifically), is part of the marriage contract. No marriage=no ring. If the couple decides to not go through with the wedding, she has to return the ring. If the couple become divorced, this could also be raised to get the engagement ring back to the husband, (but not the wedding ring).

Pre-nup, pre-nup, pre-nup...

I recall that ruling. I saw something about it a few months ago. I'm thinking another motorcycle or older musclecar because I'm damn sure not keeping that lump of charcoal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The lady that was suppose to be Mrs 89Saleen had a change of heart (TG it happened BEFORE we got married). Anyway.....I'm now the owner of an engagement ring and ladies wedding band She's worn it for 1 1/2 years.

What's the best/easiest way to sell it? How do I figure out it's current value?

Thanks

melt it down into a bullet so if you ever have to kill a demon you can
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Hold on to it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I vote for titanium nipple rings.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Have You Ever Tried To Sell A Diamond?

-Troy

Cliff's Please?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Do that thingy we can't say anymore and post pics.

GR
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#21]
I am in this very boat myself. I had mine cutom made. It apprasied for twice what I paid for it and it is up for sale at about $100.00 under what I paid for it. I am hugley torn about this but I think selling it will help me move on. Hell when we broke up I had the thing in my hand standing on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean ready to toss it in. The fact that it is 2 carats is the only thing that kept it in my hand...

IPSC_GUY
SIERRA II ALPHA
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:37:15 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Don't sell it.  Even if you don't keep it as an engagement ring for the next future Mrs. 89Saleen, you could always have the diamond remounted into some other type of jewelry for her.

Recycled gems (unless they are heirloom) are bad JuJu...

[DeBeers] Recycled gems are bad JuJu!  Buy new from DeBeers [/DeBeers]

Hey...if Debeers starts using that, do I get a royalty or something?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep it as a reminder.

Wear it on a chain around your neck as a reminder of what all the bull shit cost you and all of the pain.

When a woman asks what that is around your neck, say it was the engagement ring you were gonna give your g/f before she died. It will get you sympathy poon.

[montyburns]"Smithers, get me that saucy fellow's name- I like the cut of that fellow's jib!"[/montyburns]

Oh and the diamond market is a whole fucking scam, a nasty bloody, materialistic scam that keeps parts of Africa in shambles and perpetuates materialism in women.

Absolutely right.

My wife and I never went in for that big-as-a-house diamond engagement/wedding ring BS. Just a simple gold band. Of course, she's not American, so, that's probably why.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Whatever you get, just make sure to sue the bitch for the depreciation value!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Diamonds only have the ridiculous value they do because women have been brainwashed from birth to think they do.

Amen.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The price of diamonds is artificially inflated by the DeBeers cartel and their control over the supply.

Also, the technology for lab grown diamonds is rapdily maturing and will be capable of generating flawless diamonds at a fraction of the DeBeers price.

Do more research, okay? DeBeers is the largest MAKER of diamonds in the world, too.

ETA See what I highlighted in blue. Jewelers can always tell lab created stones. Their value is shit. I will not explain why, as you can probably guess.

The true value of all diamonds is shit.  DeBeers artificially inflates the price of what should be a semi-precious stone.  Damn dude, did Zales let you off early today?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Diamonds only have the ridiculous value they do because women have been brainwashed from birth to think they do.

Amen.

Not to be contentious, but to point out "value".

Explain how an AR-15 has the ridiculous value it has?

Perceived value=value.

Women (and men) perceive diamonds to have value. Therefore they're expensive.

AR-15's have value in excess of the cost of manufacture/marketing. An AR has what? $25.00 worth of steel, aluminum and synthetics in it? Retailing at $1000.00+

Diamonds have value in excess of the cost of mining/cutting/polishing/grading/marketing, as well.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The true value of all diamonds is shit.  DeBeers artificially inflates the price of what should be a semi-precious stone.  Damn dude, did Zales let you off early today?

Never said they didn't, just explained why the price point is where it is.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Perceived value=value.

+1

Some indian tribe in Australia would put a higher value on their
favorite pointy stick than all the gold in the world.

Women are emotional beings.

To get pussy, men need to make women happy.

The psychologist on M*A*S*H said it best.
Everything in the world is based on sex.

Women are happy when they feel good about themselves.

One way a woman will feel good about themselves is when
other women admire something about them.

I purchased the ring I did for my wife because I NEVER wanted her to admire
someone else's ring over hers.

If all it takes is a rock to make her feel special, then it is worth whatever Debeers wants.

My wife would have been happy without a diamond.  
But I couldn't respect myself to let that happen.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:58:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If the diamond market was deregulated (as the US .gov wants), then all the stones in the world would drop to their ACTUAL worth. Which is only about $30 per carat. The INTRINSIC worth of diamonds is much higher. Everywhere in the world. Diamonds have been, and remain, a valued commodity globally. This is a short answer as to how they appreciate. Remove the perceived value of the stones, and the actual value will fall. Even without marketing, people all over the world have desired diamonds for centuries. Now with global markets and easier mining access and greater kimberlite pipe knowledge, the market must remain globally regulated to sustain value.

So they have to maintain an artificial 'shortage' in order to keep prices at a level they find acceptable, is what you're saying?

Also, you're going to have to explain the differences between INTRINSIC and ACTUAL worth for those of us that don't have our thumbs on the pulse of the highly-complicated global diamond commodity market.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Perceived value=value.

+1

Some indian tribe in Australia would put a higher value on their
favorite pointy stick than all the gold in the world.

Women are emotional beings.

To get pussy, men need to make women happy.

The psychologist on M*A*S*H said it best.
Everything in the world is based on sex.

Women are happy when they feel good about themselves.

Women feel good about themselves when other women admire something about them.

I purchased the ring I did for my wife because I NEVER wanted her to admire
someone else's ring over hers.

If all it takes is a rock to make her feel special, then it is worth whatever Debeers wants.

But I couldn't respect myself to let that happen.

+1 to this. Some women just don't like diamonds. Period. Gem wise they gravitate towards other equally expensive stones instead. Look at the prices for emeralds and rubies. Equal carat weight to a diamond will cost you more based on stone quality. For two precious stones that are (globally) just as common as gem quality diamonds.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep it as a reminder.

Wear it on a chain around your neck as a reminder of what all the bull shit cost you and all of the pain.

When a woman asks what that is around your neck, say it was the engagement ring you were gonna give your g/f before she died. It will get you sympathy poon.

[montyburns]"Smithers, get me that saucy fellow's name- I like the cut of that fellow's jib!"[/montyburns]

Oh and the diamond market is a whole fucking scam, a nasty bloody, materialistic scam that keeps parts of Africa in shambles and perpetuates materialism in women.

Absolutely right.

My wife and I never went in for that big-as-a-house diamond engagement/wedding ring BS. Just a simple gold band. Of course, she's not American, so, that's probably why.

DeBeers is aggressively marketing the diamond engagment ring / image thing to developing markets.  Last I read they had even made serious inroads into China - a country where the idea of an egagement ring really didn't exist that long ago - now the "diamond" engagement ring is becoming an accepted norm there as well.

How anyone could defend an "above the law" monopoly like Debeers is mindboggling.  Comparing it to the free market in AR-type rifles is a travesty of logic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So they have to maintain an artificial 'shortage' in order to keep prices at a level they find acceptable, is what you're saying?

Also, you're going to have to explain the differences between INTRINSIC and ACTUAL worth for those of us that don't have our thumbs on the pulse of the highly-complicated global diamond commodity market.

Yes, DeBeers controls the global market by maintaining the commodity level through restriction of free commerce. ETA But remember, DeBeers owns the stones they release, owns the mines the stones come from, and has the right to sell to siteholders or not. If DeBeers refused to release stones for a year, any already out on the market WOULD go up in value. That is considerable control on an essentially unneeded commodity, but fashion/culture/perception of value drives the market. Also, the siteholders don't release all the diamonds they purchase from DeBeers, thereby hedging the market, so DeBeers isn't the only culprit. Your local jeweler probably has stones in a safe that are not for sale, until there is a shortfall of that particular cut, weight, grade, etc. Then they will sell for higher retail, just sound business strategy. Buy low/sell high.

INTRINSIC worth=perceived value

ACTUAL worth=worth of the stone in comparison to its commonality

Better?

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1 to this. Some women just don't like diamonds. Period.

My woman, in her own words, doesn't care.  She isn't materialistic.
She would have been happy with just a plain band.

But when she broke down and cried when she saw it, it was worth every penny.

I have purchased more dollars worth of guns than her ring cost,
and she has never said a negative word about it.

She is into buying shoes.  Lucky for me, that only means she buys two or three
pair a year.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
If it was a nice stone, it would come out and I would soon have a new pinky ring.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:53:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Problem solved.

I talked with my mother tonight and told her what I was going to do with it (most likely trading it in for store credit). She reminded me that she lost her stone in her wedding ring several years ago and hasn't had the $$$ to replace it so, i told her she could have the rings if she didn't feel like there was some bad juju with it. She said not at all since I bought it and she gets it. Her ring was a solitare and so was the one for the soon (not) to be Mrs 89Saleen only the one I bought is larger (I think). She is going to keep the stones and remount them into her wedding set. She was sooo happy for it. So in the end I still made a woman very happy
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Problem solved.

I talked with my mother tonight and told her what I was going to do with it (most likely trading it in for store credit). She reminded me that she lost her stone in her wedding ring several years ago and hasn't had the $$$ to replace it so, i told her she could have the rings if she didn't feel like there was some bad juju with it. She said not at all since I bought it and she gets it. Her ring was a solitare and so was the one for the soon (not) to be Mrs 89Saleen only the one I bought is larger (I think). She is going to keep the stones and remount them into her wedding set. She was sooo happy for it. So in the end I still made a woman very happy

Class act, bro.

Indeed, what a guy......the other broad missed out
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Since you aren't going to get what you paid for it, and the price of metals keeps going up, you might want to "safe" it for the time being.

Just keep your trap shut and when you do find the right one, you've already got part done, just re-size it.

I say keep you trap shut because I think it might bother some women to know that the ring wasn't initially bought for them, but since it's just a SYMBOL, it really shouldn't matter, but that's just MHO.

Loose Lips sink ships! Practice Op-Sec at home!

P.S. I'd stay WAYYYY away from Pawn Shops!  They make their money back on re-selling that stuff!  Think "pennies on the dollar" for what they're going to give you.

replace with WILL!!!!!                                                any
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:20:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bla, bla, bla, and you can put your fake diamond on the finger of a Real Doll.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Problem solved.

You DA Man!  It's Cool that you gave it to your mother and made the most special woman in the world to you happy.  KUDOS!  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Problem solved.

You DA Man!  It's Cool that you gave it to your mother and made the most special woman in the world to you happy.  KUDOS!  

great plan

it always good when mom is happy!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Problem solved.

I read somewhere once that a woman can tell the quality of a man based on how he treats his mother.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:56:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Problem solved.

That IS a cool solution. FTR? "Bad JuJu" can't apply to mom, silly!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:33:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Awsome.

That's Damn Nice, and mothers deserve it for all the crap we put them through as kids!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:05:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

It's not just "a rock."
It's a symbol of your love for your wife. Recycling love symbols MAKES it "just a rock."

You hear that whirr?

That's DeBeers sucking the brain out of another one.  It's sad really.  

You're right though.. It IS a symbol of your love.  It's a big ostentatious way to show her (well really, all of her female friends and family) that you are willing to mindlessly give up ridiculous sums of money for something that means absolutely nothing to you because she wants it.  If you can really impress the hen pack, it'll keep her smiling long enough to get through the worst of the early Bridezilla phase of engagement without too much pain.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not just "a rock."

You hear that whirr?

You're right though.. It IS a symbol of your love.  It's a big ostentatious way to show her (well really, all of her female friends and family) that you are willing to mindlessly give up ridiculous sums of money for something that means absolutely nothing to you because she wants it.  If you can really impress the hen pack, it'll keep her smiling long enough to get through the worst of the early Bridezilla phase of engagement without too much pain.

Oh bite me. Sad. meh.
What's sad is that You totally missed my point.
I don't care if the ring is a diamond or a freshwater pearl. Bottom line, you are pledging your love thru a symbol. Even if that symbol is a cigar band, recycling said band to the next pledged love is frikkin tacky.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:33:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not just "a rock."

You hear that whirr?

Oh bite me. Sad. meh.
What's sad is that You totally missed my point.
I don't care if the ring is a diamond or a freshwater pearl. Bottom line, you are pledging your love thru a symbol. Even if that symbol is a cigar band, recycling said band to the next pledged love is frikkin tacky.

I agree with you, that would be tacky.  The whole process is tacky though, and being raped twice by the Cartel is not only disgustingly tacky, it's fiscally absurd.  Seems that those on the recieving end of the stones often forget that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with you, that would be tacky.  The whole process is tacky though, and being raped twice by the Cartel is not only disgustingly tacky, it's fiscally absurd.  Seems that those on the recieving end of the stones often forget that.

I disagree...if she had truly forgotten, she woulda kept the rock.
I mean, nothing legally obliges a woman to return it...even if it was SHE who broke the engagement, I believe (all you leagel beagles feel free to correct me).

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:46:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Problem solved.

That's a cool thing to do.

I was going to suggest that you melt the rings down and make a ring for YOU!

That's what my dad did with a set of rings he was about to give to my mom just before she decided to get a divorce.

He melted the rings down and made a gigantic ring for himself that will be passed onto me one of these days.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top