Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 1:58:44 PM EDT
For the first time I will be smoking BBQ ribbs on a charcoal smoker. I have always cookked ribbs on a charcoal grill but I have neevr smoked them. I would like your recipes please. I would like to know your meat prep, marinades, what alcohol you use to jerk them(if you do), what temp and how long you cook them. The last time I asked for help it was for a turkey around Thanksgiving and it came out great. Thanks guys...
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
One of my favorite rib recipes:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/5461

Cook 'em low 'n' slow for 4-6 hours.

And simmer the sauce for at least a couple of hours to thicken it up a bit.

Haven't tried it yet, but these would probably be good w/ a little apple wood smoke.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:06:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir...anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#3]
C'mon boys....it's gettin close to the holiday!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I like to boil the ribs for 15 mins or so, then put them on the grill on a low heat, basting in your favorite sauce. Hard to beat if you ask me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
SWEET *GOD* MAN, please, ignore any and ALL advice that involves the boiling of ribs.  NEVER BOIL RIBS, it't just unholy dammit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like to boil the ribs for 15 mins or so, then put them on the grill on a low heat, basting in your favorite sauce. Hard to beat if you ask me.

Boiling ribs?

COOK IT WITH FIRE!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:57:15 PM EDT
[#8]
texans don't know anything about good barbecue  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]
And so, now for some real advice:

A) Salt and peer makes a GREAT rub, use white pepper in a 1/1 mix with salt.  Then, a little paprika on the top.

B) Let the ribs stay at room temp for about 30 minutes prior to going in the smoker, this cyuts down on creosote on the surface, which is bitter.

C) Have patience.  About 200 is my favorite temp, and a rack or two of ribs should take 4-5 hours at that temp.

D) I could go on and on with all sortsa fancy happy-crap, but it's all junk until you get the basics of making a tender rack, WITHOUT BOILING THEM, down pat.  SO, as said, try salt, pepper, paprika, slow and low, enjoy.  And don't put any sauce on them, either, that's for boiled ribs.  Oh, and I like mesquite over hickory, much smoother.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
texans don't know anything about good barbecue  

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#11]
low and slow.......200-225 degrees for 4-6 hrs.  I marinade mine in Worcestershire sauce overnight, wrap in foil and cook on mesquite wood for 4-6 hrs.  With about 30 minutes to 1hr time left, I unwrap them and cover them with a thin layer of sauce, then ever 10 minutes or so while finishing cooking I paint on more sauce.  Dammit, now you've made me hungy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh yeah, and the best BBQ in the world comes from Harold's Pit BBQ in Abilene, TX.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Beef or pork ribs?  Just search epicurious.com and also foodtv.com  look for the dry rub with the right amount of hot v/s sweet for your taste.  For smoking, go with a dry rub instead of a marinade and mopping sauce...you won't be taking the lid off the smoker.  Any recipe will take overnight for the rub and 4 hours on the smoker.  Apple and cherry are my favorite woods to smoke.  I don't parboil or jerk, either.  If I want some sort of bourbon or rum flavor I put it in the bbq sauce.  Make sure the water pan in the smoker starts out nearly full, and keep enough soaked wood for you to be able to add a few chunks every hour or so.  You will also need to add some charcoal a couple of times.

My dry rub for pork ribs is in this ratio:
9 brown sugar
6 paprika
2 salt
2 pepper
2 oregano
1 onion powder
1 cayenne

I like to do a sweeter rub, and do two different sauces (a sweet and a hot) when I'm doing for a crowd.   Some like a spicier rub...swap the paprika and brown sugar ratios.  I've added 1 part dry mustard when I want it a little hotter.  

Previous threads have established that Texans don't know shit from applebutter about ribs, or BBQ in general.  Seek a Texan for advice on how to talk out of your ass.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Rub the ribs with some of this:

I also use a little ground red pepper to give them a little zip.  Then cook slowly with mesquite.  Comes out great every time.  One more thing...

NEVER BOIL RIBS!!!

It makes the Baby Jesus cry.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Boiling ribs?

COOK IT WITH FIRE!!!

har... purest scream but i've done this and they are GREAT!

baby backs... pressure cook (don't boil) for 15 minutes. remove from cooker. have fire ready. we use a big weber kettle. get coals hot, push to one side, load hickory chips in put ribs on the other side covered with your choice bbq sauce. wait 15 minutes. uncover, flip and repaint with sauce, recover another 15 minutes. eatemup skeleton...

i swear.. people think this method sucks. until the taste the ribs. smokin em slow may be the purest way, but often the ribs are a bit tough. the pressure cook and short bbg makes them very tender and tastee...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#16]
This is my grill recipe; It might work in a smoker, but just take longer to cook.

Babyback ribs - remove the clear skin-like membrane from the back of the ribs; I use a sharp knife & work it under the layer & then peel it.

Apply a Rub; my current favorite & fast one - 1/2+ cup brown sugar; 2+ tablespoons of kosher salt; 1 tablespoon of both chili powder & ground black pepper (I'm not a pepper fan so I cut back on it; adjust to your taste).

Wrap & refrigerate at least 2 hours; let sit at room temp at least 30 minutes before cooking.

I cook these with indirect heat on one side of the grill with the coals on the edge of the other side of the grill & can cook 3 racks & I rotate which one is closest to the coals & always leave the bone side down; this is with a large Weber grill; a smaller grill may not cook 3 racks indirectly.

After 1.5 to two hours wrap in aluminum foil & let sit on the kitchen counter another half hour.

Ready to go with Sauce

Edit for spelling
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
fuck it...microwave them.

I give up
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This is my grill recipe; It might work in a smoker, but just take longer to cook.

Babyback ribs - remove the clear skin-like membrane from the back of the ribs; I use a sharp knife (a fork works nicely too. and you don't run the risk of slicing the shit outta hand/arm while doing it) & work it under the layer & then peel it.

ETA... This is what I use for the spice.
Kinda small image but it's famous dave's rib rub.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Get in the car and drive to the grocery store.  Head to the refridgerated food section, near the other meat items.  Look down.  Yup, prepackaged racks of ribs.  Follow instructions on package.  ENJOY

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#20]
We hashed this out not more than two weeks ago. Why does a teamer use the search button and post the link?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We hashed this out not more than two weeks ago. Why does a teamer use the search button and post the link?

why dont you pony up and enjoy that function for yourself??

edited: i searched BBQ and recipe and didnt find anything to match in the last 30 days, several threads about grilling and what is your fav type stuff but no recipe thread, sorry

edited again: i found this though

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=490465

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Rub with Texas BBQ Rub
Smoke at 225* for 3 hours
Wrap in foil, smoke for 2 more hours
Open foil, glaze with Texas Pepper Jelly Pineapple Habanero, smoke for 1 more hour
Slice and serve

Don't boil ribs.  Ever.  It's a sure sign of either Yankeedom or just plain ignorance.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Let the ribs get to room temp about an hour before you want to put them on.  Coat them with olive oil then dust heavily with coarse ground black pepper, garlic powder and onion powder (Lowery's Seasoned Pepper works OK).  Rub on about a teaspoon of yellow mustard.  

Get your smoker going with good coals of oak, mesquite, pecan or hickory and stabilize the temp between 175º-200º.   Smoke for about two hours with the meaty side up, then pull the ribs out, wrap with foil and let them cook for at least four more hours (longer at lower temps).  

You will need to experiment a few times to adjust your technique to match your smoker... they are all different.  (For instance, where the thermometer is makes a big difference in the temp readings you get.)  This is what I use for baby backs.  If you are doing beef, plan on cooking longer both in & out of the foil.    

You won't need BBQ sauce, but be sure to drink a beer with the ribs!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:08:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Rub with Texas BBQ Rub
Open foil, glaze with Texas Pepper Jelly Pineapple Habanero, smoke for 1 more hour
Slice and serve

Don't boil ribs.  Ever.  It's a sure sign of either Yankeedom or just plain ignorance.

I will add a big +1 to this "recipe".  Both the rub and the jelly make for some fine tasting ribs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks guys...BTW I would never ever boil ribs!!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:42:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Use pecan wood especially when cooking pork. I aint giving you anything more than that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 1:51:04 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That loud noise you just heard was my nutsack spontaneously sucking up into my body upon reading "boil the ribs".

DUDE...!

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That loud noise you just heard was my nutsack spontaneously sucking up into my body upon reading "boil the ribs".

DUDE...!

No shit.  The mere mention of boiling ribs makes my genitals retract into my body cavity too.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Boil ribs!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

Many good recipes. Indirect and low and slow. 200-225 over mesquite.

About the only thing I do different is I wrap them in several layers of tinfoil until the last 15 minutes or so.If I'm only cooking 2 racks I will sometimes wrap both in the same foil wrap so that they simmer and stay moist.

This thread has made the baby Jesus hungry
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 5:58:57 PM EDT
[#31]
don't boil ribs...ever!

I use a dry rub, consisting of:
salt
pepper
paprika
brown sugar
cumin
dehydrated onion flakes

rub it in & let it sit in the fridge overnight
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Rub with Texas BBQ Rub
Slice and serve

Ding Ding we have a winner the 3-2-1 method and you'll have very tender ribs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top