Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2006 7:06:48 PM EDT
I just picked up a VERY clean & well-maintained full-size 2000 model GMC Extended Cab Z71...my only gripe is that it has the damned daytime running lights/headlights that come on whenever the key is turned on.

It's pretty damned annoying...

How can I take care of this "problem"?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
i have an 01.  press the dome light toggle switch four times.  it should chime.  this will also disable your automatic lights, so if you need headlights, you'll have to turn them on manually.

to turn them back on, press the button four more times.

this is a temporary solution.  they will come back on the next time you start up.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I have always heard that if you push the emergency brake pedal in a click or two it will turn the running lights off. Might be a myth, try it .
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:12:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Remove the relay.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2004.5, so I'm not sure if we have the same mechanism.

I'd have to check the owner's manual about disabling them, but I just turn them off when I want to.  I have "auto" lights that turn on when it gets dark.  I turn the knob to the left, then it goes back into place itself.  This turns off the lights until the ignition is turned off.  Then it resets.

Toggling the dome light as mentioned earlier does the same.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Push the dome light button 4 times. This is true for the '00 too. I have one.

You could also simply remove the bulbs too. Pop the hood, take out the headlights, and reachdown to remove the running light lamps.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i have an 01.  press the dome light toggle switch four times.  it should chime.  this will also disable your automatic lights, so if you need headlights, you'll have to turn them on manually.

to turn them back on, press the button four more times.

this is a temporary solution.  they will come back on the next time you start up.

+1

This should work!
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#7]
What's wrong with DRLs?

They help persuade granny not to pull out in front of you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
"You could also simply remove the bulbs too. Pop the hood, take out the headlights, and reachdown to remove the running light lamps."

That is a surefire way to accomplish your goal.

BTW I hope you enjoy your truck.

If you have any more questions:

www.fullsizechevy.com
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I fail to see how this could annoy someone INSIDE the vehicle.....
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have always heard that if you push the emergency brake pedal in a click or two it will turn the running lights off. Might be a myth, try it .

Thats no myth.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a 2004.5, so I'm not sure if we have the same mechanism.

I'd have to check the owner's manual about disabling them, but I just turn them off when I want to.  I have "auto" lights that turn on when it gets dark.  I turn the knob to the left, then it goes back into place itself.  This turns off the lights until the ignition is turned off.  Then it resets.

Toggling the dome light as mentioned earlier does the same.

This is a newer feature.  The 99 thru 02 (i think) only has the three selections on the knob.  auto, parking, and headlights.

just to hijack, i love my Z71.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad to see I'm not the only guy who hates those things.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#14]
i like 'em.  like a previous poster mentioned, helps keep idiots from pulling out in front of you.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Help me out here -

Me, I turn on my headlights pretty much instinctively after I start my car - day or night.  I suppose I would like to have daytime running lights.   Not sure where I picked up the habit - probably either from motorcycle guys or the Army.  As such, I think DRLs are a good idea - on the surface.

Why would you want to deactivate them?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#16]
i now have a black car.  i was thinking the same thing for if i ever was going to do some super sleuth sneaky work where i'd want to get bullet holes shot in my car because people thought i was a criminal.

either way i'd like to have the option to cut the lights.  i mean hey.....in a SHTF situation maybe daytimes would be BAD
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#17]
sweet i gotta try it tomorrow those piss me offf
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats no myth.

Worked on my wife's 98 Tahoe

Also worked on  97 S-10 i had
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Remove the relay.

Correct!!

But, why do you find it annoying?  Also, they should not come on until you put the truck in gear.  (commercial trucks it is by releasing the parking brake)  I love them.  I will not drive unless I have my lights on.  This was even before DRLs came out.  When I had a VW, I just kept the light switch on and when I shut the ignition off, the lights went off.  I was just given a caddy fleetwood brougham with auto headlights and love that too.  I set it to max activation.  Too many people will drive with just marker lights on or even less when headlights are really needed.  I find this to be a safety feature that is long over due.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]
If my DRLs keep one of the shithead teenagers from the HS around the corner from plowing into me, they're worth it.  Nothing like living next to a high school _and_ a student driver school to keep you on your toes.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 8:45:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]

What's wrong with DRLs?

I don't mind giving up control of the vehicle for some things (engine management) but for the basics it drives me batty to have lights come on without my direct input. It shouldn't come on unitl I turn it on. I should be able to start my car without headlights coming on.

If the dumb teenager or blind oldster can't see my big huge car it's not likely they'll pay much attention to the shiny lights, either.

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 9:23:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

I don't mind giving up control of the vehicle for some things (engine management) but for the basics it drives me batty to have lights come on without my direct input. It shouldn't come on unitl I turn it on. I should be able to start my car without headlights coming on.

If the dumb teenager or blind oldster can't see my big huge car it's not likely they'll pay much attention to the shiny lights, either.

You mean that car driving in the fog crossing the line into my lane that I can't see because he doesn't have any lights on?  Or the one in the rain that I almost rear end because he is rolling at 20mph on the interstate in the hammer lane and doesn't have any lights on?  

I love DRLs and wish that it would carry over to all around lighting.  Your wipers come on and all lights come on.  Or, simply, when the vehicle is taken out of park, all lights activate (marker and tail and headlight).  Too many idiots will not use their lights as they are supposed to and thereby create very unsafe conditions.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

... you've never touched a motorcycle ever, have you?
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I odnt wear a seatbelt, but I always drive with my lights on.

I had to have my Liberty reprogrammed (3 dealerships later) to get DRL's. Seems it was available in the foreign models, but not the domestics. Now, my Liberty thinks its a Canadian. Took out the High beam Replay, inserted the DRL relay, voila!

Elusive fix, not easy to accomplish. Mine is one of the very few early models with DRL's.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

If they really worked, I wouldn't have had knee surgery last year, since the little fuckstick wouldn't have pulled out in front of me on my bike.

I don't like them, and disable them as soon as I get my vehicles home. Remove the key-in and door-open chime too.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:05:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

You mean that car driving in the fog crossing the line into my lane that I can't see because he doesn't have any lights on?  Or the one in the rain that I almost rear end because he is rolling at 20mph on the interstate in the hammer lane and doesn't have any lights on?  

I love DRLs and wish that it would carry over to all around lighting.  Your wipers come on and all lights come on.  Or, simply, when the vehicle is taken out of park, all lights activate (marker and tail and headlight).  Too many idiots will not use their lights as they are supposed to and thereby create very unsafe conditions.

A guy can't see the painted line dividing the lanes but you thinkhe's going to notice you? In fog, why not just turn your headlights on? I can do that without having my car do it for me. DRLs don't always turn on the rear lights. You could've rear ended a car with DRLs.

There's an ON switch in all cars. I want my own judgement to be the deciding factor, not the judgement of some automotive engineer. My judgement while driving has not failed me yet. (Marriage is another matter entirely!)
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats no myth.

Worked on my wife's 98 Tahoe

That's how I turn'em off on the 98 Yukon too
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

If they really worked, I wouldn't have had knee surgery last year, since the little fuckstick wouldn't have pulled out in front of me on my bike.

I don't like them, and disable them as soon as I get my vehicles home. Remove the key-in and door-open chime too.

They do work. This is a no brainer, it shouldn't take much to figure out IMPROVING the visibility of a car is a good thing. Saying they all don't work cause you lucked out is pretty silly thinking.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:18:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I just pulled the fuse in my old '97 Z71. I sometimes ride around with NVGs at nite in the countryside, so DRLs are a big minus for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 10:38:07 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I just pulled the fuse in my old '97 Z71. I sometimes ride around with NVGs at nite in the countryside, so DRLs are a big minus for me.

Now that's an interesting hobby.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Look at fuse box under the hood and pull the fuse marked DRL.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:11:40 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yep, that's just what i did.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:18:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, that's just what i did.

Me too. Hard to kill the lights and sneak into the driveway when you have DRL's.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:21:14 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

They do work. This is a no brainer, it shouldn't take much to figure out IMPROVING the visibility of a car is a good thing. Saying they all don't work cause you lucked out is pretty silly thinking.

That what you really think? Or are you just toeing the line since you're required to have 'em no matter what?

I don't want something that automatically locks my doors for me, or turns my windshield wipers on, or turns my headlights on. Maybe it's just the American Way.

Edit: And keep that freaky-ass OnStar shit away from me too! If I wanted people to be able to track me, I'd put a GPS in my ass.
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like FUN!!!!

Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:35:19 PM EDT
[#37]
You know, there appears to be plenty of folks out there who feel it is their right to choose how when to "light up"..

www.lightsout.org/disable.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2006 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like FUN!!!!

You know whats fun as hell? hit a backroad with a pair of 7-Bravos, turn off all the lights and see how fast you can go before your friends shit their pants! nothing quite like doing 95 down a turnrow and looking over to see your buddies mouthing a prayer!

of course, that was my younger and dumber days....

Seriously tho, I found it quite easy to drive 60-70 with a good pair. it was always erie to let someone else drive and realize how freaky a feeling it is to be traveling rather quickly over terrain you can't see...
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

It has to do with how far away people can see your vehicle.  I think its something like people can see a vehiclelike 2000ft farther away with its lights on during the day than without.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

That what you really think? Or are you just toeing the line since you're required to have 'em no matter what?

I don't want something that automatically locks my doors for me, or turns my windshield wipers on, or turns my headlights on. Maybe it's just the American Way.

Edit: And keep that freaky-ass OnStar shit away from me too! If I wanted people to be able to track me, I'd put a GPS in my ass.

I'm toeing the line because it's common f'ing sense.
Not only am I required to have DRLs, but I turn on my lights due to habit, not legislation. Get over yourself pronto.

I can understand you not wanting to have doors and wipers not turn on automatically, but DRLs that completely unaffect you since you're in the freaking car? Why the balls not? Maybe you should turn down your annoyance sensitivity.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Just out of curiousity, why do they annoy you? I have them on my Canyon...I wouldn't even know it if it wasn't for the little light on my dash...

Besides its a 10% discount on my insurance, and for 10% off, I don't really care if they are on!
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
You know, there appears to be plenty of folks out there who feel it is their right to choose how when to "light up"..

Their "case agasint DRLs" is so laughable even a 5 year old could counter every single point.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I'd prefer to control my own lights, but it's no big deal if my vehicle has DRL's
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I suppose you want to control the airbag(s) in your vehicle also.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their "case agasint DRLs" is so laughable even a 5 year old could counter every single point.

So what? I understand their point, just like I understand those who hate motorcycle helmet laws, seatbelt laws, or gun control laws.

They don't like someone else enforcing their decisions on them. The automakers decide you need DRL's so they force them on you.

Now, I don't mind my DRL's, so I leave them be....I wear my seatbelt (most of the time) because its the smart thing to do, and I want to, not because my namby pamby nanny state tells me I must.

So the guy wants to cut his DRL's, its his choice...it shouldn't be some guy in Detroits or some guy in Washingtons....

I just don't see how they are annoying....
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

I'm toeing the line because it's common f'ing sense.
Not only am I required to have DRLs, but I turn on my lights due to habit, not legislation. Get over yourself pronto.

I can understand you not wanting to have doors and wipers not turn on automatically, but DRLs that completely unaffect you since you're in the freaking car? Why the balls not? Maybe you should turn down your annoyance sensitivity.

I understand your attitude, in a place where everyone is expected to handle things for you. I'd prefer to have to handle little things like that myself. I have no need to get over myself, I'd just rather have the option of being able to NOT have my lights on. There are actually times when it's a good thing, for some of us.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#47]
I wanted the ability to turn them off on my Tundra because when I am hunting and driving to a spot, I do not want any additional alert given to the wildlife.

Seydou
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#48]
My insurance (USAA) offers a discount if you have DRLs on your car/truck.  Check with your company, maybe they do the same.

- CD
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#49]

If the bacon eaters think it's a good idea, then I don't want them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's wrong with DRLs?

+ fricking 1!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top